Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Getting a Teaching job before moving over to Australia?

Getting a Teaching job before moving over to Australia?

Old Aug 28th 2010, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

LoreleiLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a Teaching job before moving over to Australia?

Hello everyone!

I am a English Secondary School teacher and I have been qualified for 4 years now. I spent 12 months travelling Asia, Australia and USA. I have decided after being back in the UK that I desperately want to go back and live in Australia.
while I was travelling I used my WHV but didnt work long enough to be able to apply for a second one. So looks like I will be applying for a Skilled VISA.
I'm currently saving up for the move but I have no assests such as property because I rent at the moment. I was going to buy a propertly here but thought it might be more trouble than it's worth, with the market how it is now!
So all I will have if I move over is my savings! My partner will also be coming with me who has a degree in Business Marketing, but he will have to come on my VISA due to it being on the skills list.
Is there anyway I could apply for teaching jobs before actually going over, or do you have to be resident in the country to teach? Can anyone recommend any good job hunting websites? I'm looking at moving to the Perth or Cairns area.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:04 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Getting a Teaching job before moving over to Australia?

You'll need to go through the registration process in whichever state you plan to go to & that could require you to get your qualifications recognised...best to get onto that asap as it can take a while (currently waiting for this in NZ... Once you have this you can apply for jobs as you like but may find it difficult to get an interview when you are still overseas.

You could try teacher recruiters such as Select/TeachAnywhere/Randstad (they are the same thing just keep changing their name...) or Smart Teachers (altho wouldn't recommend them they can be time wasters). Google a few agencies and then send your CV off to see what they recommend - there seem to be a lot who recruit in the UK for Oz/NZ teaching roles (ie: for Aussies/Kiwis heading home but also for UK teachers).

Other tips: search this forum for similar threads. Have a look on the TES Forums in the Teaching Overseas Sub-forum. Career One, Seek.com and Teachers.on.net may give you an indication of jobs in private/independent schools and various government education departments also advertise urgent vacancies.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

LoreleiLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help. I was thinking of applying for VISA and then just going over to job hunt. But when I was travelling I did join a number of supply teaching agencies and I didn't get a days work in the 4 months I was with them!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Jenaan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, did you have any luck? We are thinking of moving out to Oz this year. My husband is a teacher & I am in banking so I would be travelling on the back of his visa. I am told there is a lot of red tape to go through before getting a job in Oz. We are hoping he will be able to get a job before we go out there. We are looking at Sydney or Melbourne so think we may struggle. Do you have any advice for us?? Any help would be very gratefully received.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:33 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenaan
Hi, did you have any luck? We are thinking of moving out to Oz this year. My husband is a teacher & I am in banking so I would be travelling on the back of his visa. I am told there is a lot of red tape to go through before getting a job in Oz. We are hoping he will be able to get a job before we go out there. We are looking at Sydney or Melbourne so think we may struggle. Do you have any advice for us?? Any help would be very gratefully received.
There are a few threads that have been on over the last year - have a look. What does your husband teach?

Cooler
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Jenaan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
There are a few threads that have been on over the last year - have a look. What does your husband teach?

Cooler
Will do, thanks. He teaches PE.