Teaching Experience

Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Cate502 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching Experience

Hi, I am currently half way through a Primary PGCE course and have a BA (Hons) degree in English and History. My boyfriend has dual nationality and Australian citizenship and we are thinking of moving there either next year or the following one (so wouldn't need skills points). Am just wondering whether I will need to have completed my NQT year here in order to teach in Australia?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:10 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching Experience

No you won't need to complete the NQT year, but most schools would look for some work experience.

If you did complete it, it would also make it much easier to work back in the UK in the future.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Cate502 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, is a good point about coming back to the UK, completing the year would also allow me to save up some more money. Will have to investigate both options a bit further I think!
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

I would definitely say it is much better to do your NQT year and then go out.

From my own experience of teaching, the NQT year is the most important; it's when you really develop your own teaching style and build your confidence, I also think you get lots of support and funding to do this in this country (most schools are given a minimum of £1000 per NQT to allow you to do additional training course in your first year)

Now i'm not saying you would not get that in OZ as I really don't know, what I would say however is that permanent jobs are not always immediately available from what I gather from posts on here and friends who are in OZ now; you may find that although you can get regular work it will be supply. I'm not sure in my first year that I would have developed my teacher stare enough at that stage (I hope you know what I mean) to deal with all the challenges faced particularly in a supply role.

At the end of the day the final decision is yours, but I would think very carefully. If you are really serious about a carear in teaching, one year is a small price to pay. As you say, there is also the advantage of being able to save some money.

Good luck with whatever you decide.