Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Zimbabwean reckons the UK is ruined

Zimbabwean reckons the UK is ruined

Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:11 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Zimbabwean reckons the UK is ruined

Greetings,

Have been challenged by Rick to start a thread in this forum discussing how labour has ruined the UK.

I have started this thread here ( in this forum)as I have not lived in the UK for over 20 years but was there for 4 weeks in January and loved the place. I personally think that Brits and / or ex-pats have something to be proud of in the UK.

It get’s up my nose when countries like Zimbabwe are constantly attacking the UK as their enemy and we certainly noticed that there were heaps of African charities in the UK begging.

Rick B lives in Zimbabwe and seems to be pro Mugabe and have this anti colonial vibe about him in my opinion.

Rick, it over to you mate.

Originally Posted by Rick b View Post
Sorry chum, not going to rise to your games. But if you want a discussion on how Labour has ruined Britain, I'm more than happy to have it.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zimbabwean reckons the UK is ruined

Originally Posted by Campbells View Post
Greetings,

Have been challenged by Rick to start a thread in this forum discussing how labour has ruined the UK.

I have started this thread here ( in this forum)as I have not lived in the UK for over 20 years but was there for 4 weeks in January and loved the place. I personally think that Brits and / or ex-pats have something to be proud of in the UK.

It get’s up my nose when countries like Zimbabwe are constantly attacking the UK as their enemy and we certainly noticed that there were heaps of African charities in the UK begging.

Rick B lives in Zimbabwe and seems to be pro Mugabe and have this anti colonial vibe about him in my opinion.

Rick, it over to you mate.
This has absolutely nothing to do with moving back to the UK...why have you posted this thread here?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:22 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
This has absolutely nothing to do with moving back to the UK...why have you posted this thread here?
Can you move it to TIO?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:29 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post

Well actually we are considering moving back to the UK and would like to hear people’s opinion if the UK has actually been ruined.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well actually we are considering moving back to the UK and would like to hear people’s opinion if the UK has actually been ruined.
This is not the forum for this subject and you know it....whether you are thinking about moving back or not.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very much like you (or at the very least your mate Rick, ) are trolling!

The UK is a great country, still with loads of opportunity & great countryside & vibrant cities! History & access to arts & culture that many countries would hold in awe. Of course the weather is not very reliable & neither are the buses! Only certainty in life, death & taxes & you will get loads of the latter here!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:00 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I've been following some of the threads in the Africa forum recently and this seems to me to be a blatant distortion of Rick B's position.

and I personally don't believe that Labour has "ruined the UK" either.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:33 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

If the country has been ruined, then it is by the government, that unelected mass that gets in whoever you vote for. IMO your choice betwwen parties at the elections is tantamount to voting for whether the government screws you wearing a red condom, a blue condom, or a yellow one.

All politicians are scum, so let's not get partisan.

I feel the UK is going downhill, but not perhaps in the conventional ways.

We have to run faster each day to stand still. Our taxes go up and up while service goes down. We are berated by the government for the way we throw our rubbish away, while they do nothing to adequately recycle rubbish.

Education seems to go downhill, badly for anyone with the slightest problems. A 9 year old who cannot do her 6 times table is considered within normal parameters.

Prices are thru the roof, for items that in continental europe cost a fraction of what we are charged. It is actually worth my while to drive to France, fill my car with mineral water and come home. Until comparatively recently, those oh-so-vital green flouro light bulbs that were £2 in Spain were £10 here.

We just went to Tesco, and bought fruit and veg, two pizzas a lump of cheese, an easter egg, stuff like that, nothing lavish. Didn't fill a small trolley, and it cost almost £150. My council tax is £240 a month in the UK, 135 euros a year in Spain.

Go to Spain and I forfeit my right to NHS treatment while not getting reciprocal treatment from Spain, while immigrants waltz into the UK and get treated on the NHS that I paid for before they pay a penny into the system.

I could go on, but you get the point.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:07 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil View Post
We just went to Tesco, and bought fruit and veg, two pizzas a lump of cheese, an easter egg, stuff like that, nothing lavish. Didn't fill a small trolley, and it cost almost £150. My council tax is £240 a month in the UK, 135 euros a year in Spain.
This does not mirror my recent experiences in Tesco in the UK.
And where I live people would consider £240 a month for property tax (the equivalent of council tax) to be a bargain.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:17 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather pay 240 quid a month than fear for my life.

bargain.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:41 am
Banned

James1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to all

"...and I personally don't believe that Labour has "ruined the UK" either.[/QUOTE]

I was not going to post here anymore Elfie... but your nurse PM'd me asking me to try and bring you back to reality.

Please tell us that this is a joke! - even Lord Haw Haw would not have tried to peddle this bit of nonsense
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by James1st View Post

I was not going to post here anymore Elfie... but your nurse PM'd me asking me to try and bring you back to reality.

Please tell us that this is a joke! - even Lord Haw Haw would not have tried to peddle this bit of nonsense
Enough now James...you've had a good run but it's getting rather tiresome now.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman View Post
This does not mirror my recent experiences in Tesco in the UK.
And where I live people would consider £240 a month for property tax (the equivalent of council tax) to be a bargain.
Wow!!

Begin Hijack: Yet another factor to keep in mind if we move to Scotland. We only pay $170/mo for property taxes. £240/mo is pretty darn high.

End Hijack
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Zimbabwean reckons the UK is ruined

Originally Posted by bil View Post
Go to Spain and I forfeit my right to NHS treatment while not getting reciprocal treatment from Spain, while immigrants waltz into the UK and get treated on the NHS that I paid for before they pay a penny into the system.
It always amuses me when people say this. How do you know who's receiving NHS treatment? Do you walk around Dagenham and ask people? Do you conduct regular polls in Peterborough? Or do you receive psychic updates from NHS headquarters which provide the latest "immigrants using NHS" statistics?

There is no general right to come to the UK in order to obtain free treatment on the UK’s National Health Service (NHS).

Nationals of the member states of the European Economic Area (EEA), or their family members, and refugees and stateless persons living within the EEA, have the right to NHS treatment without charge where the need arises during their stay.

EEA nationals who wish to enter the UK for treatment (or who are referred to the UK for treatment) should obtain prior authorisation from their national social security institution, which in principle bears the cost, and obtain form E112 before travelling.

[...]

Most NHS treatment is not automatically free of charge to other people from abroad.

Access to the NHS depends on a combination of one or more of: immigration status; length of residence; nature of the treatment required; and whether the need for it arose during the visit.
Source.

"Immigrants waltzing into the UK and getting treated on the NHS" is a myth. The only people who can do that are those whose countries have a reciprocal agreement (like Australia), or are members of the EEA.

And you can do exactly the same in their countries, so it all balances out.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:05 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

The highest council tax rate at the moment is £1,665, and that's for the LB of Richmond, so either you are being over charged Bill or since you live in Richmond, stop moaning and sell one of the Mercs.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.