Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

457 prelim quals assessment - how long?

457 prelim quals assessment - how long?

Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:15 am
Just Joined

louisew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 prelim quals assessment - how long?

Hi all.
I sent off all the required info nearly a month ago now and have heard nothing back yet. Does anybody know the usual timescale? I know this has probably been answered lots before on here and I've had a trawl but can find nothing. Am worried that, somehow, my email and copious attachments have been lost on the ether! Should I send an email asking if they have received my last email or will this make me seem like more of a nag than I actually am and scupper my chances?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

leeh36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 457 prelim quals assessment - how long?

took 2 weeks for mine. The christmas period will slow it down a bit though.

A reminder email would not hurt, i sent out and it did not go against my checks. Go for it!

Lee
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Lee. Will send them a new email and see what happens. Two weeks is very quick! Is that when you heard about your interview or were there other steps to go through?
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Am gutted! Have just had a reply saying that they cannot process my application until a workforce review for 2010 has been completed but are happy to hang on to it til then. Apparently this should be done within the next couple of months. Does anybody have a clue of the likelihood of primary teachers still being needed? From what I've read there is a shortage, but has the gap been plugged already? Not sure what to do now - I don't like all this waiting and feel I should be doing something! Any responses would be much appreciated - even if it's only to say stop feeling sorry for yourself, you silly moo x
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Herds2Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louisew
Am gutted! Have just had a reply saying that they cannot process my application until a workforce review for 2010 has been completed but are happy to hang on to it til then. Apparently this should be done within the next couple of months. Does anybody have a clue of the likelihood of primary teachers still being needed? From what I've read there is a shortage, but has the gap been plugged already? Not sure what to do now - I don't like all this waiting and feel I should be doing something! Any responses would be much appreciated - even if it's only to say stop feeling sorry for yourself, you silly moo x
Hi louise w

Sorry to hear your news. I was told at DET presentation in Edinburgh (Nov) that they will have 700 posts to fill in 2010 - sorry, I know that doesn't help you at the moment.

Anyway, here's the keep smiling, positive stuff that will hopefully help you keep the belief. My brother in Perth told me that there has been a bit of a baby boom in WA for last 5 years - due to government cash incentives - so more teachers required. I also read a report about the need for more midwives in Aus due to increase in birth rate - yeah more teachers required too.

It might be worthwhile looking at other visa qualifying criteria and at least you will be exploring all your options and being proactive may make you feel more in control of your destiny. We considered the 176 route with my brother as sponsor before deciding to go with DET 457 - do you have any relatives in Aus or do you have enough points (still 120 I think) to apply for an independent skilled migrant visa? DET still have you on their radar so when they start interviewing again they will have all your info and quals assessment done so you'll be ahead of the game in that respect. You could always just send occasional emails enquiring about any further updates - just a thought! Don't let anyone steal your dream though...................

Keep smiling and best wishes
Herds2Oz
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Louise

I have just started another thread about the 457 DET program being on hold as I had heard from a friend at your stage in application and who probably received the same email you did..... I have family in WA and have asked them to do a bit of investigating to find out what is going on. I can only assume that this good old world economic downturn has arrived in the "land of plenty" ! I will post any answers I get - but meanwhile the advice from Herds2oz is good and am now looking at that too.

GEMS???? Are you there???? Have you heard anything about this as you seem to be pretty well informed on so much having gone this route??

Think positive and Happy New Year!!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks Herds and Briar - good advice. Am going to carry on for the mo as though all was still going as plan - keep saving basically and see what the next couple of months brings. If no joy on the 457 to wa, I know vic do a 475 sponsorship, just no guaranteed job when you get there and I don't know if I'm that much of a risk taker. Will keep my fingers crossed and check out your thread Briar. Thanks again.