Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

WTF Murders/Killings in the US

WTF Murders/Killings in the US

Old Aug 10th 2019, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF Murders/Killings in the US

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
The subject posted about was a warning to tourists and tourists visit touristy things which have become targets for rampant gun violence.

The tourist is much less likely to get caught up in the run of the mill gun violence than they are at touristy events like festivals and concerts. It makes sense to warn tourists who may be less aware of this.
The El Paso shooter has said he was targeting people of a specific non-US nationality.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Also, for many years tourists have been warned about car jacking where hire cars were more likely to be targeted. It was a relevant and targeted warning like the AI one.
Exactly. A friend of mine was car-jacked at gunpoint near St Louis Airport whilst filling her rental car up with gas to return it. Turns out that airport location has seen a bunch of such car-jackings. I also recall a similar spate of incidents near Miami Airport that led to a specific travel warning by many countries.

Old Aug 10th 2019, 12:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Anecdotes...
Official findings of the investigation.
Also...USA Today
"Depending on the traveler's gender identity, race, country of origin, ethnic background, or sexual orientation, they may be at higher risk of being targeted with gun violence, and should plan accordingly," the advisory adds.
Further down in other parts about other countries also issuing warnings:
...hate crimes fueled by “racism and discrimination that cost the lives of more than 250 people in the first seven months of this year.”

Old Aug 10th 2019, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
Interesting because everyone is quoting 250 incidents this year. IIRC most are either drug related or domestic violence.

AR pistol - it's a short barrel rifle with a "stabilizer" instead of a regular stock. Politicians only want to tackle easy stuff, they don't actually want to tackle real problems - it's far too much work.
A SBR is a rifle with a barrel under 16 inches, it is a Title 2 category, I have never come across anybody who has one, you can certainly buy them but to go through that process you would really really want to do it.

https://info.stagarms.com/blog/bid/3...w-do-I-Get-One
Old Aug 10th 2019, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
I'm glad you agree that mass knife attacks are not something that should be the focus; mass shootings are.
A moot point in how it is done, dead is dead. I suppose torture might add to it.

I really should not do it but was watching CNN and they were going on about how it should be a Hate Crime or Terrorism etc and not have such charges some how was not right, all I could thing of was that they killed all these people and are facing the death penalty, what does it matter? How can you have a crime that is one up on the Death Penalty, bit like when they sentence people to multiple life sentences, how many life sentences can somebody serve? How can you murder somebody and it is not hateful?
Old Aug 10th 2019, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

This source seems to be pretty solid on gun incidents, I realise the thread is more inclusive.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
A SBR is a rifle with a barrel under 16 inches, it is a Title 2 category, I have never come across anybody who has one, you can certainly buy them but to go through that process you would really really want to do it.

https://info.stagarms.com/blog/bid/3...w-do-I-Get-One
no, this one: https://www.npr.org/2019/08/08/74866...n-shooters-gun

Old Aug 10th 2019, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
The article says it is a pistol.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

The article says it is a pistol.
Because its "stock" is not meant to be brought into the shoulder. You can get arrested for it. But that's how you can own an "SBR" without a tax stamp.

The law is that stupid.

ETA: https://www.quora.com/What%E2%80%99s...an-AR15-pistol

"brace" not a stabilizer.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Aug 10th 2019 at 4:26 am.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 1:57 pm
Unedicated dropout

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

A moot point in how it is done, dead is dead. I suppose torture might add to it.

I really should not do it but was watching CNN and they were going on about how it should be a Hate Crime or Terrorism etc and not have such charges some how was not right, all I could thing of was that they killed all these people and are facing the death penalty, what does it matter? How can you have a crime that is one up on the Death Penalty, bit like when they sentence people to multiple life sentences, how many life sentences can somebody serve? How can you murder somebody and it is not hateful?
Agreed.
As Iit is, I disagree with labelling lone wolf actions as terorism, sure if they are involved in multiple events or part of a group that carries out those type of things. The intention might be to create terror within a community but that threat goes away as soon as a lone wolf is terminated/incarcerated.
Obviously that situation changes if the perp is found to be part of some internet cell group but just having others egging them on is no different than back in the day when American had rosy thoughts about the IRA.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Should the 'suicide' of mr Epstein be in this thread? It's certainly solved a lot of problems for a lot of 'important' people, including the President and a member of the British Royal family.

Hadn't seen the 'Epstein' thread before I posted this, so, as you were..

Last edited by mikelincs; Aug 11th 2019 at 8:39 am.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was told today the technical term is Arkancide.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 11:33 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously it's good that all these were stopped, but really, wtf?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49431699
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 1:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Obviously it's good that all these were stopped, but really, wtf?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49431699
I was in a really shit mood today and wanted everyone to just piss off and die. However it was a grumble in my head with zero thought or emotion involved. The idea that psychopaths can easily and legally get access to this crap in order to 'solve' a shit mood is mind blowing.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 1:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I was in a really shit mood today and wanted everyone to just piss off and die. However it was a grumble in my head with zero thought or emotion involved. The idea that psychopaths can easily and legally get access to this crap in order to 'solve' a shit mood is mind blowing.
And on top of that, that killing a load of people is regularly considered to be a way of "solving" a shit mood. It's easy to say it's psychopaths, and in the scientific sense they probably are - but why, and how, in the US above all other places?
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a welcome change for the better

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-s...ppens-seattle/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.