Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

self-centred,apathetic,drug culture. uk v Oz

self-centred,apathetic,drug culture. uk v Oz

Old May 1st 2006, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

lawrenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Question self-centred,apathetic,drug culture. uk v Oz

As an increasingly disenchanted teachers in Uk we are considering the move to Oz. We are fed up with rude, arrogant, self-centred teenagers who think everything is owed them for little effort, who spoil the education of those who are keen, enthusiastic and want to learn. Drugs have got a lot to answer for. And we both teach in a nice area!

It is not the same as the raging hormones- we are used to those!! We seem to be slogging our guts out for increasingly less reward, and are confronted by an increase in aggression. We have masses of preparation to do , new initiatives to deal with etc.This leaves us tired exhausted and very little time to spend together as a family. We know we are not alone!!

Could someone give us a true picture of teaching in Oz?
Drugs
kids attitudes
employment potential for them
paperwork
exam pressure
league table pressure

We do still want to teach!!
Old May 1st 2006, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: self-centred,apathetic,drug culture. uk v Oz

Originally Posted by lawrenson
As an increasingly disenchanted teachers in Uk we are considering the move to Oz. We are fed up with rude, arrogant, self-centred teenagers who think everything is owed them for little effort, who spoil the education of those who are keen, enthusiastic and want to learn. Drugs have got a lot to answer for. And we both teach in a nice area!

It is not the same as the raging hormones- we are used to those!! We seem to be slogging our guts out for increasingly less reward, and are confronted by an increase in aggression. We have masses of preparation to do , new initiatives to deal with etc.This leaves us tired exhausted and very little time to spend together as a family. We know we are not alone!!

Could someone give us a true picture of teaching in Oz?
Drugs
kids attitudes
employment potential for them
paperwork
exam pressure
league table pressure

We do still want to teach!!

Went to Oz last year to try to see what it was like.I've taught for 16 years and my gut impression was that the teenagers we came across,were similar to those around me in the early 80s.Yes there is drugs, saw lots of needle bins in toilets.We sat next to some youths one night,who lit up (not sure what it was).As soon as they saw our 2 little uns ,they apologised and moved away.We were gobsmacked.The kids didn't seem to have attitude.Just my impression.
Nick