Advice required for Oz?

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Bodie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice required for Oz?

My partner and I would like to emigrate to OZ (NSW) in the next couple of years. She is an Ozzie so I was thinking of applying for defacto as we have been together for almost three years. I have used my working holiday visa and also visited Oz on a tourist visa many times.

I am writing to ask for advice on what route I could take into teaching? I am currently working in a secondary modern as an unqualified PE teacher and also teach Ks2 on certain days. I would like to teach or venture into something equivalent in Oz but unsure what my best route would be. I currently have numerous coaching qualifications and a sport science degree. I have been offered a Pgce placement at Durham university and also the chance of a Gtp through my current school. Financially I am going to be struggling to support my self through the Pgce without getting into more debt. The Gtp sounds very attractive but I have read many threads that say it is not recognized. I have also looked at studying the equivalent to the Pgce in oz but as an international student the fees will be to high. What would be my best option? Is there any way of using the Gtp in oz? At the moment I am confused and uncertain of what I will be able to do when we move over.

Apologies if this is a repeat of many other threads, thanks for any help its most appreciated,

Andrew
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice required for Oz?

Originally Posted by Bodie1
My partner and I would like to emigrate to OZ (NSW) in the next couple of years. She is an Ozzie so I was thinking of applying for defacto as we have been together for almost three years. I have used my working holiday visa and also visited Oz on a tourist visa many times.

I am writing to ask for advice on what route I could take into teaching? I am currently working in a secondary modern as an unqualified PE teacher and also teach Ks2 on certain days. I would like to teach or venture into something equivalent in Oz but unsure what my best route would be. I currently have numerous coaching qualifications and a sport science degree. I have been offered a Pgce placement at Durham university and also the chance of a Gtp through my current school. Financially I am going to be struggling to support my self through the Pgce without getting into more debt. The Gtp sounds very attractive but I have read many threads that say it is not recognized. I have also looked at studying the equivalent to the Pgce in oz but as an international student the fees will be to high. What would be my best option? Is there any way of using the Gtp in oz? At the moment I am confused and uncertain of what I will be able to do when we move over.

Apologies if this is a repeat of many other threads, thanks for any help its most appreciated,

Andrew
GTP isn't a recognised qualificaiton in Aus for the vast majority of schools, Stick with the PGCE.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice required for Oz?

GTP is also not really recognised in International Schools.
While I know one guy lucky to get a job, International School generally prefer PGCE. So you may struggle to get work abroad.

So working abroad will be seriously limited doing GTP. My advice go for the PGCE.

Does the Open University (UK) still do PGCE? As this is recognised in Australia and abroad.
Also this would allow you to work while you studied for extra cash.

Gems