Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Primary Teachers from the UK already in Australia...

Primary Teachers from the UK already in Australia...

Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:04 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Primary Teachers from the UK already in Australia...

...just curious as to what differences you've noticed between your old classroom/teaching experiences in the United Kingdom and those in Australia? One thing I have heard is that things are a little more laid back over there, which is reassuring as I feel in the UK, and Northern Ireland in particular, that it's just all work work work, and far too much paperwork, taking us away from the job in hand, TEACHING THE CHILDREN!!!!

Be honest....
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:12 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary Teachers from the UK already in Australia...

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
...just curious as to what differences you've noticed between your old classroom/teaching experiences in the United Kingdom and those in Australia? One thing I have heard is that things are a little more laid back over there, which is reassuring as I feel in the UK, and Northern Ireland in particular, that it's just all work work work, and far too much paperwork, taking us away from the job in hand, TEACHING THE CHILDREN!!!!

Be honest....
DOH! You're all in bed, or at least you should be, because it's A SCHOOL NIGHT! LOL

Right, I'll stop trying to find distractions and get on with report number 14 of 17, nearly there, PHEW! lol
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Jen - you might get a better response if you post in the "teaching" forum too (tomorrow)
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:51 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by cookiestar
Jen - you might get a better response if you post in the "teaching" forum too (tomorrow)
Yeah I know the teaching section is there, but thought I'd post it in the General Australia bit to see what sort of responses I get.... 2 REPORTS LEFT TO GO! WOO HOO
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:39 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Yeah I know the teaching section is there, but thought I'd post it in the General Australia bit to see what sort of responses I get.... 2 REPORTS LEFT TO GO! WOO HOO
Have asked to have my thread moved, good thinking Cookie...my shower has made me see more clearly! lol
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

jo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the rough

Any news Jen?
Jo x
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Be honest....
Ok, honestly I've found it to be pretty similar in terms of paperwork, sorry I suppose it does feel a little more laid back but I think that may just be Aussies rather than the actual job. I had pretty much the same amount of paperwork and there are always the additional lunch covers, after / before school activities that you're asked to do too.

There is also a lot of paperwork to get your registration sorted in the first place.

For me this was where the term 'same sh!t different bucket' sprang to mind. But others may have found different.

Good luck!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby has found less paperwork, less planning etc. Eg no worrying about Ofsted etc.

Also has noticed that they do not follow a strict Curriculum like back in the UK. So you can find half the class has done the project the year before and gets annoying with resources. As half the class will chirp up 'we did that in Year 3 and Year 5.' The other half will have not done it.
You can have two year 3 class and both teachers doing completely different topics and work. This sounds fine, but gets a pain once the kids get to Year 5 and upwards and you realise they have all covered different stuff and big gaps.

Also has noticed and we have with our own kids. They dont tend to teach to ability more whole class does the same thing. Hubby does not do that, as he thinks kids should be taught to ability. We have seen this in private and state sector.

One thing that bugs me, but would be great for teachers who want an easy life. Is they love these English and Maths books that you just fill in the blanks.
I hate them as feel the kids do not learn enough in them.
Hubby feelings on this type of book is that they only cater for average ability, they are too easy for the higher attainers and to hard for the low ability. Also that he has found some kids do not know the basics on how to fully set out maths problems on paper. Or very slow on writing stories etc as they are so used to giving one word answers in the books.

Basically in the right school, you could get away with no planning, no marking, and handing out fill in the blank books.
Believe me when I say some teachers will take full advantage of this.

Gems
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a teacher but I have two at primary.School is definitely more laid back.After being here for nearly three years I still struggle to call teachers and head teacher by first name.Teachers here seem to socialize with parents .In fact my daughters maths teacher has invited my husband to watch some game in the pub.My children much prefer the teachers here and seem to have a better repoire with them.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:51 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Interesting...and somewhat disturbing Gems, y no set curriculum?! Hmmm
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't yet got a job, just filling out the reams of paperwork for Vic Ed to get registered - do it before you get here!!

We have looked round a school for our daughter and while it may go on in some schools, I quizzed the Principal on their programmes and they definitely teach to ability. I saw the evidence too, especially as the teacher was carrying out a miscue reading analysis that I've used in order to place children appropriately. Also in this school, the whole year group were doing the same topic (in fact Year 2 had concertina doors which they open up in order to do big topic projects together).

Have a look around a few schools to get a feel, like you would at home. I know that I am happy for my daughter to go to the school we looked at but I wouldn't want to work there as the Principal is very efficient and scared me!! Having said that, she can't be too bad as the current staff have been there for a while.......

The principal did say that in our area, local government are not exactly inspecting but are coming in more to "work alongside" principals and help move schools forward (like our LA officers).....
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

All states will be different.

WA have introduced a very basic syllabus 2 years ago. So hubby follows this, but its certainly nothing like the UK National Curriculum, very vague.

However Australia recently have had discussions regarding a National Curriculum similar to the UK. This is in the planning stages and could be brought in for the whole of the country in about 2 years (cant remember exact time frame).
But all states would follow it. Hubby thinks they need it.

He likes teaching here, but if you have been teaching UK National curriculum a number of years it can be frustrating at times.
But he is glad it doesnt have all the paperwork the UK has.

Gems
PS, Im not saying all schools and teachers are like this. However its very varied in WA and you should be prepared for all possibilities. You could in theory be given a class and told to do what you like!

Last edited by Gems; Jun 16th 2009 at 5:47 am.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

New National Curriculum for every state comes in 2011.

See info here:

http://www.acara.edu.au/curriculum.html
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Hi,

I teach in WA and I find there is much less teacher accountability here - so I agree with Gems that teachers can get away with being very poor. No one has ever asked to see evidence of differentiation, planning documentation, assessment strategies etc etc.

So things very much depend on how conscientious the teacher is, I believe.

National Curriculum is due to start in 2011, currently only for Literacy, Numeracy, Science, and History (!?) but time will tell.

There are big recruitment issues in many states of Australia, given its size and desirable lifestyles being so dependent on where you're located.

In terms of teaching I prefer it here because I can be flexible, have more autonomy, and I am not pressured to teach to tests etc. The space makes a big difference and I find behaviour management issues less stressful here.

HTH,

Gemma
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi,

I teach in WA and I find there is much less teacher accountability here - so I agree with Gems that teachers can get away with being very poor. No one has ever asked to see evidence of differentiation, planning documentation, assessment strategies etc etc.

So things very much depend on how conscientious the teacher is, I believe.

National Curriculum is due to start in 2011, currently only for Literacy, Numeracy, Science, and History (!?) but time will tell.

There are big recruitment issues in many states of Australia, given its size and desirable lifestyles being so dependent on where you're located.

In terms of teaching I prefer it here because I can be flexible, have more autonomy, and I am not pressured to teach to tests etc. The space makes a big difference and I find behaviour management issues less stressful here.

HTH,

Gemma
Am Hi -jacking as Secondary Teacher but I soooooooo miss the UK National Curriculum !!!

Nxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.