Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

'Pre-employment program' for overseas teachers on 457 visa?

'Pre-employment program' for overseas teachers on 457 visa?

Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

bigdave764 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Pre-employment program' for overseas teachers on 457 visa?

My wife & I are in Sydney on a 457 visa, which is sponsored through my employer.

I have read the section on the teach.NSW website, which gives details of the pre-employment orientation program for overseas teachers. We are about to apply for my wife to participate in this program - but the wording is not 100% clear when it comes to 457 visa holders:

"If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia you can be considered for permanent, temporary and casual teaching opportunities in NSW public schools. If you are visiting Australia on an appropriate visa you may be able to undertake casual or temporary teaching in our schools."

However, it laters says that to be eligible for the pre-employment program:

"evidence of Australian citizenship or permanent residence or visa permitting employment"

The 457 is a temporary visa. Has anyone here on a spouse's 457 successfully registered for employment in a permanent teaching job and also been through the NSW pre-employment orientation program?

Cheers,

Dave
Old May 1st 2008, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 'Pre-employment program' for overseas teachers on 457 visa?

Originally Posted by bigdave764
My wife & I are in Sydney on a 457 visa, which is sponsored through my employer.

I have read the section on the teach.NSW website, which gives details of the pre-employment orientation program for overseas teachers. We are about to apply for my wife to participate in this program - but the wording is not 100% clear when it comes to 457 visa holders:

"If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia you can be considered for permanent, temporary and casual teaching opportunities in NSW public schools. If you are visiting Australia on an appropriate visa you may be able to undertake casual or temporary teaching in our schools."

However, it laters says that to be eligible for the pre-employment program:

"evidence of Australian citizenship or permanent residence or visa permitting employment"

The 457 is a temporary visa. Has anyone here on a spouse's 457 successfully registered for employment in a permanent teaching job and also been through the NSW pre-employment orientation program?

Cheers,

Dave
surely a 457 is a 'visa permitting employment' so she'll be fine (assuming she meets all the other criteria for teaching in Oz)