Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Dating an Australian and want to become Primary school teacher- study in UK or Under?

Dating an Australian and want to become Primary school teacher- study in UK or Under?

Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Spice1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dating an Australian and want to become Primary school teacher- study in UK or Under?

I am in a pickle and am hoping that someone can shed some much needed guidance on my current situation! Here goes! :

I have been dating an Australian for over a year and am currently living in Sydney with him but have a place at Plymouth University to go back to this September to do a PGCE Primary.

My predicament is that my relationship is very promising and I love it over here in Australia, and am prepared to live out here to be with my man ( and see us being together forever living in Oz). So is it a better option for me to study Primary teaching over here? I have a degree in Ancient History and Sociology from Cardiff Uni- would this be recognized as a suitable subject to be able to apply to Uni in NSW for primary teaching? Will it be difficult to study over here considering I got a 2:2?

I have read how hard it is to apply and find a permanent job over here when coming from the UK. Would I be favoured by Ozi schools if I have a teaching qualification from Oz?

I have asked Plymouth to defer my entry to 2010 to give me more time to see if I can study over here (though still waiting to hear if I can).
I don't want to go back to England and study for a year and then do my year in practice to become a qualified teacher ie taking 2 years to qualify just to face the task of applying and finding a job over here if I can study over here and get a job easier.
Would my qualification over here be recognized in England if ever I was to go back?

I know I have asked a lot of questions, even if someone could shed a little light on my situation I would be so grateful. I just don't know what to do for the best!

My second working visa runs out in November and I presume I can apply for de facto sponsorship as I would have been living with Ben for a year.

Many thanks everyone.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dating an Australian and want to become Primary school teacher- study in UK or Un

One thing you will need to consider is cost. If you dont have a permanent visa your classed as overseas student. Fees can by way more, up to 3 times more! See International fees on the Uni websites.

Several Australia uni do primary teaching distance learning. So its possible to work and do the course. Also Open Universities.au does it distance learning.

You need to contact each Uni to see if they accept your qualifications.

Yes, Australia teaching qualification is accepted in the UK. I also know that International schools in Europe and Worldwide accept the Australian teaching qualification. (Hubby previously worked with Australian teachers).

Gems
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Spice1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dating an Australian and want to become Primary school teacher- study in UK or Un

Thanks Gem-

cost is way more!! And it is something that i could scrape together. The more posts I read the more it makes sense to study over here to avoid being apart from my boyfriend too long.

Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont suppose he would go with you to UK so that you could study and do your NQT year there? You never know, he may like it!