Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA as a math/physics teacher

Moving to USA as a math/physics teacher

Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:20 am
Just Joined

rb260 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to USA as a math/physics teacher

I have just completed a PGCE in teaching secondary level maths and my partner has just completed a PGCE in teaching secondary level physics with maths as a second subject.

We would like to move to California permanently after we get married next year, and would both like to teach there. We have travelled around California three times together now and both absolutely loved everything about it.

I have a bachelors degree in maths and my partner has a degree in engineering, both of which are from a Russell group university. We have both worked in innercity schools in the UK and have enjoyed it just as much as working in any other school, so we are prepared to work in innercity schools in California.

We would appreciate any supportive information really. Are our qualifications ok? How long would we have to teach here for before being able to teach in the US? How likely are we to get visas?

Thankyou for any help.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA as a math/physics teacher

Hello, you may want to search the subforum that you posted in for a thread started May 29, 2011 entitled "can you teach primary/elementry [sic] in both the UK and the USA with the same degree?". There are some informative answers on that thread. Best of luck to you. You may also want to re-post your question in the USA immigration forum to get more responses.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to USA as a math/physics teacher

Originally Posted by rb260
How likely are we to get visas?

From my research on this, slim to no chance.

Your best bet is to go via a company such as VIF, although I understand they have not placed, or only placed in very very small numbers for the past two or so years due to the massive economic problems in the US and this carrying over into schools and education budgets. Other than that, there are the British Schools of America, who have vacancies from time to time and are known to employ British teachers who do not have visas. I don't know what their current status is as tbh I sort of gave up on the US as it was a non-runner. They advertise in the TES, I believe they require you to have at least 2 years post PGCE experience, however I may be wrong there. If you google BSA, you should be able to find their websites and see if there are any current vacancies. Your best bet might be to approach BSA and other private schools in the state to see if there are opportunities there - with your subject you probably have the best chance you could. If there are any opportunities you may find they are willing to sponsor you for a visa (which you will need to get a visa). You will need to get your degrees and PGCE assessed and equivilant-ed (no not a real word I admit lol), sorry I can't remember who/how - this thread has lots of info in it about various things teaching america, it is a little out of date in places, but should at least point you in the right direction: http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/...px?PageIndex=1

You will need to both speak Spanish to work in schools in California apparently as there are so many Spanish, but not English, speaking students. This is what I have been told by people (Americans/married to Americans) who work there - if it is not the case I apologise, but is what I have been lead to believe.

Good luck, possibly one of the hardest places to get into teaching imho!