Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Jobhunting does and don'ts!?

Jobhunting does and don'ts!?

Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:48 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Question Jobhunting does and don'ts!?

Ok, as some of you will know, I'm a Primary School Teacher with 10 years experience. We're due to arrive in Australia on the 6th February, so I'm hopefully going to be starting my 'jobhunt' on the 15th February, or maybe sooner than that. I intend to go around all of the schools within a 25 mile radius of where we'll be living (Toowoomba, QLD) with my cv, smiling lots, and talking S-L-O-W-L-Y (Northern Irish accent is QUIIIIIIIIIICK!) and hoping something comes of this. To be honest I'm not overly hopeful but I WILL NOT give up and something should crop up eventually.

Meanwhile, should I be seeking other work? My OH has a job to go to, and a well paid one at that, but I don't want to be doing nothing and bringing in ZILCH money as it's just not who I am. (I worked two jobs in Northern Ireland, full-time teacher and part-time police officer so...it's going to be a bit mad being 'unemployed' for the first time in a very long time!!! ) If people in the same situation as me have sought other work, until they've secured teaching work, what sort of work have they looked for and how have their 'casual' employers felt about them maybe getting a days teaching here or there while working for them? That's what concerns me, that any job I do take on will get in the way of my trying to establish myself in Primary Teaching in the area...hmmmmm

Please advise...
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:48 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobhunting does and don'ts!?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ok, as some of you will know, I'm a Primary School Teacher with 10 years experience. We're due to arrive in Australia on the 6th February, so I'm hopefully going to be starting my 'jobhunt' on the 15th February, or maybe sooner than that. I intend to go around all of the schools within a 25 mile radius of where we'll be living (Toowoomba, QLD) with my cv, smiling lots, and talking S-L-O-W-L-Y (Northern Irish accent is QUIIIIIIIIIICK!) and hoping something comes of this. To be honest I'm not overly hopeful but I WILL NOT give up and something should crop up eventually.

Meanwhile, should I be seeking other work? My OH has a job to go to, and a well paid one at that, but I don't want to be doing nothing and bringing in ZILCH money as it's just not who I am. (I worked two jobs in Northern Ireland, full-time teacher and part-time police officer so...it's going to be a bit mad being 'unemployed' for the first time in a very long time!!! ) If people in the same situation as me have sought other work, until they've secured teaching work, what sort of work have they looked for and how have their 'casual' employers felt about them maybe getting a days teaching here or there while working for them? That's what concerns me, that any job I do take on will get in the way of my trying to establish myself in Primary Teaching in the area...hmmmmm

Please advise...
Hi Jen, I reckon only someone in the vicinity of Toowoomba can really help. From what I've seen here in SA if there are any similarities, then you should take work when ever you can get it.

Also, any job you do should help you make contacts - you're not a shrinking violet. Speak to anyone and everyone and keep plugging that you're a fully trained Police officer. Push hard and doors can open.

All the best,
Cooler
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:09 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Hi Jen, I reckon only someone in the vicinity of Toowoomba can really help. From what I've seen here in SA if there are any similarities, then you should take work when ever you can get it.

Also, any job you do should help you make contacts - you're not a shrinking violet. Speak to anyone and everyone and keep plugging that you're a fully trained Police officer. Push hard and doors can open.

All the best,
Cooler
Thanks Mr...I'll be getting stuck in upon arrival, there'll be no doubting that!!!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:22 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Haha I've just realised I wrote DOES and don'ts lol DOH!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:04 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Haha I've just realised I wrote DOES and don'ts lol DOH!!!!
They'll not notice here

Cooler
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:47 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

They'll not notice here

Cooler
U saying the Aussies are thick!?!?!? You're bad lol
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:23 pm
Capt Hilts

U saying the Aussies are thick!?!?!? You're bad lol
No, they just need you to educate them!

Spent the evening at the beach and dolphins were about 100m out hunting fish

Cooler
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:31 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

No, they just need you to educate them!

Spent the evening at the beach and dolphins were about 100m out hunting fish

Cooler
Wow, sounds lovely jovely...we're dogsitting this weekend, see my FB for the culprit; a boxer called Baxter lol
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:32 am
Capt Hilts

Wow, sounds lovely jovely...we're dogsitting this weekend, see my FB for the culprit; a boxer called Baxter lol
Ah, that's nice, blinking potty boxer dos thought!

Cooler
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:35 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Do - Imagine your interviewer(s) naked
Don't - Turn up naked (*)

(*) Exceptions Exist
Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:12 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Toowoomba (and nearby Warwick) have a fair amount of private/independent schools - and a lot of them boarding schools for kids from "out west". You could get work in tutoring or house parent/coach? Something 'outside' school hours so you can still do supply & contracts? After school hours care/kids club type work could also fit with this...

Not sure if TRACER operate out that far but they are the state school supply coordinators for SE Qld.

Cobb & Co Museum - a branch of Qld Museum - are out that way. Maybe they need an Education Officer?

USQ - University of Southern Queensland - has a campus in Toowoomba. Could be jobs there?

A lot of refugee/migrant families live in Toowoomba. There might be ESL or tutoring work - not sure who would do this but you could try St Vincent de Paul (Catholic charity organisation).

Toowoomba is a rural community - so a 'big small town' where everyone seems to know everybody. I reckon if you can get your foot in the door volunteering (and with your policing background this should be a sure thing - keep an ear out for 'blue light Disco') you will meet someone who knows someone...

Toowoomba is also known as the Bible Belt of Queensland - lots of churches and lots of church schools (Toowoomba COC college, TCC: T'ba Christian College). Not sure where you stand on that but if you have a reference from a member of the clergy it could help you to get jobs there.

You're probably already aware of http://www.teachers.on.net/ - I got a job offer from a Catholic school in Toowoomba as a result of uploading my teaching profile to this site. Independent school jobs.

Good luck with Toowoomba. It's a very pretty place - lots of tree-lined streets - a stroke of genius by some civil servant back in the day. I did one of my final teaching pracs in Toowoomba. They have great gardens in the centre of town and an annual garden festival. It feels a bit isolated at first, but one of my mates comes from there and reckons she has 3 degrees of separation now as everyone knows someone in Toowoomba.

I noticed the DOES btw & I'm an Aussie...
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:04 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
Toowoomba (and nearby Warwick) have a fair amount of private/independent schools - and a lot of them boarding schools for kids from "out west". You could get work in tutoring or house parent/coach? Something 'outside' school hours so you can still do supply & contracts? After school hours care/kids club type work could also fit with this...

Not sure if TRACER operate out that far but they are the state school supply coordinators for SE Qld.

Cobb & Co Museum - a branch of Qld Museum - are out that way. Maybe they need an Education Officer?

USQ - University of Southern Queensland - has a campus in Toowoomba. Could be jobs there?

A lot of refugee/migrant families live in Toowoomba. There might be ESL or tutoring work - not sure who would do this but you could try St Vincent de Paul (Catholic charity organisation).

Toowoomba is a rural community - so a 'big small town' where everyone seems to know everybody. I reckon if you can get your foot in the door volunteering (and with your policing background this should be a sure thing - keep an ear out for 'blue light Disco') you will meet someone who knows someone...

Toowoomba is also known as the Bible Belt of Queensland - lots of churches and lots of church schools (Toowoomba COC college, TCC: T'ba Christian College). Not sure where you stand on that but if you have a reference from a member of the clergy it could help you to get jobs there.

You're probably already aware of http://www.teachers.on.net/ - I got a job offer from a Catholic school in Toowoomba as a result of uploading my teaching profile to this site. Independent school jobs.

Good luck with Toowoomba. It's a very pretty place - lots of tree-lined streets - a stroke of genius by some civil servant back in the day. I did one of my final teaching pracs in Toowoomba. They have great gardens in the centre of town and an annual garden festival. It feels a bit isolated at first, but one of my mates comes from there and reckons she has 3 degrees of separation now as everyone knows someone in Toowoomba.

I noticed the DOES btw & I'm an Aussie...
WOW what a bounty of info, aren't u a star! Unfortunately our broadband has been switched off so we're relying on my neighbours when she's let's us use it so I'm using my iPhone at present, thus the short reply! I really do appreciate ur posting, might pick your brains in future, if that's ok...
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:27 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

no worries altho the above probably exhausted my knowledge of Toowoomba lol! Can't even recall the name of the shopping mall...or the main street...although it could be Ruthven (the street...I'm sure you'll discover it soon enough!)

http://www.careerone.com.au/

http://www.seek.com.au/

2 other job sites. I think Seek is better (wider selection of jobs) but Career One is the one that you'll find in the back of most Qld papers.

Also noticed jobs in Toowoomba and surrounds on:

http://www.search4jobs.com.au/

http://www.applynow.com.au/

http://mycareer.com.au/