Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

On your way, Huawei

On your way, Huawei

Old May 27th 2020, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On your way, Huawei

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Yeah and if recent celebration photos are anything to go by, it looks like she's pretty certain she'll be freed. I wonder if she knows something that the rest of us don't....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ourt-1.5582689
BC judge rules the extradition proceedings shall move forward, next step hearings to determine if she should be extradited.

Old May 27th 2020, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
BC judge rules the extradition proceedings shall move forward, next step hearings to determine if she should be extradited.
It looks like she must have been counting her chickens. So now another month to find out what happens next...
Old May 31st 2020, 3:09 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting that people don't seem to mind being spied on by the NSA (Cisco is still the only telecoms manufacturer to have a proven backdoor) or have their data stolen by Facebook or any of the other dubious harvesters out there..... but mention China and it all becomes unacceptable.

I bear no torch for the Beijing government and I am concerned at the increasingly centralist policies being adopted in a system that seems at odds with our own way of life.... however, I don't see there being any more risk in having our data "stolen" by Beijing than by Russia, or the USA - none of them are my government, none of them are working for my benefit and none of whom represent a system I want to see dominant. I also have some faith in our own security agancies, who are quite capable of seeing whether or not there is an acceptable risk in using Huawei kit, without their political masters being browbeaten by our supposed allies with no evidence whatsoever provided.

Anyone claiming that there is no Chinese government influence over Huawei is in cloud-cuckoo land...... but equally, Cisco did not volunteer it's equipment for use in spying by the NSA, so it's goose and gander. The actual danger is in having the breadth of manufacturer options constrained by a government looking to its own advantage - I would not suggest buying an entire network from Huawei or anyone else due to the "dangers", more technical than political, of such a course of action. What is required is a network made up of "best in class" and with an eye to diversity of supply.... BT has used rivals as duplicate suppliers in it's existing internet network for exactly that reason... if one fails, or if one tries to increase cost, or limit supply, etc., etc..... you use the alternate. I admit that I am not a 5G expert..... but I would sooner trust those that are to protect my interests than listen to unsubstantiated tosh from people with a vested interest in crippling a rival.

I first encountered Huawei some 20 years ago - at that time they had no presence in the UK, working out of Germany. Their engineers were first class, but their equipment was based on older designs and looked like the preverbial Hong Kong tailors had been at work. However, they produced the goods and were able to evolve profucts rapidly..... rather too rapidly for the USA which was only too happy that one country should be dominant in high-tech up until then..... as long as that country was the USA. The US action to bar the use of Android on Huawei mobile phoes was no more than an attempt to bankrupt the company and prevent it threatening supposed US brands (which happen to be made in China for profit reasons). I expect similar action to be taken against Xiaomi or any other Chinese Companies that threaten to upset the created monopoly.

So, now we see in Huawei a company that is miles ahead of the competition in 5G - and able to deliver the product before any of its rivals, and suddenly we are beset by "chinese whispers" about security and heavy-handed threats from the US administration for anyone not prepared to kow-tow to the Washington party line. This looks to be just part of the struggle of a USA that believed that it could defy the normal rise and fall of dominance and has been consumed by its own greed at the expense of others. China will certainly be no better. power corrupts.....
Old May 31st 2020, 4:49 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Good post. Considering where all of this originated (and lack of any hard evidence), the number of faux pas requiring coverup or at least, major diversion, in light of the upcoming elections, I think this one can be sequestered to the "patently politically motivated" column.

Although as proven time and time again, all it takes it to fabricate a "truth" is to simply to say it over and over again.
Old May 31st 2020, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

The companies in Canada that are going with Huawei are at a competitive disadvantage now, the company that went with Ericsson is done and their 5g network was activated, but not sure its been made available to consumer level yet.
Old May 31st 2020, 6:28 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
The companies in Canada that are going with Huawei are at a competitive disadvantage now, the company that went with Ericsson is done and their 5g network was activated, but not sure its been made available to consumer level yet.
Good luck to anyone believing that Ericsson has the answer....... they're more likely to re-badge old products and charge you double. Then they'll declare core components to be "Last Chance To Buy" and ask vastly inflated sums for maintenance.....

Not that I have any experience in this area, you understand.
Old May 31st 2020, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Good luck to anyone believing that Ericsson has the answer....... they're more likely to re-badge old products and charge you double. Then they'll declare core components to be "Last Chance To Buy" and ask vastly inflated sums for maintenance.....

Oh I dont if they are any better just the company that used them has a competitive advantage for the time being.

4G is fast enough for me so I dont care about all this 5G hoopla.

Old May 31st 2020, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

None of us has great knowledge of 5g but something we all should very clearly know and understand is how China under the CCP treats its own people poses and its objectives in regard to the rest of the world. A taster of things to come from them as we continue our sleepwalk into greater dependency, has been laid bare to us by its behaviour over recent months. The CCP is up there with the very worst of vile regimes that we have encountered this last 100 years or so.
Old May 31st 2020, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked for leading some Asian telecoms companies in Asia and in Europe in managerial roles. They do not follow any of the European or international rules, they are a law unto themselves with pirated software, complete disregard for labour laws or European Legislation. They have all but eliminated the European Communications industry ie. Nokia, Siemens, Ericsson etc. There are no obstacles, the brown envelope wins every time. But do not believe everything is fine with 3G and 4G on the H&S side of things, Universities Worldwide are very keen to accept payments for research showing that mobile coms are completely safe. Rarely are real real tests carried out on 3G and 4G handsets, usually 2G results are rehashed while the Uni pockets a nice 10M$ cheque. There are many professionals from the health and scientific community that have been screaming out over the dangers of 3/4G human power absorption but they are shouted down by the industry and the likes of some Swedish child activists who need their facebook, whatsapp and instagram services, never mind the mega power requirements of the new switching centres.
Old May 31st 2020, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post

I think Ericsson has a close tie up with LG in Korea after their 4G rollout 5 years ago so it is not rebadging. Remember that rebadging requires type approval!! This requires time or brown envelopes. They will still charge you double anyway and rightly so.
Old May 31st 2020, 11:21 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Maybe1day View Post
I have worked for leading some Asian telecoms companies in Asia and in Europe in managerial roles. They do not follow any of the European or international rules, they are a law unto themselves with pirated software, complete disregard for labour laws or European Legislation. They have all but eliminated the European Communications industry ie. Nokia, Siemens, Ericsson etc. There are no obstacles, the brown envelope wins every time. But do not believe everything is fine with 3G and 4G on the H&S side of things, Universities Worldwide are very keen to accept payments for research showing that mobile coms are completely safe. Rarely are real real tests carried out on 3G and 4G handsets, usually 2G results are rehashed while the Uni pockets a nice 10M$ cheque. There are many professionals from the health and scientific community that have been screaming out over the dangers of 3/4G human power absorption but they are shouted down by the industry and the likes of some Swedish child activists who need their facebook, whatsapp and instagram services, never mind the mega power requirements of the new switching centres.
Not a lot of facts there to back any of that up - or to suggest why Huawei is any worse than its rivals in "payola" or in the "danger" area. I don't buy into conspiracy theories.
European communications companies were mainly eliminated by selling out or combining with rivals or going bankrupt when they couldn't survive without bigger markets. I accept much of what you say about Asian companies - I said so myself about Huawei - they did indeed start by copying existing kit or ideas, just like Japanese and Chinese car companies did back in the day, but it's the speed of evolution that's staggering. How are Huawei copying anyone in 5G when they're the ones in front?
Old Jun 1st 2020, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

I have never worked for Huawei only an upcoming copy. A typical example in Europe was that all engineers had business visas valid for 1 month, they lived in apartments like ours but there were up to 10 of them in it. When labour officers came to visit the offices instead of the 400 or so staff normally present there were only a handful of expats and the 2 head honchos. An hour later everyone was present, Salaries were paid in China at their local rates. ISO9000 What did that mean, all duff equipment was piled up in a warehouse ( I saw the pictures) and no investigation into the failures was ever made, I had to lie and make false promises to the Asian and European customers about fault reports? Miraculous Type approvals in 24 hours. They worked typically from 8am until after 10pm although they did not appear to achieve much in those extra hours. In China I had 60 engineers working for me, them put me in a corner, but I moved to sit behind them so that I could see what they were up to........this certainly changed the output. They were paying a company in the ME around 15% of what Ericsson paid for the same equipment, Obviously just better negotiators!
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:28 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Maybe1day View Post
I have never worked for Huawei only an upcoming copy. A typical example in Europe was that all engineers had business visas valid for 1 month, they lived in apartments like ours but there were up to 10 of them in it. When labour officers came to visit the offices instead of the 400 or so staff normally present there were only a handful of expats and the 2 head honchos. An hour later everyone was present, Salaries were paid in China at their local rates. ISO9000 What did that mean, all duff equipment was piled up in a warehouse ( I saw the pictures) and no investigation into the failures was ever made, I had to lie and make false promises to the Asian and European customers about fault reports? Miraculous Type approvals in 24 hours. They worked typically from 8am until after 10pm although they did not appear to achieve much in those extra hours. In China I had 60 engineers working for me, them put me in a corner, but I moved to sit behind them so that I could see what they were up to........this certainly changed the output. They were paying a company in the ME around 15% of what Ericsson paid for the same equipment, Obviously just better negotiators!
Sorry, are we talking about actual dangers or security issues with Huawei, or sweat-shop practices with an unnamed "asian" company? You do realise that many "western" products are produced in exactly the same way for profit, right? You are aware of the frequent exploitation of people in Asia by "middle-men" producing goods for premium western companies.... who declare their "shock" when such practices are exposed?

As with paulry talking about the CCP and China in general, Huawei just seem to be the whipping boy for all the generic China=Bad stories out there - which is just what their rivals want. Tell me what Huawei do, tell me about the specific issues with Huawei kit ......... I'm sure someone could expose that - if it exists.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:57 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it's not unlike Euroscepticism. Plenty of it out there, yet nobody can illustrate why all the fuss without resorting to misinformation, disinformation, gross exaggeration and hyperbole.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is only 1 upcoming copy of Huawei as far as I know, they even have their own Uni.and 70K+ employees. This is not your Nike or Valentino jeans sweatshop etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.