Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Tafe or TEFL visa - Which is more likely to be granted PR?

Tafe or TEFL visa - Which is more likely to be granted PR?

Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future
Default Tafe or TEFL visa - Which is more likely to be granted PR?

Hi

Just wondered which would be the better option to gain PR.

I have a PGCE - FE from UK with 3 yrs+ exp in English Lit, Film studies, and Japanese Language
I also have TEFL/TESOL teaching exp x 10 yrs, and will be working 6 mths of a WHV this yrs doing TEFL.

Not bothered what area of australia we live, rural, or city. we want to embrace the culture, lifestyle, people and climate, not just enhance our lives.

All suggestions welcome.

I just scrape through with 110 points on SM visa, but thought the 12 mths WHV would assist in my application, and possible sponsorship.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:43 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tafe or TEFL visa - Which is more likely to be granted PR?

I think the style of your TESOL certificate will have an impact - have you looked on the Gov't website re: what quals are needed to gain more points in terms of teaching ESL? I know you have to have a certain standard of TEFL qual before you can teach in Australia - with a set amount of practice teaching hours etc. ELICOS and NEAS are two achronyms that should give you more info on what the standards are.

You could combine the two and try to get sponsored by TAFE for teaching ESL (many Tafe institutes run English language classes) You may even have enough experience/training to 'teach the teachers'?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future

thank you so much for your reply.
About to start EFL teaching in QLD for 3-6mths at an international school, will then look at other TAFE or Universities to do the same!

Then I will apply for perm visa (fingers crossed!)
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:59 am
Wanderer

saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Good luck - hope it goes well. TESOL seems to be growing really rapidly - there are always job adverts, so much so that I am hoping to add the qual to my high school English teaching quals - often schools need someone with an ESL background to work with students (you might be able to find work this way as well?) and I wouldn't mind working outside the normal school setting - the last school I was at, the most productive, well behaved and friendly kids were the kids from ESL backgrounds!

The jobs seem to be concentrated on the Gold Coast and in parts of Brisbane but I think there will soon (if not already!) be a market for homestay EFL programs in regional areas...if I don't make it to Scotland soon I think I might start my own farm, teaching ppl English and feeding chickens!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

wow my hearts thumping! The thing is this, I was told a while back, that trying to get out to oz on my tefl experience and quals was a dead loss. Therefore I am due to start a PGCE in th UK to try and get out to oz in a couple of years. BUT whats this about jobs in brisbane etc? Please please tell me more about visas and stuff as i would LOVE to just skip the pgce if i could. I also must add that i have a hubby and 2 kids in tow, and i am going on 33. please please if anyone can give me guidance....
ps. i have a CTEFLA and a DIP and over 10 years experience.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:08 pm
Wanderer

I am not in the industry...yet, so I don't know of any other experiences - best I can offer is to google as much as you can on ELT in Australia and find out what the standards are for English teachers. There is also a demand for TESOL trainers. See Teach International's website - currently recruiting for a tesol trainer in Adelaide. These jobs seem to be concentrated around the major capital cities.

There's so much that comes up on google and with your experience you probably have more of an idea of what is relevant and what is not.

The thing I do know is that the minimum standards for being an ESL teacher in Australia include an initial degree, minimum Cert IV/CELTA training. They recently scrapped their requirement for 600 hours of teaching experience, but you might be able to use your experience in leu of degree?

Sorry I don't know more but try contacting places re: jobs to find out what their requirements are? Good luck!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krestsaf
Hi

Just wondered which would be the better option to gain PR.

I have a PGCE - FE from UK with 3 yrs+ exp in English Lit, Film studies, and Japanese Language
I also have TEFL/TESOL teaching exp x 10 yrs, and will be working 6 mths of a WHV this yrs doing TEFL.

Not bothered what area of australia we live, rural, or city. we want to embrace the culture, lifestyle, people and climate, not just enhance our lives.

All suggestions welcome.

I just scrape through with 110 points on SM visa, but thought the 12 mths WHV would assist in my application, and possible sponsorship.

You may want to check with Teaching Australia before you commit to anything. It was my understanding that they don't recognise the PGCE in FE as a teaching qualification for the purposes of skilled migration. If not, then you would fail the requirement for a valid skills assessment.

S