Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

WTF Murders/Killings in the US

WTF Murders/Killings in the US

Old Jun 4th 2019, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF Murders/Killings in the US

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Based on your profile, you appear to have lived only in the UK and Portugal (?), so your post is a text book case of why people outside the US should be careful about wading into discussions about gun control in the US, because they don't know the issues and the laws in the US.
Wrong - I'm Irish, I have lived and worked in the UK for a considerable time and I also have a house in Portuguese countryside... where wild boar are common - but I have also lived in Spain, the Middle east, the Maghreb and other European countries.... so perhaps assumptions based on profiles aren't such a good idea, eh? My father was also ex-military and a hunter and I was brought up in a house where guns were part of daily life - so I'm not quite what you might have in mind when you again try to demean my comments.

In Portugal, gun law is a little less restrictive than in the UK, but you still need to be a member of an organized hunt or have specific permission to buy or use a large calibre weapon, regardless of the wild boar, the same applies to Spain, where wolves, bears and boar exist....... and, oddly, don't seem to massacre a population deprived of firearms. Specialized guns and ammunition are even available in the UK where there is a proven need, but they are not sold across the counter to anyone who wants them or available by mail-order - that's why it's called "control".

As I've said, to change you need to start a conversation..... but it seems there are plenty of folks happy to make sure that doesn't happen.

PS, I agree with you about shotguns, they are generally far more lethal than other weapons in "normal" circumstances - and if you've seen the effect a cut or wax-filled cartridge can have at far greater range then you will appreciate that they too need to be controlled (as they are in the UK).

Last edited by macliam; Jun 4th 2019 at 9:31 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Not really, because in Britain people don't display their knives on their belts, don't walk in to bars openly with their knives. It's only criminals who have them. People by and large don't have knives on them when they go to the pub, get drunk, and pull knives on each other. People avoid having knives on them at such times, because, as I knew as a youth, I might have had a slap on the wrist for under age drinking, I would have had a real issue if the police found a knife on me down town. And I am only talking about stashing a Stanley box cutter.
My sympathies for any shipping and receiving clerk who walked into a pub for lunch and forgot to remove his holstered box cutter from his belt. SWAT swarming all over the joint.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 9:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I don't think that "resolved any issues", it just created a load.

Maybe that's what KIS meant, but I thought that the guy who went postal just wanted to kill a load of people/ colleagues, because from what I read, few, if any, of the people he killed had anything to do with whatever issues he thought he had.
Ok, so that guy just wanted to kill a bunch of people in his former work place, and he just happened to have a .45 and a bunch of extended magazines so he just went there and killed them all. But that one doesn't count. I guess I've just lost track of what this thread is all about then.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
You are missing the culture point.

I said to start stepping it back that way, since we can't just disarm the population (much as that would be an otherwise sensible idea, it' s not possible). Nobody could create an argument that such weapons are "needed". One has to start somewhere, and that seems like a reasonable place.
So getting back to where most of the firearm murders occur.... namely the gang ridden inner city neighbourhoods you would think it a sensible idea to pass legislation to disarm people in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana where people own guns for hunting or sport.... not to kill each other?
Old Jun 4th 2019, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
Wait, I can buy a gun that bypasses scanners? Nope, I can't because there is no such thing. That's a misconception from watching too much Die Hard.

Also, the biggest problem isn't assault weapons. Why bother.
Another smart comment? I said "designed to bypass scanners" ....... because polymer pistols can and do bypass standard scanners, although they can be detected and are less likely to get past modern equipment in airports. However, the scanners also rely on their operators and guns have been walked pat them in the past - so the less detectable they are, the more likely they are to be overlooked.... and that ain't "Die Hard". It's a shame people don't spend as much time thinking how the 150+ mass shootings a year could be prevented as they do picking holes in any argument for control....
Old Jun 4th 2019, 9:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
So getting back to where most of the firearm murders occur.... namely the gang ridden inner city neighbourhoods you would think it a sensible idea to pass legislation to disarm people in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana where people own guns for hunting or sport.... not to kill each other?
What part of "national" is unclear?
Old Jun 4th 2019, 9:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
It's a shame people don't spend as much time thinking how the 150+ mass shootings a year could be prevented as they do picking holes in any argument for control....
It's a shame there's been more than that many in the first 5 months of the year. That link of Rich's is great, because you can see what happened, where, and who the victims are. Nobody killed in the 4+ victims category since Virginia Beach, but that's probably not for lack of trying.
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/r.../mass-shooting

Old Jun 4th 2019, 10:09 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

My sympathies for any shipping and receiving clerk who walked into a pub for lunch and forgot to remove his holstered box cutter from his belt. SWAT swarming all over the joint.
Congratulations on taking out all variables that might have an impact and replacing then with completely different irrelevant variables. Disengeious I think is the word.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Another smart comment? I said "designed to bypass scanners" ....... because polymer pistols can and do bypass standard scanners, although they can be detected and are less likely to get past modern equipment in airports. However, the scanners also rely on their operators and guns have been walked pat them in the past - so the less detectable they are, the more likely they are to be overlooked.... and that ain't "Die Hard". It's a shame people don't spend as much time thinking how the 150+ mass shootings a year could be prevented as they do picking holes in any argument for control....

lmao, how wrong can you be? Polymer pistols were NOT designed to get past scanners. It's a myth. I have a polymer pistol, it has a giant metal slide on it. And do you think the gun designers didn't think of the 15 rounds of metal cased ammunition, in a magazine, that would make a metal detector sing like Adele?

Then there's the internals of the gun that are still mostly metals.

My argument is based in fact. A tiny fraction of a fraction of gun crime is committed with what you call an assault weapon. It's the ultimate bogeyman.

The biggest problem the US has with guns is the idiots that buy a pistol and then leave it loaded in a bedside table. Not assault weapons. You only need look at the crime stats to know that.

Old Jun 5th 2019, 12:56 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Murders don't form the majority of gun deaths. You are missing out most of the deaths from your calculations
Old Jun 5th 2019, 1:50 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
It's a shame there's been more than that many in the first 5 months of the year. That link of Rich's is great, because you can see what happened, where, and who the victims are. Nobody killed in the 4+ victims category since Virginia Beach, but that's probably not for lack of trying.
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/r.../mass-shooting
Thanks for the nod, but that link was in the BBC report that Lion in Winter posted before me!
Old Jun 5th 2019, 2:49 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
Thanks for the nod, but that link was in the BBC report that Lion in Winter posted before me!
This post made me smile.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 3:43 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
This post made me smile.
We're all friends here No need to worry about who posted what when. We all develop each other's points anyway.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 4:12 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
We're all friends here No need to worry about who posted what when. We all develop each other's points anyway.
it is a good link. I don't want credit for it. I don't suppose liw does. BBC can have it. But its no smiling matter leslie:

edit 156 midnight june 4

Last edited by RICH; Jun 5th 2019 at 5:15 am.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 1:03 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

We can argue back and forth where the most murders occur, how and why they happen what weapons are used, yep we can discuss, argue and fight over it .

It seems like violent crime is normal. Like it is expected to happen now. We shouldn't have to be having this discussion. It shouldn't be happening day in and day out.

This is wrong. So very wrong and it hurts to hear it.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.