Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Does the UK PGCE transfer to the US?

Does the UK PGCE transfer to the US?

Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

AimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura about
Default Does the UK PGCE transfer to the US?

Hi all,

I have a degree in Psychology (BA) from America. Once I moved to the UK 10 years ago, I decided I wanted to teach. So, I did my Post Graduate Cert in Education (PGCE) to teach Further Education (college. not university) here in the UK.

My question is. Does anyone know if my PGCE will transfer to the US? I would like to teach in the states but unsure I will be qualified. How can I find out?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Dan_hals is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does the UK PGCE transfer to the US?

it does, just need to get the docs attested by the state/area you are gonna teach.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think these things vary by State. Do ALL states accept a British PGCE ?
Old Oct 11th 2014, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

zebapt is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here, how do I contact a state? What organisation? Any clue for Austin, Texas? Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

You have to do the 'hard miles' and speak to people directly.

I don't think anyone would give you a definitive 'silver bullet' so to speak. It is possible to do but you need to do a lot of work and send a lot of emails and get some luck along the way.

A PGCE is much more rigorous that the US equivalent (from what I have seen, and only my opinion) so I think you would be accepted and appointed on merit if you are a good teacher. However it is not as simple as getting a job at a state school. Getting here and getting a work visa is another area where you need to do the hard graft.

The only advice to anyone looking to do this is: It is possible but no one is going to give you it on a silver platter. Go and MAKE it happen by research and communication
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

zebapt is an unknown quantity at this point

Very useful piece of advice, many thanks for your time!
Old May 27th 2015, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Scooter McGee is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this same question at the moment. I guess I'll go and contact the Washington state board of education myself to find out.
Old May 27th 2015, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Trying to get in at an international school will be your easiest option unless you are already here and or married to a yank.

That is a good way in as you will have time to understand he state system which is very different to the UK system. Private schools are much more prevalent and state school is very hit and miss depending on where you go.

The subject you teach is also going to be a factor, if it is an area that they have a lot of teachers for then why would they bother to help you to get here and teach it if they have quality candidates queuing up out the door. They might hire you if you apply but they probably wont help you to travel and get a visa etc.

In the state system you aren't hired by a school either, you are hired by the equivalent of an LEA and then placed in a school, so there would be uncertainty on the quality of your school, the location, etc etc. Very different from ole blighty.

International section on TES. International Baccalauréat website. Search associates/international school services. Would be some good leads to chase up if you are looking into it.

Here to help if you need anything.

What goes around comes around.

Dan
Old May 27th 2015, 1:54 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan_hals
Trying to get in at an international school will be your easiest option unless you are already here and or married to a yank.

That is a good way in as you will have time to understand he state system which is very different to the UK system. Private schools are much more prevalent and state school is very hit and miss depending on where you go.

The subject you teach is also going to be a factor, if it is an area that they have a lot of teachers for then why would they bother to help you to get here and teach it if they have quality candidates queuing up out the door. They might hire you if you apply but they probably wont help you to travel and get a visa etc.

In the state system you aren't hired by a school either, you are hired by the equivalent of an LEA and then placed in a school, so there would be uncertainty on the quality of your school, the location, etc etc. Very different from ole blighty.

International section on TES. International Baccalauréat website. Search associates/international school services. Would be some good leads to chase up if you are looking into it.

Here to help if you need anything.

What goes around comes around.

Dan
Scooter is a US citizen..
Old May 27th 2015, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

'Trying to get in at an international school will be your easiest option unless you are already here and or married to a yank.'

Or A citizen...

:-/