Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Applying for 175 visa, use a migration agent or not?

Applying for 175 visa, use a migration agent or not?

Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Joey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really nice
Default Applying for 175 visa, use a migration agent or not?

Hi,
Im thinking of applying for the 175 permanent residency visa for australia this year. I have passed the points test so its just a case of beginnning the process now. I was just wondering whether to use a migration agent or whether this would use up unnecessary cash. My budget is quite tight!
Thanks,
Joey09
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for 175 visa, use a migration agent or not?

Originally Posted by Joey09
Hi,
Im thinking of applying for the 175 permanent residency visa for australia this year. I have passed the points test so its just a case of beginnning the process now. I was just wondering whether to use a migration agent or whether this would use up unnecessary cash. My budget is quite tight!
Thanks,
Joey09

From what I have read on here, a lot of people manage the process themselves just fine. I chose to use an agent because with my application there are some timing issues, I won't bore you with the details, that mean I must get it right first time. One of the things an agent should ensure is that the application is completed correctly.

I think that agency costs vary but a couple of grand would be a ball park figure as far as I can tell, so it is not cheap. If you have a tight budget, are not in a rush and believe you will be a straightforward case then definitely worth considering going it alone.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Joey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really nice

Thanks, just wondering if I do make a mistake on the application or if something is missing will I lose my money or will it just lengthen the processing of my application?
My head is buzzing with information at the moment!
Joey09
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Hi,
Thanks,
Joey09
I am in the process of applying for a 175 visa, I am waiting for my teacher assessment to come back. I have not gone through an agent as I have found the site invaluable for info. If you need any help just ask
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Thank you, are you primary or secondary? What did you need to submit for the teaching assessment altogether?
Joey09
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

If you have no medical issues or criminal records etc, you should in theory be able to do it yourself.
But if anything that may complicate your application, then best to seek professional help.

Anything you get stuck on ask the immigration forum on here. You always get replies, and some immigration agents post now and again.

Gems
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Thank you!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Thank you, are you primary or secondary? What did you need to submit for the teaching assessment altogether?
Joey09
Secondary ICT/Business - I sent:

Uni Transcripts
Breakdown letter from Uni showing number of teaching days
Letter from uni showing some of the units covered in my lectures such as Assesment, classroom management, teaching and learning etc.
Teaching NQT and Induction Certs
Degree Cert
Sixth Form Certs
Marriage Cert
Job Reference
Passport
Birth Cert
Think this was everything.

Where are you hoping to go? Are you primary or secondary? Hope this helps
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that! I am primary trained and am not sure which state I want to settle in yet. Im going on a WHV in July to decide.
Is it compulsory that I provide a breakdown of the teaching practice and modules completed as I dont think I was given anything like this on completing my PGCE. I know that I have degree certificate but I think this is all I have.
Joey09
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:37 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't use a migration agent. As long as you read everything carefully and follow the instructions it is fairly straightforward.

I didn't include a breakdown of my PGCE modules/teaching practice, just the final certificate and a copy of the course content from the prospectus.

You will require the transcripts for your degree though (the report with units taken and results each year).