Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teaching Australia Assessment

Teaching Australia Assessment

Old Mar 8th 2008, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

blackjack041 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching Australia Assessment

Hi, I'm in the process of having my qualifications assessed by Teaching Australia; recommended by WA when I enquired about sponsorship.

I am currently in my second year of teaching (in UK) and I've notice on the application form that assessment requires 2 years min. Does anyone know if Teaching Australia will provide my with an assessment or should I wait until the end of the academic year?

Cheers

Pete.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Teaching Australia Assessment

Originally Posted by blackjack041
Hi, I'm in the process of having my qualifications assessed by Teaching Australia; recommended by WA when I enquired about sponsorship.

I am currently in my second year of teaching (in UK) and I've notice on the application form that assessment requires 2 years min. Does anyone know if Teaching Australia will provide my with an assessment or should I wait until the end of the academic year?

Cheers

Pete.
where did you find that? I don't believe there is any min expereince for the assessment as this is about qualifications not work experience. Can you quote or provide a link to that section and we'll see if we can figure out what it's on about.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

If you read the Check list for applicants -

http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/...m21Jan2008.doc

there is a comment reading:

certified copies of evidence of two years of full-time employment (or part-time equivalent) as a teacher in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America in the last five (5) years. Employment must have been conducted in the English language.

however the comment appears to be indented under the statement to provide evidence for ability to speak english language:

evidence of your English language ability to answer Question 18

I am just not sure whether I have misread the statement or what!!!!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:16 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I think you have misread it.

It says for Question 18 - "You must provide evidence with your application that you meet ONE of the following four criteria"

If you meet 18a (that you were born and educated in the UK or other country stated) then thats all you need to do.

If you weren't, then you need to meet ONE of either 18b, 18c or 18d.

Good luck.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

If its the 457 sponsorship by WA, we only needed WACOT registeration. We did not need to do Teaching Australia registeration.

GEMS
PS, teaching Australia is required for Permanent visa you do yourself.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gems
If its the 457 sponsorship by WA, we only needed WACOT registeration. We did not need to do Teaching Australia registeration.

GEMS
PS, teaching Australia is required for Permanent visa you do yourself.
I have had discussions with them about transferring it to a Permanent visa etc... could be why?! I have no idea really, just following their recommendations!

Gems, what are you doing in WA? Primary or Secondary? Where did they place you?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

I believe after 2 years service in WA they will sponser you for PR if you meet the other requirements. They may be advising you to get this assessment done now for that purpose.

You definately do not need the 2 years service to prove your english if you were born and/ or educated in an english speaking country. Nor do you need it for any other part of the assessment.

Is there a reason why you are going for a temp sponsered visa and not trying for a PR visa?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hereshoping
I believe after 2 years service in WA they will sponser you for PR if you meet the other requirements. They may be advising you to get this assessment done now for that purpose.

You definately do not need the 2 years service to prove your english if you were born and/ or educated in an english speaking country. Nor do you need it for any other part of the assessment.

Is there a reason why you are going for a temp sponsered visa and not trying for a PR visa?
Main reason is that WA will only sponsor on a 457 - it does mean that they place you in a school, etc.. at the moment, I'm keeping my options open. I'll get assessed from TA and decide then what I am going to do (its a big big decision with family in tow)
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by blackjack041
Main reason is that WA will only sponsor on a 457 - it does mean that they place you in a school, etc.. at the moment, I'm keeping my options open. I'll get assessed from TA and decide then what I am going to do (its a big big decision with family in tow)
True but if you can get there independently WACOT will still place you with a school. However if you are on a PR visa and you don't like the school or area you can move on, which is much trickier on a temp 457.

Of course this is only viable if you have the points for PR.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

BroomeChick will become famous soon enough

I applied to Teaching Australia 3 weeks ago. I will then go on for PR visa.

For TA you must have worked at least 12 months in the past 3 years as a teacher (full time). Not 2 years.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
True but if you can get there independently WACOT will still place you with a school. However if you are on a PR visa and you don't like the school or area you can move on, which is much trickier on a temp 457.

Of course this is only viable if you have the points for PR.
If WACOT place you in a school on a PR visa then why are they offering the 457?
I thought a guaranteed job would be available on the 457. If so PR visa and guaranteed job looks a better bet