3 year or 4 year degree ?

Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

ronocod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 year or 4 year degree ?

Hi everyone.
I am starting university next year (in uk) but I am undecided still weather I want to do a 3 year of 4 year primary education degree. I understand that for Australia I need to have a 4 year degree, but is that still the case if my degree is in primary education, rather thana 3 year +PGCE. (would rather get the degree ASAP)

Does anyone have a list of countries and what qualifications they require from a permanent primary teacher? Please include any country, Im not counting anywhere out.

Thanks
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:03 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: 3 year or 4 year degree ?

Originally Posted by ronocod
Hi everyone.
I am starting university next year (in uk) but I am undecided still weather I want to do a 3 year of 4 year primary education degree. I understand that for Australia I need to have a 4 year degree, but is that still the case if my degree is in primary education, rather thana 3 year +PGCE. (would rather get the degree ASAP)

Does anyone have a list of countries and what qualifications they require from a permanent primary teacher? Please include any country, Im not counting anywhere out.

Thanks
Either is totally acceptable - 4 year BEd, or a 3 year degree + a 1 year PGCE in teaching. I know when we looked at USA they wouldn't recognise my BEd, and wanted a PGCE + degree, couldn't comment on others!

It is worth noting that PGCE's can be difficult to get into, I know at least 3 people who had to wait a year+ before getting a spot on the course, which could mean the process takes 5-6 years, rather than the 4!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Ive also heard the PGCE primary back in the UK is now hard to get on due to too many applicants.
When hubby did it years ago it was not so difficult, but over the years has got more and more popular.

Gems
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone.

Thanks
I may have misunderstood but it sounds to me as if the question is whether a 3 year BEd in primary education is acceptable in which case the answer is NO. Basically you need to do 4 years tertiary education before you get your QTS.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Basically you need to do 4 years tertiary education before you get your QTS.
actually this is not true. There are 3 year BEd courses which included ITT and QTS. There are only a few universities that do it but it is possible. I know for a fact that this will enable someone to work as a teacher in the UK. My question was for countries other than the UK.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:26 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

actually this is not true. There are 3 year BEd courses which included ITT and QTS. There are only a few universities that do it but it is possible. I know for a fact that this will enable someone to work as a teacher in the UK. My question was for countries other than the UK.
I can safely say that NO you will not be allowed to teach after only a 3 year uni course, UNLESS you follow it up by a 1 year post grad. In order to teach in Australia, you MUST have a 4 year teachers degree OR a 3 year degree + 1 year PGCE.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:28 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Ronocod you're right, you will be awarded QTS after completing some 3 yr BEd courses which enables you to teach in the UK. But Australia won't recognise you as a Qualified Teacher unless you do 4 years tertiary education.

Can you be more specific as to which other countries you would consider working in and maybe people will be able to give you more information?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

WS - thanks.
everyone else - maybe things have changed since you did your degrees!

I know most people here are in Australia and thanks for pointing out that I need 4years. The countries I am interested in finding out about are;
New Zealand
Canada
USA (I know it varies state by state, eg, South Calorina accepts 3year Florida accepts 4year, so if anyone knows others?)
South Africa
Hong Kong
Singapore
EU countries

Basically if anyone knows real info on any countries' teaching requirements (except UK, Ireland & Australia) I will be pleased to hear from you.
Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Yes I know you can get QTS after 3 years, My answer was that for Australia (as was in your question) a 3 year BEd is not acceptable.

Perhaps when people are trying to help you it would be nice to read their answers carefully as a response to your question. No one on this thread has said that you can't teach in the UK with a 3 year course, you question was about Australia and that is what people responded too.

I do know something about some of those other countries but my willingness to help has been eliminated by your rudeness.