Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

CRB check for returning teacher

CRB check for returning teacher

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:37 am
Just Joined

sounders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CRB check for returning teacher

Hi there (First time poster!)
I am a UK citizen and have QTS via a PGCE. I was a teacher in the UK for ten years. Seven years ago we relocated to Seattle for my husband’s job. We are both green card holders now, though I have not had paid work in the US. Anyway we will be returning to the UK in the Autumn and I want to get back into teaching, either onto a returners course, do supply or doing temporary post jobs. I understand that whatever I do I will need to be sponsored and undergo a CRB check and get a certificate . Does anybody know whether this will be straight forward having had an address in the US for the past seven years? The CRB website suggests that they don’t have access to all criminal records held in all countries. I have had a background check in the US as part of volunteer work I do, will the certificate issued here cover me in the UK (I’m guessing probably not). Anybody have any experience of going back to the UK after living in the US and applying for a CRB certificate?
Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:21 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CRB check for returning teacher

Originally Posted by sounders
Hi there (First time poster!)
I am a UK citizen and have QTS via a PGCE. I was a teacher in the UK for ten years. Seven years ago we relocated to Seattle for my husband’s job. We are both green card holders now, though I have not had paid work in the US. Anyway we will be returning to the UK in the Autumn and I want to get back into teaching, either onto a returners course, do supply or doing temporary post jobs. I understand that whatever I do I will need to be sponsored and undergo a CRB check and get a certificate . Does anybody know whether this will be straight forward having had an address in the US for the past seven years? The CRB website suggests that they don’t have access to all criminal records held in all countries. I have had a background check in the US as part of volunteer work I do, will the certificate issued here cover me in the UK (I’m guessing probably not). Anybody have any experience of going back to the UK after living in the US and applying for a CRB certificate?
Thanks
I have taught for the past 9 years in 3 different Middle Eastern (Saudi, Egypt and now UAE). I have police clearance in the first 2 and will get a 3rd for the UAE when I leave there.

I am guessing that these will be your main reference, but may also have to get a UK check to cover the fact that you may have visited UK during the last 7 years.

How easy is it to get this? I am afraid I don't know. I would look into it prior to returning in case you can get the process started/finished ready for when you get back.

One thing I heard when I was back for this summer holiday is that you may have to the CRB done for any child related job/activity you might want to do (supply teaching, helping at the local playgroup, running local football team, even working voluntarily in the local school). I also believe that you will have to foot the bill for each check. Perhaps someone else may be able to clarify.

Last edited by Victor Meldrew; Sep 11th 2010 at 11:23 am. Reason: Spelling and grammar mistakes
Old Sep 11th 2010, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

sounders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CRB check for returning teacher

Hi,
Thanks so much for your reply. I now have a UK CRB clearance! In the end it was quite simple. I obtained a state police clearance form and this was checked by the agency. I then filled in the CRB form which needed addresses for the last five years. As these addresses were all in the US and in the same state I guess the state police clearance form covered the whole time framework they were interested in. The CRB form arrived back after four weeks. As you imply I think it's best that any returners to the UK get police clearance forms/good conduct forms from the police of the country in which they have been living.