PE teacher working in OZ

Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:46 am
Just Joined

bodie1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PE teacher working in OZ

Hi all,
I’m looking for some sound advice on my prospects of being able to find work down under. My partner is Australian, she has dual nationality and she has been living in Blighty for the last 4years and is determined to go home, (she wants to start uni back in OZ in Feb). I have just finished my PGCE in secondary PE and have previous teaching experience as an unqualified PE teacher beforehand (3yrs or so).

Now I think I can go to OZ on a defacto visa, but how easy will it be to find a teaching position? What are the PE provisions for primary schools and is this a possible route? I haven’t done my NQT year and I’m worried if I up sticks and move to Aus I won’t be able to find work ?

All advice is greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Bodie1992
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PE teacher working in OZ

I guess it depends which state you are moving to. In WA there seem to be plenty of Phys Ed teachers and few positions advertised. Not sure what the supply/relief situation is though.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodie1992
Hi all,
I’m looking for some sound advice on my prospects of being able to find work down under. My partner is Australian, she has dual nationality and she has been living in Blighty for the last 4years and is determined to go home, (she wants to start uni back in OZ in Feb). I have just finished my PGCE in secondary PE and have previous teaching experience as an unqualified PE teacher beforehand (3yrs or so).

Now I think I can go to OZ on a defacto visa, but how easy will it be to find a teaching position? What are the PE provisions for primary schools and is this a possible route? I haven’t done my NQT year and I’m worried if I up sticks and move to Aus I won’t be able to find work ?

All advice is greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Bodie1992
Where in Aus are you moving to?
If I were you I'd be looking at getting your NQT year out of the way prior to moving out so you can pick up some relief work, can be very hard to secure work in sought after areas.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:54 am
Just Joined

allan123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Briar
I guess it depends which state you are moving to. In WA there seem to be plenty of Phys Ed teachers and few positions advertised. Not sure what the supply/relief situation is though.
hello,yes you are right.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Do a search on here - I'm sure I've read threads that have said NQT counts for nothing in Oz - but PGCE is what counts. I suspect it's a role that's hard to get into - as it is in the UK. I know a PE teacher who returned to the UK from Oz and took a job as a special needs maths teacher as he couldn't get a PE role!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:58 am
Just Joined

nomib is an unknown quantity at this point

Help for Teacher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All,

I have a working visa for Aus and am arriving in Perth on the 1st April. i was hoping to teach ( iahve taught history for 6 years in the UK) and will be spending some time in Melbourne and Sydneya s well whilst i decide where to settle. What do i need to do in order to be able to teahc in Aus and can you recommend any supplya gencies for me to contact?

Thanks

N