Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Humanities/SOSE/Social Studies

Humanities/SOSE/Social Studies

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 4:01 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Humanities/SOSE/Social Studies

Hi all,

I'm wondering if other secondary teachers would be able to give me the rundown of how these subjects are perceived in their neck of the woods???

I am 'purely' History trained but I know others on my course who have taught in areas of SOSE/Social Studies in Queensland. I am wondering if this happens elsewhere?

Particularly: Victoria, Northern Territory, Western Australia, New Zealand (yes, I am flinging my net wide, but I am trying to get back into teaching after a wee while away to do the mothering thing).

I am also trained in English but much prefer History (or related SOSE subjects) and would prefer to find work in these areas. I notice there are currently quite a few jobs advertised for SOSE and/or Humanities teachers in Victoria and wondered if they would even consider me down there???

Also: Northern Territory and WA? Anybody teaching in either who might be able to give me a heads up on how things work regarding these subjects?

Some people have indicated that it shouldn't be a problem whereas others reckon I would only be able to teach Humanities/SOSE to junior level (ie: year 10 or S1/2)

Also, on the Humanities side of things: the definition of this subject seems to change depending on where I am...is it just me???

Sorry if I sound a wee bit confused/confusing I have found it almost impossible to get work in my local area so we have now decided to spread the net as far as it will go, so I'm trying to get to grips with the systems in a lot of places!! :scared:

To add more excitement to the question: I am planning to go back to Scotland towards the end of 07/start of 08 and am still completing my probationary period for them. Do any Scottish teachers know whether the GTCS would recognise SOSE/etc as counting towards the History period of my probation? Would be a huge pain in the proverbial if they did not.

Thank you!!!