Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teacher Registration - what to do while it's being processed?

Teacher Registration - what to do while it's being processed?

Old Feb 28th 2010, 10:47 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Teacher Registration - what to do while it's being processed?

Ok, I sent of my QLD Teacher Registration a fortnight ago, I was told because I was already in the country it'd take less time to process than if I was applying from overseas. WRONG! I was told today that it would not take the month I'd expected but instead three months, OR MORE?!!?! I am now sitting here gutted and well, very upset, I'll not deny it, I burst into tears when I finished the phonecall.

So my question is this, what could I possibly do, workwise that doesn't require me to get a qualification, meanwhile, while my Teacher Registration is being processed?! I ask this as I approached a local Irish bar/restaurant last week (thought I'd be a novelty for them in the run up to St Paddy's) about the possibility of some casual work, only to be told 'You will need an RSA (about serving alcohol responsibly) to work in a pub, sorry'. I need to start earning money in some shape or form pronto, my OH can't pay for everything while I wait for my Teacher Registration, it's simply NOT FAIR.

Please help me, I'm feeling very disheartened at the moment, and frankly, bl**dy useless!

Jen
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:48 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: Teacher Registration - what to do while it's being processed?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ok, I sent of my QLD Teacher Registration a fortnight ago, I was told because I was already in the country it'd take less time to process than if I was applying from overseas. WRONG! I was told today that it would not take the month I'd expected but instead three months, OR MORE?!!?! I am now sitting here gutted and well, very upset, I'll not deny it, I burst into tears when I finished the phonecall.

So my question is this, what could I possibly do, workwise that doesn't require me to get a qualification, meanwhile, while my Teacher Registration is being processed?! I ask this as I approached a local Irish bar/restaurant last week (thought I'd be a novelty for them in the run up to St Paddy's) about the possibility of some casual work, only to be told 'You will need an RSA (about serving alcohol responsibly) to work in a pub, sorry'. I need to start earning money in some shape or form pronto, my OH can't pay for everything while I wait for my Teacher Registration, it's simply NOT FAIR.

Please help me, I'm feeling very disheartened at the moment, and frankly, bl**dy useless!

Jen
Aw hun, that is crappy!!!! I tutor with a company called Kip McGrath - i never needed any registration or anything, just my teaching degree!! Maybe worth looking into if there is one near you - just a thought!! xx
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:52 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Aw hun, that is crappy!!!! I tutor with a company called Kip McGrath - i never needed any registration or anything, just my teaching degree!! Maybe worth looking into if there is one near you - just a thought!! xx
Cool, I'll look into it, they have 'him' or 'them' in NI as well lol
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:00 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Could you just get the RSA, it's only a 2 hour online course and costs around $75.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:35 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Cool, I'll look into it, they have 'him' or 'them' in NI as well lol
Going to a local private school today for an interview, not sure what the 'interview' is for, but hey ho. Tomorrow I'm going to see Kip McGrath.....

Will look into the RSA but only if there's actually any bar work locally, which it seems, there isn't....and I'm not working in a rough bar, that's for sure! I want to get home in one piece each day/night lol
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about doing support work in schools? While I was studying my teaching degree in Adelaide I worked at a school doing support work with an intellectually disabled child, the hours were good and the pay was good too. What age group are you qualified to work with? If you are Qualified to work with children in the Early Years you could do relief work as a Qualified Child care worker, there is always lots of work and the pay is good.

Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:22 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Aussie30
Have you thought about doing support work in schools? While I was studying my teaching degree in Adelaide I worked at a school doing support work with an intellectually disabled child, the hours were good and the pay was good too. What age group are you qualified to work with? If you are Qualified to work with children in the Early Years you could do relief work as a Qualified Child care worker, there is always lots of work and the pay is good.

A note on the childcare worker - 2 of my friends toured OZ after they finished uni (seperately). Both had teaching degrees and both 'fell' into this, as there was plently of work! BOTH ended up changing nappies!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

A note on the childcare worker - 2 of my friends toured OZ after they finished uni (seperately). Both had teaching degrees and both 'fell' into this, as there was plently of work! BOTH ended up changing nappies!!!!!!!!
Is that surprising to you? That is part of child care.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:37 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Garr, if that's the waiting time I don't think I'll bother!!! I've come back to Qld (unexpectedly) from China & let my Qld teacher rego expire as never thought I'd need it again...d'oh.

If you get your blue card you can do other child related work - it's a little cheaper than the RSA (well, it was when I got mine).

I'm going to use the long waiting times as an incentive not to teach & try to pursue (currently invisible) opportunities in libraries outside schools. Failing that it's back to living the dream on Mum's couch!!! How'd the private school meeting go?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:46 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
Garr, if that's the waiting time I don't think I'll bother!!! I've come back to Qld (unexpectedly) from China & let my Qld teacher rego expire as never thought I'd need it again...d'oh.

If you get your blue card you can do other child related work - it's a little cheaper than the RSA (well, it was when I got mine).

I'm going to use the long waiting times as an incentive not to teach & try to pursue (currently invisible) opportunities in libraries outside schools. Failing that it's back to living the dream on Mum's couch!!! How'd the private school meeting go?
They want to put me on their relief teachers list, but til I've my Teacher Registration, I can't actually teach! The Blue Card processing time is 6 to 8 weeks, GREAT not lol Was also told today I'd need to do my First Aid...MORE MONEY!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:46 am
Living the dream!

Originally Posted by Aussie30
Is that surprising to you? That is part of child care.
Yes, I think it is VERY surprising!!!!!! As a parent of a young child, i find it DEEPLY alarming that people who are not trained to deal with children of that age are being employed to do so!!! My degree (and that of my friends) trained us to cover ages 3-14 years, they were being expected to deal with younger children!!

Having spoken to Jen on numerous occasions, i don't think she would be after a job which entails changing shitty nappies, hence why I warned her! Of course I could be wrong, and it is just the change in career she is after!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:48 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Yes, I think it is VERY surprising!!!!!! As a parent of a young child, i find it DEEPLY alarming that people who are not trained to deal with children of that age are being employed to do so!!! My degree (and that of my friends) trained us to cover ages 3-14 years, they were being expected to deal with younger children!!

Having spoken to Jen on numerous occasions, i don't think she would be after a job which entails changing shitty nappies, hence why I warned her! Of course I could be wrong, and it is just the change in career she is after!
EWWWW NO TA, I only do dog shit, and that's with a shovel and into a plastic bag lol
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Well you didn't say that your friends were not qualified to look after babies and young children, my degree is Early Childhood Education which qualifies me to work with children aged Birth to 8 years. I worked in Child care for 8 years before doing my teaching degree, so a few nappy changes now and then doesn't faze me at all.
Also, not all child care work consists of changing nappies, you are able to work with pre-school age children also.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:48 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

hmm, don't remember my blue card taking so long but i applied for it whilst volunteering (which is free so maybe also faster processing??)

i've done some admin/reception work to fill the gaps in the past - at least you don't need a bloody certificate to do it, but that was through family so no idea where you'd start looking for that sort of work except the local papers? search 4 jobs have a few regional jobs - including Toowoomba. They mostly want boarding house supervisors at the moment.

It's so frustrating having to twiddle thumbs waiting for paperwork!! How is your garden looking, lol???
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

kat83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was also told today I'd need to do my First Aid...MORE MONEY!

What is the first aid course teachers are required to do? How do you arrange it?

Also, regarding applying for a blue card, does anyone know if you can apply for a card without an employer? I'd like to get one in advance so if I need it I don't need to wait on it being processed but looking on the official website it looks like you need to apply for it through an employer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.