Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

175 or 176?? choices, choices??

175 or 176?? choices, choices??

Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Bev_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 175 or 176?? choices, choices??

hey all!

Still a little confused about the visas

I know the 176 is a family sponsored visa but what is the 175? and which should I go for?

Im a primary teacher, qualified last year and been doing supply since (so nearly a year on supply). I'm hopefully going to be starting my nqt year in sept if I manage to get a job but if not (because jobs are like gold dust here) i'll be sticking to supply but hoping for some long term work. My auntie lives on the Gold Coast and I know she'd help us out, she has already helped us so much.

My auntie and uncle are citizens now so that's not a problem. I heared on one thread that you need to show proof of relationship. How would that work with an auntie? She is my dad's sister, so doesn't have the same surname, and it would probably be my uncle who does all the paperwork if we chose the 176 anyway!

So what is the difference between the two visas? and which would be best for me?

bev x
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:01 pm
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 175 or 176?? choices, choices??

HI Bev, right I'm sure others will correct me and tell you more relevant details so dont take my word for it, but the biggest difference between the two is the point system.
The 175 visa requires 120 points, so if you can tick off all the boxes on the eligibility page on the immigration site and make over 120 points then you may as well go for the 175 because then you wouldnet need to prove your family relationship.
However people mainly go for the 176 because you only need 100 points and can use your family sponsorship willingly to help you get extra points if you are errrhmmm OLDER, and therefore need extra points. I'm under 30 but cannot get points for lots of years recent experience because i have been fannying around travelling, SO im going for the 176, as i have family in perth who is my uncle BTW and he will sponsor so its the best visa for me to pass the point threshold.
Hopes this helps, go to the immigration site to check your point system out on the eligibilty list it will help with a lot of questions before you actually get down to the nitty gritty!!!
Laura
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

I know people have been saying that teaching is no longer on the SOL list but i jus tried to do a quick points test and it refused me when i ticked 'no-my occupation is not on the SOL list' but then I looked and teacher is on there!! im confused!!

Is it just that it is on the SOL list but it's not in demand at the moment?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

I think it was the CSL that I meant..not SOL ... damn these acronyms are getting confusing!! lol
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bev_n
I think it was the CSL that I meant..not SOL ... damn these acronyms are getting confusing!! lol
It is on the SOL, not on the CSL or MODL.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:28 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get the 120 points, go for the 175. (I'm not sure you'll be able to?).

If you can't get 120 points, but can get 100 then apply for the 176 which means you are just sponsored by state/family etc.

Are you eligible for a 175?: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-applicant.htm
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by WS
If you can get the 120 points, go for the 175. (I'm not sure you'll be able to?).

If you can't get 120 points, but can get 100 then apply for the 176 which means you are just sponsored by state/family etc.

Are you eligible for a 175?: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-applicant.htm
I'm not sure I'd agree with that advice at the moment (normally I do). State sponsored visas are likely to be processed much faster than independent under the current processing priorities so if you can get state sponsorship I'd go for it. (Family sponsorship won't increase processing speed.)
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:47 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

All things being equal, it will make no difference between a 175 and a 176 family sponsored. If you can get state sponsorship for permanent primary teaching then in the current processing procedure, you'd go with that. However, none are sponsoring although there is pre-primary but I am not sure that is something you'd have the experienc to apply.

Read the posts on immgration and you'll get an idea of the process.

Good luck,
Cooler

Originally Posted by Bev_n
hey all!

Still a little confused about the visas

I know the 176 is a family sponsored visa but what is the 175? and which should I go for?

Im a primary teacher, qualified last year and been doing supply since (so nearly a year on supply). I'm hopefully going to be starting my nqt year in sept if I manage to get a job but if not (because jobs are like gold dust here) i'll be sticking to supply but hoping for some long term work. My auntie lives on the Gold Coast and I know she'd help us out, she has already helped us so much.

My auntie and uncle are citizens now so that's not a problem. I heared on one thread that you need to show proof of relationship. How would that work with an auntie? She is my dad's sister, so doesn't have the same surname, and it would probably be my uncle who does all the paperwork if we chose the 176 anyway!

So what is the difference between the two visas? and which would be best for me?

bev x
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:30 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
All things being equal, it will make no difference between a 175 and a 176 family sponsored. If you can get state sponsorship for permanent primary teaching then in the current processing procedure, you'd go with that. However, none are sponsoring although there is pre-primary but I am not sure that is something you'd have the experienc to apply.

Read the posts on immgration and you'll get an idea of the process.

Good luck,
Cooler
ACT are sponsoring Pre-Primary but you must have 'long day care experience' of working with 0 to 2 year olds, even though I was assessed by TA as being both Pre-Primary and Primary, they said they would not sponsor me because I didn't have the above experience. So in short, no states are sponsoring Primary Teachers, so it's a very very long wait ahead of us I'm afraid to say....