PGCE & Teaching in Canada

Old Oct 14th 2021, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Lettice95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation PGCE & Teaching in Canada

Hello,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me as I'm at a bit of a loose end. I'm hoping to move to Alberta next August to teach and I'm not sure if my English teaching qualifications will be sufficient enough to gain teacher certification in Alberta. I have a BA(hons) in History and completed a PGCE in Secondary History this year. I was told by someone in the Alberta Teaching Certification department that English teachers need to meet the same criteria as teachers who trained in Alberta which is 48 semester hour credits of pedagogical study. My PGCE apparently counts for 30 of these hours, leaving me with 18 remaining. I am currently completing my ECT (early carers teacher) induction course which would provide me with another year.

My question is does anyone know or have experience as to whether Alberta count the ECT year (previously known as NQT year) towards those required hours?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Old Oct 14th 2021, 6:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PGCE & Teaching in Canada

Hi, welcome to BE.

Do you already have a route to a visa - married to a Canadian etc? And do you have somebody else moving with you or a large chunk of savings behind you? Teaching is a blooming tricky business in Canada, this Wiki article is useful reading if you've not already found it. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

Also worth searching the Canada forums, lots of threads there with useful info in.

HTH get you started at least, hopefully somebody will be along to help with your question shortly.

Good luck.