Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Please can anyone advice me?

Please can anyone advice me?

Old Jul 28th 2009, 9:35 am
Just Joined

mrsminkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please can anyone advice me?

Oh dear! Either way, it doesn't sound like the sure bet that I thought it was....guess it's better to know now before I committed myself to years of training! However, it's still an option......

I think my husband is going to try and get his experience in IT bumped up and get some qualifications under his belt. I know you need 8 years experience to get a skilled migrant visa, but we couldn't emigrate without a job offer for at least one of us anyway - from a security point of view, and he's spoken to some recruitment agencies in the UK that place people in Australia who've said that he should be able to get a position with less than 8 years experience......fingers crossed and all that!

Thank you to EVERYONE who has taken the time to post to my query. It has been extremely helpful and me and my husband appreciate it
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Briar
This may be true in Victoria, but not in WA. WA have a half cohort moving from primary to secondary in 2010 and will have a surplus of secondary teachers. They will however need more primary teachers, especially if the global stuff improves and all the anticipated retirements happen.

untrue completly, we are out here now. every school i have come across is in need of science and maths teachers, the more rural ones are desperate for them, in WA , all over WA
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hereshoping
This is not necessarily true, there IS a shortage of teachers of some subjects in some areas.

Science/ Maths types are needed almost everywhere

Primary teachers are needed practically nowhere

everything else depends on the area.
And in NSW I was told last by the DET they are despo for English teachers and teacher librarians....can't choose where tho...
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppyandpeanut
untrue completly, we are out here now. every school i have come across is in need of science and maths teachers, the more rural ones are desperate for them, in WA , all over WA
Hi poppyandpeanut - your comments conflict with those of friends and colleauges who work in WA Education Dept, but I was only passing on their comments. I work in the private education sector where things seem to be a bit different. So whereabouts in WA are you? Obviously rural - it is a big state so hope you are somewhere decent!
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

leeh36 is an unknown quantity at this point

DET WA are telling me that they have zero secondary maths jobs in rural locations and I have asked the question lots of times over the past three weeks.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:44 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeh36
DET WA are telling me that they have zero secondary maths jobs in rural locations and I have asked the question lots of times over the past three weeks.
Although not relevant to me, just wondered if there is a higher ratio of state schools in the rural areas. I do know a UK PE teacher who was struggling to get a job in Perth but had no problem in the private sector

Cooler
Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Briar
Hi poppyandpeanut - your comments conflict with those of friends and colleauges who work in WA Education Dept, but I was only passing on their comments. I work in the private education sector where things seem to be a bit different. So whereabouts in WA are you? Obviously rural - it is a big state so hope you are somewhere decent!
every private school in my town, (there are 5) will have secondary vacancies in January, most private primary schools also have vacanxies at the moment
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Poppyandpeanut - Are you in the state or private sector????
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

i am in the state system and have contacts/ friends in the private sector, why?
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Just wondered as you say you are in WA and why your comments were different to how I am finding it in the private sector that is all. Are you here in the government or private sector????
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Didnt read your post properly - sorry - long day at the office!!!!!... so are you in the Perth Metro area or "rural" as the Dept of Education like to call it????
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

rural, know a few teachers in the metro area too, jobs everywhere for the taking.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Gosh P&P wish I was as optimistic as you about secondary teaching jobs in metro and country WA. Don't you know about the half cohort entering secondary next year? So many secondary teachers in the government sector must be panicking, retiring or applying for all the jobs that are in the private sector and advertised in the Saturday West Australian! Hope all is going well for you in rural WA. It's a great place to be and I hope you are enjoying yourself, wherever you are.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

optimism has nothing really to do with it. simply reporting what i have heard and experienced so far, plenty of maths and science jobs going both in the private and government sector, our school and others in the area are ALL in need of teachers for January, that will only increase as the term goes on. yes we know all about the half cohort coming through, but schools still need teachers.

Briar, are you teaching in WA, you seem to be quite opinionated on the matter
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Anyone any ideas how the jobs are looking for secondary ICT and Business? Just got our visa through and looking at Gold Coast QLD. The big question is do we wait until things settle down recession wise or just jump????OH is a joiner and I know the trades are very slow so who knows! Ive applied for a job in a private school, not sure if they tend to interview o/seas candidates or just stick to those in Oz closing date Friday so fingers crossed. Any thoughts? Thanks Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.