Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Pros and cons to 457 to WA

Pros and cons to 457 to WA

Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pros and cons to 457 to WA

Apart from job when you land and house sorted, have to remain with employer for 2 years, what are the finer pros and cons of 457 in WA. I believe as we have 2 kids we wouldn't end up in the back of beyond, but what surprises does this visa throw up?

Any help please as need to gather info asap.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pros and cons to 457 to WA

Your school could be low ability, and some discipline problems. (Hubby school is good with good exam results)

Previous school had 70% aborigine, nice kids just lower ability.

You may be in small town and prefer city life.

The further North you go, you will have hotter weather.

Karatha and further up it can be more expensive and housing not as good due to miners paying big rents(as on high salary).

Smaller towns, may have limited shopping, eg if your in to the latest fashion you may need to go to Perth or your nearest big town.

Limited or No choice on town posted to. You cant pick your town, but can say want it noted what areas you do not want.

You have to stay with DET for 2 years if you want them to sponsor you. They will not budge on this.

2 years can seam a long time if you dont like small towns.

Like the UK, you will not be rich on a teachers salary. But if your a teacher you should already know this.

Pros,
Job on arrival, and as DET secure employer.

Security and less stress if you have a family, as not arriving and trying to find an employer.

Free flights or fuel once per year for you and family to go back to Perth.

Salary packaging, you can get a new car on arrival (model of your choice) without paying any deposits. So you can keep your saving for house deposit.

Salary packaging laptop.

2 years goes pretty quickly and you can get Permanent residency without need for lots of points.

With 2 years Australian experience you will find it easier to apply for other jobs, eg lots of teaching jobs in private sector. Our current town has state, Catholic fee paying, Anglican fee paying, Christian fee paying.

**You can apply for you own permanent visa at any time. You also gain an extra 10 points for 12months experience if your short.

Weather can be great all year around if your North of Perth, and kids can be on the beach most weekend. Also you may be in place with tourist areas nearby.
Eg we can visit Kalbarri, Monkey Mia, Dongara,Jurien Bay on weekend.
Previous town we visited Ningaloo, Coral Bay is beautiful.

Can be better life for kids, I have kids aged 16 to 3 and not worried about them getting into bother. Also more job prospects and opportunity for them long term.

Teacher shortage likely to be long term and you have a foot in the door. So your long term employment prospects are good.

The Primary sponsorship starts again next year.

*This is based on what I know and your could be different. We are also Primary not High school teachers.
I do have a couple of UK High School teachers in my town and they are here to stay.

Last edited by Gems; Aug 6th 2008 at 1:30 am.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Few things finance.
Your can not claim Australian family allowance if you have kids on a 457.
You will have to wait until you are Permanent visa. So losing money every week.

Medicare if you are not from UK/Ireland or other country that has an agreement you will need private healthcare. Temporary residence private health care is more expensive.
If you are from UK you can manage with just dental and ambulance. Ive used the medicare agreement lots and not paid a thing.

On a PR visa everyone gets medicare.

You will not be eligable for most credit cards, and loans on a 457. But can salary package.

Any car loan, salary package will be on the terms of visa length, eg if visa for 3 years your car will be on 3 years.

Some restrictions on buying a house on a 457. But it can be done.
Eg cant claim the $7000 first time buyers grant until PR.

Gems
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Gems for all the help. Much appreciated

Anyone else willing to add their opinion?????
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:47 am
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point

gems is the mecca of info regarding 457 visa and all things teaching rural aus, my next comments will no way be as helpful as hers, i bow down to her Phrophetesque wisdom!!

to be honest we could get the PR visa if we wanted, i think we have 5 points over. we, (me my wife and two very young kids) are going for the 457 visa simply because you have a job waiting for you, with a house and many other bits and pieces to help you out as a new teacher.
if we went the PR route, sure we could go where ever we want but who's to say we would get a job in the place we wanted? we dont want to live in a city so we would probably end up in the countryside anyway, but without the finacial and other help 457 visa holders get from the DET.
things are going to be hard enough as it is , foriegn coiuntry, climate, culture etc etc, any help we can get we will grab, so the thought of not having to trawl the country looking for a job, house and getting rent subsidy is to good to resist.
i know the countryside of aus quite well, i grew up there, it can get mad mad hot, it is remote and you will have to do without some things that are comon in the UK, shopping is much more challenging but the quality and freshness of good can end uo being far superior, especially if you like seafood.

some of the places gems has talked about are simply lovely, i am going to beg them to send me to Geraldton, its a lovely town and some of the places you can get to are Gods own country, you have not lived until you have swam with the whale sharks!!

djg
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Another question I need to know. Anyone have any idea how much experience for the 457. I think I recall Gems saying someone had just qualified and got their visa? But is it 12 months longer or less?