Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

WTF Murders/Killings in the US

WTF Murders/Killings in the US

Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF Murders/Killings in the US

We just have a baseball bat with a few nails.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Phew...thank god I lived in a low crime state.
It's ****ing mental.

My OH was counselled by an officer of the law in Oregon to keep a "throw down" gun at home. That way, the theory was, my OH could shoot anyone he didn't like the look of and then "throw down" the other gun (an untraceable gun) next to the dead person so that he could claim the guy was going to shoot him.

He didn't do it...

Fear and guns don't mix at all.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Nov 6th 2017 at 10:40 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:38 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
We just have a baseball bat with a few nails.
My father once thought there was a burglar in the house. He grabbed a small golf club and went to have a look (My father was in WWII, btw, all six years, and never wanted to see a gun again.)
Old Nov 6th 2017, 11:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

Fear and guns don't mix at all.
No, they don't. My ex-husband had a .22 rifle, this was in the days when it was relatively easy to get a gun licence in Australia. All you needed was a letter from a farmer stating that they'd given you permission to shoot kangaroos on his/her land.

When we went on a driving holiday around Australia, he took his rifle and kept it on a ledge above the bed in the caravan. We were asleep one night in the Nullarbor desert when our caravan door started rattling. Our bed was directly in front of the door - my ex reached up, grabbed his rifle and fired a shot through the door. It was the wind...

There are many reasons why I made him my ex, but that one's as good as any.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 11:34 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Why does this thread keep on making me think of oscar pistorius
Old Nov 6th 2017, 11:51 pm
Unedicated dropout

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
I guess this could also go in wtf america :-)

Friends in texas put up signs - usually a toy gun and ‘we dont call 911’ to let burglars know the homeowner will kill any intruder.
'Posted' signs serve the same purpose throughout a lot of the South.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
Me too, part of the year. Are ireland any good now? Or is it like wales, where the people who couldnt get into real teams congregate :-) [Its true about wales, but which ireland is this?]

Just for the others : all weapons must be carried concealed unlike the us
Personal defense pistols are legally owned but rarely in the uk, if you have a reason, i cant discuss further but im sure the relevant info is google-able somewhere.

Offensive weapons has no meaning in this context, they arent if they are legally owned and used legitimately, as a chef uses a knife.

Any calibre of single shot guns of any length are allowed, i have a friend who does long distance pistol with a 300 win mag pistol, just not magazine fed or revolver fullbore pistols [not where i winter...].

Legally in the uk if you are safe with a firearm, you can have 100, IF you have sufficient security AND a reason, but collecting, dealing, hunting abroad are all legitimate reasons, im not sure how a friend justified a beautifully african scene engraved holland and holland 500 nitro express elephant double rifle [very light, shotgun like, a mere £2k, imagine the price if it was a 12 bore] but there arent many elephants left in surrey and its on his ticket. I will say that if you fire it prone on the zero range at Bisley, your elbows leave the ground and the world stops rotating beneath you.

A dealer ticket is the way to go for collectors or amateur dealers, obtainable if you have the stsnding, sponsorship etc, plus aforesaid security, then you dont have to go through hoops to buy/sell so long as you maintain records and report info as required.

The police do occasionally check and personally i welcome it.

There is no requirement to use a range to keep guns, actually i know CPO’s have mixed views, as it can make a club a target for theft, safer to have the guns in smaller nos in different places, so long as we have the required cabinets etc.

However how many legal guns are used in crime? We know dont we. Shotguns are more of an issue in that regard imho.
It was the Republic over 25 years ago - and no, too few people, too few clubs - and then the money ran out I think it's even worse now as focus seems to be on air-rifle, shotgun and "sport rifle" (because they're cheaper to run....)

Your remarks are true(-ish), but hardly typical. I suggest you have a word with your local boys in blue when you're back, because even a legally-held gun can be classed as an offensive weapon if there is no justification for its presence (e.g. you "just happen" to have it in the car) - the offence is a cover-all, the definition being "any article made or adapted for use to causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use". Obviously, if the weapon is not held legally, it is automatically a firearms offence and there are (supposedly) mandatory sentences for that.

I agree that there are ways around the restrictions - but that's largely a measure of the very small number of people involved - for now, it's still largely down to the local chief constable.... but if the number increased, so would the scrutiny. The technicalities don't really matter for this forum - just enough to point out that nobody can legally own a firearm or ammunition without a certificate, which requires justification, that even semi-auto weapons are hen's teeth and "personal defence" weapons even moreso. So there is little comparison to the situation elsewhere.

I agree with you about shotguns - they're more available and require less skill (particularly when illegally sawn off) - but even then, there are hardly any >3 round shotguns in circulation in the UK......
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:31 am
Unedicated dropout

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I agree with you about shotguns - they're more available and require less skill (particularly when illegally sawn off) - but even then, there are hardly any >3 round shotguns in circulation in the UK......
I remember 'bothering' the local wildlife on a mate's farm with a five round pump action when I was in my teens, licensing laws changed by the time I was twenty and the owner (a lad younger than me!) was wary of using it more often than he had to. For me it then meant using a really old double bore that no-one else on the farm would use because they were too afraid that it might blow itself apart.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:13 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
No, they don't. My ex-husband had a .22 rifle, this was in the days when it was relatively easy to get a gun licence in Australia. All you needed was a letter from a farmer stating that they'd given you permission to shoot kangaroos on his/her land.

When we went on a driving holiday around Australia, he took his rifle and kept it on a ledge above the bed in the caravan. We were asleep one night in the Nullarbor desert when our caravan door started rattling. Our bed was directly in front of the door - my ex reached up, grabbed his rifle and fired a shot through the door. It was the wind...

There are many reasons why I made him my ex, but that one's as good as any.
Wow. Good job you dumped him. A .22 against a kangaroo? The might be apt to just piss it off. Be better off with some cymbals.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I like the sign that was posted in my sister's neighbourhood in Florida after the big hurricane caused lot of damage to homes
'You loot, we shoot"
Old Nov 7th 2017, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
They are called burglaries, "home invasions" notwithstanding. It is not normal to kill them, nor for them to kill you, nor for the feeling to be that one must armed at all times "just in case". I have lived in urban gang areas and everywhere else, and never had either the need nor the desire to carry a gun.
I don't "carry" a gun. I keep it in a place in the house where it could be accessed and loaded quickly. It's a Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum 7 shot guaranteed to stop any intruder/ invader in his tracks

The other gun is a pop gun a .22 caliber which I use for shooting empty beer cans in the woods up in the mountains

I've never been burgled myself and they're rare but it's an upscale neighborhood and a target for burglars. Two or three years ago when Governor Brown decided to let a lot of short timers out of prison due to overcrowding we were warned by the police that our neighbourhood could be a target for burglars but it didn't happen. On two occasions a couple of houses were burgled by a group of about 8 gang bangers from Compton, Los Angeles. They were identified as member of the Crips. If you don't think they would either attack you or even worse if you caught them in your home then you don't know much about the Crips.

Last edited by dc koop; Nov 7th 2017 at 6:24 am.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
I don't "carry" a gun. I keep it in a place in the house where it could be accessed and loaded quickly. It's a Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum 7 shot guaranteed to stop any intruder/ invader in his tracks

The other gun is a pop gun a .22 caliber which I use for shooting empty beer cans in the woods up in the mountains

I've never been burgled myself and they're rare but it's an upscale neighborhood and a target for burglars. Two or three years ago when Governor Brown decided to let a lot of short timers out of prison due to overcrowding we were warned by the police that our neighbourhood could be a target for burglars but it didn't happen. On two occasions a couple of houses were burgled by a group of about 8 gang bangers from Compton, Los Angeles. They were identified as member of the Crips. If you don't think they would either attack you or even worse if you caught them in your home then you don't know much about the Crips.
There were 8 intruders and you only have 7 shots. Is that a problem?
Old Nov 7th 2017, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
There were 8 intruders and you only have 7 shots. Is that a problem?
There's Max the German Shepherd.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 8:39 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

In the uk you can legally hunt at the age of 14, and carrying a shotgun on private land is legal at 14 but not in public. So a friend and 1 had been massacring the local vermin (rabbits and pidgeon) and were walking back down a country lane, 2 shotguns over the shoulder when we spotted a police car comig our way. We dropped the guns in a hedge and loitered. A window was lowered and a voice in aberkshire accent said ‘you lads aughtnt to be doing that, thems valuable guns’, and he drove off...
Old Nov 7th 2017, 8:59 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The US military failed to register the details of the latest killers record on the national database that gun sellers are supposed to use to check before selling any fire arms.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.