Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Help, teacher wants to emigrate!!!

Help, teacher wants to emigrate!!!

Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

educspendleton is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help, teacher wants to emigrate!!!

Hi can anyone please help. We just dont know wher to start. It all seems very confusing. I've got a BEd Hons (science). I teach in primary and am in management. My hub has an Art degree but is house husband. He looks after our 2 girls(6 and 2). Can I supply teach is Oz? What do I need to do this? What are the chances of being offered a job while in UK? Were going to Expo in Manchester but dont know if any education people will be there. We have a freind who could sponsor us and Simon has had a job offer as a window cleaner! Where should we start. Oh I also earn about 35.000 and have no idea if there is a chance of earning that in oz. Please give any advice you can. Very much appreciated in advance.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:25 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, teacher wants to emigrate!!!

Hi, I've moved this to teaching were you'll get a better response about teaching opportunities and pay.

Firstly, was your BEd a three or four year course?

A good start is having a look here: www.immi.gov.au, and maybe have a chat with a good migration agent to discuss your visa options.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

The WA education department have been doing a stand at the expos in Manchester and London recently. They are doing a sponsorship for teachers its 457 visa temporary, but after 2 years they will do your Permanent visa.
Jobs organised prior to arrival and housing but its in rural areas, but may be ok if your hubby is arty and he could do his art in peace and nice surrounding.
We are on this and in a small coastal town. This visa is temp so they can get you here and working as quick as possible.

Otherwise you can do a Permanent visa yourself and then look for jobs when you arrive. This may be your preferred route if your happy with arriving without a job organised. We could have went this route, but with kids in tow and new to Oz we felt it was easier and less stressful to have a job and housing supplied for arrival. Education will do the Permanent visa in 2 years but we are probably going to do our own soon. We have enough points, and know we like Australia and want to settle.

Although primary is not as shortage as High school. My research indicated Western Australia or Victoria may be best opportunities for primary teachers.

Salary for teachers is less than the UK, but we have found the lifestyle is much better and other things are cheaper so its fine. We have kids and have been ok. If its all about the money you may prefer to stick with the UK.

For us we feel the kids have much better lifestyle and we are out every weekend at the beach or exploring. So everyone is healthier and happier.

In WA they have teacher shortage, and their may be chance for you to move up the career ladder if you want you want principal positions. As think the shortage is also in management.

Victoria has a sponsorship too, temp but you find your job yourself on arrival. After working in Victoria for 2 years you do PR. Have a look on victoria website. They do a Permanent sponsorship but only for high school teachers.

You can not teach unless you have had your teaching skills assessed. This will be your degree and PGCE certificates and transcripts.

Good Luck

GEMS
Old Sep 18th 2007, 6:30 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Gems, they have already said they have a BEd - hopefully its a 4 years course and not 3 year!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

j0364304 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help, i am wanting to move to oz next year to teach. I have completed a three year degree and i am currently studying a SCITT itt course. When applying for the post i was told it held a PGCE although i have recently found many universities now offer PGCE alongside itt course although it is not a postgraduate course it is now a professional certifcate in education and holds less points towards a masters. I have been told i can update this certificate to a postgraduate certifcate later on if i wish. Wold i be able to teach with a three year degree and a year itt training accrediated by a uni????

Lorraine
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:22 pm
WS

Your three year degree is fine, but then you need a PGCE. The SCITT itself isn't recognised in Australia.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello,

The WA education department have been doing a stand at the expos in Manchester and London recently. They are doing a sponsorship for teachers its 457 visa temporary, but after 2 years they will do your Permanent visa.
Jobs organised prior to arrival and housing but its in rural areas, but may be ok if your hubby is arty and he could do his art in peace and nice surrounding.
We are on this and in a small coastal town. This visa is temp so they can get you here and working as quick as possible.

Good Luck

GEMS
Hi Gems

What Teachers are they doing this for? Primary or Secondary? How easy a route is it to go down? And where are the jobs? Have discussed it with other half and could do 2 years in the wilderness to get PR, not looked any further into this but would like further info if possible please.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 8:20 am
Just Joined

j0364304 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your three year degree is fine, but then you need a PGCE. The SCITT itself isn't recognised in Australia

Replying to above post:

My Scitt course has a PGCE with the open university although it is not a postgraduate certificate many universities are now doing Pfrofessional certificate just meaning that a posgrautate PGCE carries 60 units towards a masters whereas a Professional certicte only holds 30 units to a masters. So final qualification will be a pgce just wondering if this new system would affect employment in australia as i have the opportunity to upgrade this professional certificate to a postgraduate and just wondering if this would be worth while????
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

educspendleton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello,

Otherwise you can do a Permanent visa yourself and then look for jobs when you arrive. This may be your preferred route if your happy with arriving without a job organised. We could have went this route, but with kids in tow and new to Oz we felt it was easier and less stressful to have a job and housing supplied for arrival. Education will do the Permanent visa in 2 years but we are probably going to do our own soon. We have enough points, and know we like Australia and want to settle.

Although primary is not as shortage as High school. My research indicated Western Australia or Victoria may be best opportunities for primary teachers.

Salary for teachers is less than the UK, but we have found the lifestyle is much better and other things are cheaper so its fine. We have kids and have been ok. If its all about the money you may prefer to stick with the UK.

For us we feel the kids have much better lifestyle and we are out every weekend at the beach or exploring. So everyone is healthier and happier.

In WA they have teacher shortage, and their may be chance for you to move up the career ladder if you want you want principal positions. As think the shortage is also in management.

Victoria has a sponsorship too, temp but you find your job yourself on arrival. After working in Victoria for 2 years you do PR. Have a look on victoria website. They do a Permanent sponsorship but only for high school teachers.

You can not teach unless you have had your teaching skills assessed. This will be your degree and PGCE certificates and transcripts.

Good Luck

GEMS
Thanks for all that info. Sorry i havent replied before. Had major It probs. I think I now need to get my qualifications assessed. Thanks again, Suzanne
Old Sep 24th 2007, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
WA jobs are for Primary and Secondary teacher and in various subjects.
The teachers have ranged from those from newly qualified to those with lots of experience. But jobs are rural and not in Perth.

Gems