Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Advice on getting recognised as a teacher for Oz/NZ

Advice on getting recognised as a teacher for Oz/NZ

Old Sep 6th 2006, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Muncles will become famous soon enoughMuncles will become famous soon enough
Default Advice on getting recognised as a teacher for Oz/NZ

Hi All,

Another set of questions. Got a confusing reply from NZQA, regarding recognition of GTP training and recognition by NZQA.

I have contacted a number of Universities regarding this problem. I have asked if I can be reassessed by an assessor from the Uni and get a PGCE but this is a no go. They empathise with my problem but say it would set a president. I can't be put on a PGCE course, because I already have QTS status and it is therefore not in their interests to give me a place on their course.

I am now looking at doing part (modules equivalent to 1 full year) of a Masters of Education to see if this will be recognised by NOOSR. I have emailed NOOSR, but as yet no reply from them.

The other thought I had was going to Oz on a student visa and studying their equivalent of a PGCE. Coming back and then submitting my application. What I need to know is if this would work? I have almost 2 years full time experience as a fully qualified teacher in the UK.

Would teaching prior to gaining the Oz qualification be admissible on my work experience for my Skilled PR visa application? This is the only possible stumbling block I can see with this route as I have the funds to enable me to do this.

Would welcome any advice.

Thanks in advance,
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

WESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice on getting recognised as a teacher for Oz/NZ

Originally Posted by Muncles
Hi All,

Another set of questions. Got a confusing reply from NZQA, regarding recognition of GTP training and recognition by NZQA.

I have contacted a number of Universities regarding this problem. I have asked if I can be reassessed by an assessor from the Uni and get a PGCE but this is a no go. They empathise with my problem but say it would set a president. I can't be put on a PGCE course, because I already have QTS status and it is therefore not in their interests to give me a place on their course.

I am now looking at doing part (modules equivalent to 1 full year) of a Masters of Education to see if this will be recognised by NOOSR. I have emailed NOOSR, but as yet no reply from them.

The other thought I had was going to Oz on a student visa and studying their equivalent of a PGCE. Coming back and then submitting my application. What I need to know is if this would work? I have almost 2 years full time experience as a fully qualified teacher in the UK.

Would teaching prior to gaining the Oz qualification be admissible on my work experience for my Skilled PR visa application? This is the only possible stumbling block I can see with this route as I have the funds to enable me to do this.

Thanks in advance,
Consult a registered migration agent to assess your case, otherwise you are likely to waste a lot of money.

Westly Russell
RMA 0316072
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WESTLY
Consult a registered migration agent to assess your case, otherwise you are likely to waste a lot of money.

Westly Russell
RMA 0316072
Going straight to the "horse's mouth" would surely be the best bet and free.

As I say I am researching into whether these are acceptable to NOOSR, one of the methods of research would be going to an RMA but NOOSR or from November 1st, the Australian Authority is surely the best course of action at this stage. Where would the RMA go to get the information?

I have contacted these by email already but have had no reply as yet. Has anyone any experience of speed of response from these organisations?

In addition, any information anyone has about the questions already posed would be welcomed.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

WESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud of

Going straight to the "horse's mouth" would surely be the best bet and free.

As I say I am researching into whether these are acceptable to NOOSR, one of the methods of research would be going to an RMA but NOOSR or from November 1st, the Australian Authority is surely the best course of action at this stage. Where would the RMA go to get the information?

I have contacted these by email already but have had no reply as yet. Has anyone any experience of speed of response from these organisations?

In addition, any information anyone has about the questions already posed would be welcomed.
Do it your way.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WESTLY
Do it your way.
No offense was meant.

Clearly some was taken and elicited this response.

This is meant to be a friendly and helpful forum. This comment is neither.

As I said I am researching my position as far as PR goes which is what this forum is for. A RMA is one route I am considering to get the information I need...

As for who I choose for that service, I'd be looking for someone helpful, effective and friendly.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I can't be put on a PGCE course, because I already have QTS status and it is therefore not in their interests to give me a place on their course.

I have almost 2 years full time experience as a fully qualified teacher in the UK.

Thanks in advance,

Hi muncles

a question for you...why aren't your qualification reconginised...what is the problem. You have a teaching qualification here and two years experience! Im a primary school teacher and had no problem with NOOSR.

Is it to do with your degreee? I may be able to help if had some background.

regards

lolly
Old Sep 8th 2006, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lollyno1
Hi muncles

a question for you...why aren't your qualification reconginised...what is the problem. You have a teaching qualification here and two years experience! Im a primary school teacher and had no problem with NOOSR.

Is it to do with your degreee? I may be able to help if had some background.

regards

lolly
Hi Lolly,

I trained via the Graduate Teacher Training Programme which is a school based approach which results in the issuing of QTS but no PGCE qualification. One of NOOSR requirements and I'm paraphrasing here is "one year of full time study (or part-time equivalent) in academic professional studies directly relating to your profession".

NOOSR do not recognise the GTP training route in a nutshell.

HTH,
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Hi,

I am a primary school teacher who is moving to WA next month. I qualified by doing a SCITT course, but luckily it included PGCE.

My advice would be to contact individual state's education department. They are slow-ish to reply (approx 7-10 days in my experience) but at least you get an answer.
I can only tell you for W.A., and they DON'T accept GTP. I heard a rumour that Victoria might, but try the actual departments, as I said.

As far as your experience counting, I have 2 years full time experience too and have been told that I will go in at the corresponding salary level (ie, 3 up from graduate/NQT equivalent salary). If they don't recognise GTP then I guess it is possible that they MIGHT not recognise the experience, but you may get lucky. Having QTS is a good thing, make sure you mention that in your enquiries.

I think their PGCE equivalent is called a Graduate Diploma in Education (don't quote me on that though!). I don't see why you couldn't go there on a student visa and try and get qualified that way. It's possible you could extend your student visa, and change it to a skilled visa as well. Qualifications do get extra points after all. It sounds a bit expensive/long-winded and you have my sympathies.

Best of luck, and hope this helps,

Gemma
Old Sep 8th 2006, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi,
My advice would be to contact individual state's education department. They are slow-ish to reply (approx 7-10 days in my experience) but at least you get an answer.
I can only tell you for W.A., and they DON'T accept GTP. I heard a rumour that Victoria might, but try the actual departments, as I said.

I think their PGCE equivalent is called a Graduate Diploma in Education (don't quote me on that though!). I don't see why you couldn't go there on a student visa and try and get qualified that way. It's possible you could extend your student visa, and change it to a skilled visa as well. Qualifications do get extra points after all. It sounds a bit expensive/long-winded and you have my sympathies.

Best of luck, and hope this helps,

Gemma
Thanks for this. It has answered my questions as fully as I could expect.

NOOSR don't accept GTP full stop which means you're stuffed for PR.

I've looked at a the cost of a few courses in Oz, :scared: I had to sit down!

AUD17,500 seems a ridiculous sum but it hasn't put me off. I now need to clear up one or two more questions but I'm unsure where to go to ask. NOOSR have replied but can't help on the point of whether my experience prior to obtaining Dip.Ed. would count in a PR application.

Anyone know where I could get a definitive answer?

Thanks again Gemma and Lolly. Thanks in advance for any help with respect to the new question posed.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:59 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. It has answered my questions as fully as I could expect.

NOOSR don't accept GTP full stop which means you're stuffed for PR.

I've looked at a the cost of a few courses in Oz, :scared: I had to sit down!

AUD17,500 seems a ridiculous sum but it hasn't put me off. I now need to clear up one or two more questions but I'm unsure where to go to ask. NOOSR have replied but can't help on the point of whether my experience prior to obtaining Dip.Ed. would count in a PR application.

Anyone know where I could get a definitive answer?

Thanks again Gemma and Lolly. Thanks in advance for any help with respect to the new question posed.
As far as I'm aware, you can get a positive skills assessment from NOOSR with just a PGCE and no NQT year or work expeience, which would suggest that the validity of your previous experience may not be an issue.

I do sympathise with your situation - The fact that no appropriate certificate is issued after a GTP course is fundamentally wrong, but isn't going to change. The UK authorities have a vested interest in keeping you there, so if they arn't going to make it easy for you to up sticks and take the valuable training they've paid for off elsewhere.

Have you looked at re-training in Ireland? That has emerged as a possibility in the past, as it is much cheaper than re-training in Aus. Also, many of the schools are Catholic, which would make you attractive to the state Catholic education services.

Something to consider.

S
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
As far as I'm aware, you can get a positive skills assessment from NOOSR with just a PGCE and no NQT year or work expeience, which would suggest that the validity of your previous experience may not be an issue.

I do sympathise with your situation - The fact that no appropriate certificate is issued after a GTP course is fundamentally wrong, but isn't going to change. The UK authorities have a vested interest in keeping you there, so if they arn't going to make it easy for you to up sticks and take the valuable training they've paid for off elsewhere.

Have you looked at re-training in Ireland? That has emerged as a possibility in the past, as it is much cheaper than re-training in Aus. Also, many of the schools are Catholic, which would make you attractive to the state Catholic education services.

Something to consider.

S
Just wanted to thank you all again for your help. I'm going for it. Have the funds together for the course. Just budgeting for living expenses now. Anyone know if there's any funding or financial help available for overseas students in Oz?

I have some friends in the Perth area who've said they'll put me up. The living expenses will take about a year to get together so Christmas 2007 I'll be off.

Swervo I'm what I'd term as a lapsed catholic (shhh, don't tell the big fella!).

Even if I don't get to stay there forever I fancy a break from the school I'm in as it's moving to an Academy in 2008. Kiss of death IMHO. I get to spend a year there. My age is a concern as I'll tick over into the next age range 35+, 6 months after I finish the course.

I can always try NZ if Australia doesn't come off.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you.

Hope things work out for you.

regards

lolly