Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

looking for some information

looking for some information

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

suart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to all
Default looking for some information

Hi guy's

Just wondering if anyone can give me some information on becoming a teaching assistant in OZ, eg, what qualifications you need, can you work and study at the same time etc
Any info will be greatly appreciated

thanks emma
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for some information

I assume you mean a teacher's assistant? Around here as long as you are of good character and have a clean police record you can register - there are a few training courses out there for STA (Special Teacher's Assistant) in TAFEs usually but AFAIK not a requirement by any means. STAs get the dogs end of jobs - wiping snotty noses, changing nappies, pushing wheelchairs, reading with teenagers who are likely to throw a tantrum etc and are often, but not always, associated with students who have a disability of some kind. Our STAs are not teachers per se and they do not have duty of care like they may do in UK I believe.

They may be part time or full time all depending on what the needs of the school are but usually they are not permanent positions any more - contracts are the name of the game. I have known STAs who have been at uni while working but there was a careful juggling of their timetables with the needs of the student which would be paramount. If you were training to be something that would be an advantage to the child - like you were going to be a physio or psychologist or something then that would be an advantage to you in gaining employment.