Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:18 am
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,936
Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Good morning every one.

First of all the headline of the thread is not something that I said. You will find it in this link

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5875108.ece

There has been a lot of talk about Rape in the following link as well of this board:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595782

Some people think that women are partly/fully responsible for being raped check the following:

1) A poll has found one third of people think a woman is at least partly to blame for being raped if she is flirtatious, and a quarter if she is drunk or wears revealing clothing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4458122.stm


2) A third of Britons believe a woman who acts flirtatiously is partially or completely to blame for being raped, according to a new study.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ame-raped.html

3) Students say flirty women bear blame if they’re raped

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-13987827.html

Conclusion of the above:

There are people in the western world who not only think that women who wear revealing clothes can be fully or partly responsible but few of them think that violence against them is acceptable to some limit.

It is so obvious also that they are not the majority (34% in UK and 46% in Ireland). However, they are not a small percentage either (this percentage dose not include people who think violence against women is accepted)

Some people may consider them stupid just because they don’t like what they say and I can’t see where such attitude will take them. They have their own point of view that is different from your’s and they may call your point of view stupid as well, because they disagree with it and that’s how we go into an endless loop.


Some people driven from liberalism (in my opinion) think that a woman can wear whatever she likes and men should be controlling themselves. Some others who think that they are descended from animals want to act like animals and take off most of the clothes they wear.

On the other hand,

Some people driven from religiousness (in my point of view) believe that decency is a must for women and some others think that women should have consideration to Men’s normal instincts and shouldn’t act in a way that ignites those instincts.


So what is the reality about it?
Are revealing cloths partly/fully responsible for rapes to happen?
If yes, are revealing clothes the only reason for rape to happen?
If No, what are the other reasons?

Shall we first of all take a look at the statistics of rape in UK for example?

1 in 4 women suffer rape or attempted rape (Rape Crisis)
A minimum of 80,000 women annually suffer rape and attempted rape yet only 1 in 8 women report rape (Walby and Allen, Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Stalking: Findings from the British Crime Survey, 2004).
http://www.thewnc.org.uk/work-of-the...-violence.html

(Note that I am using this site for the statistics nothing more)

I am sure that so many other sites can provide alot of other statistics and you can google them.


Gary Monro’s blog
I found some words that I really liked and here are his words and the link:

For the record, I believe if a girl dresses revealingly - that is, sexually - and drinks herself silly then she inevitably becomes much more vulnerable to those men who would prey on women in her state. One of the reasons I would want my own daughter not to behave that way is simply for her own safety.
Does this mean she deserves to be assaulted? No, not one little bit. Does this mean I think the man who rapes a girl in these circumstances is less of a rapist? Not at all. He is 100% a rapist and 100% guilty of rape - and should be imprisoned accordingly. But only a fool believes that if a woman dresses alluringly and behaves provocatively that no man will be allured and provoked. And a couple will act on that provocation regardless of the damge done to the girl. This is life and life isn’t politically correct. To deny that a woman can increase the chances of making herself a target of men who prey on women is mindless - and it’s a betrayal of responsibility.

http://garymonro.blogsome.com/2005/1...lity-and-rape/

You may also find this one interesting:
http://iamnovip.blogspot.com/2005/12...nalytical.html

To me it is more than just revealing clothes. Some rapist can do this crime even to some women in unrevealing clothes. There are other things like alcohol and drugs. We can’t forget over here that there are some men who are mentally sick as well (but I assume that they are few). We have to consider that even the Intermingling between men and women can lead to rape (sometimes) if not adultery or cheating on the other half/partner.

So I summarize everything in the following points:
The mixture of men and women at (schools, night clubs, work, homes where the victim can appear to be alone at a moment with a potential rapist).
The revealing clothes a woman is wearing that can turn the man on.
The fact that alcohol can be a reason for both men and women to lose control over their actions.

Violence against women is increasing and unless societies re-evaluate how they are living their lives it will not stop.

please think that people change with time. the new generation is not having the same way of thinking of the generation of their parents.
Beard Man is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:21 am
  #2  
Remainer
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
Posts: 18,142
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Originally Posted by Beard Man View Post
There are people in the western world who not only think that women who wear revealing clothes can be fully or partly responsible but few of them think that violence against them is acceptable to some limit.

It is so obvious also that they are not the majority (34% in UK and 46% in Ireland). However, they are not a small percentage either (this percentage dose not include people who think violence against women is accepted)

Some people may consider them stupid just because they don’t like what they say and I can’t see where such attitude will take them. They have their own point of view that is different from your’s and they may call your point of view stupid as well, because they disagree with it and that’s how we go into an endless loop.


Some people driven from liberalism (in my opinion) think that a woman can wear whatever she likes and men should be controlling themselves. Some others who think that they are descended from animals want to act like animals and take off most of the clothes they wear.

On the other hand,

Some people driven from religiousness (in my point of view) believe that decency is a must for women and some others think that women should have consideration to Men’s normal instincts and shouldn’t act in a way that ignites those instincts.


So what is the reality about it?
Are revealing cloths partly/fully responsible for rapes to happen?
If yes, are revealing clothes the only reason for rape to happen?
If No, what are the other reasons?
A woman should never be hit except in self-defence. I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't stand there and let anyone hit me with defending myself, no matter who they are. Hitting them for wearing sexy clothing is just stupid, and should we start hitting guys for wearing facial hair or are over 6ft tall. The survey doesn't say who actually paid for it, but I guess it wasn't a women's rights group.

Violence against anyone is unacceptable unless defending oneself from attack.

If a woman's dress is the reason she's raped, then why aren't nudist or regular beaches prime targets for rapists. I believe dressing modestly is an asset because I like to leave something to the imagination.

Alcohol seems to be a much more relevant factor in a number of rapes as it causes the rapist to loosen their inhibitions and the victim to loosen awareness of their common sense, leaving them open to more possibility of attack.

Yes, a woman should be able to wear what she likes without getting raped, but they still have a responsibility to themselves to be aware of their surroundings and to ensure their own safety. I can appreciate that these may be difficult when it's hard to tell who to trust, but it's better to safe than become a victim.

A few basic suggestions for women.
Stay together with a group.
Carry an attack alarm and know how to use it.
Don't wear high heels as you'll be able to run faster in flat shoes.
If you feel someone's following you, knock on the nearest door and ask for help.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Mar 12th 2009 at 7:31 am.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:35 am
  #3  
MODERATOR
 
Norm_uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 6,271
Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Fact is most rapes take place when a woman is dressed normally by the standards of her culture and most tend to be by people she already knows.

As for banning men and women from mixing. This is like banning cars because a minority of people will crash them. And it would probably increase the chance of men raping men and women raping women (which does happen as well).

I think the issue is not so clear cut at all.

The only part of the article I like is "A similar number believed that it was all right for a man to slap his wife or girlfriend if she is “nagging or constantly moaning at him”" - wonderful! haha.

If Alcohol's a major problem better to have everyone smoke Cannabis...everyone will be relaxed and passive. I've never seen anyone smoke weed and go looking for a fight (they tend to go looking for food and more weed haha)

N.
Norm_uk is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:08 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fionamw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: near Colmenar, Prov de Malaga
Posts: 5,174
fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

I find the way Beardy has presented himself and his post extremely provocative and am feeling very excited about the prospect of attacking him and showing him how much he deserves what is coming to him.
However.........I am a thinking, rational, member of a civilised society and therefore know that whatever he says or however he presents himself he does not 'deserve' any attack of this nature.
fionamw is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:33 pm
  #5  
Diamond Geezer
 
Ridski's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,488
Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Originally Posted by fionamw View Post
I find the way Beardy has presented himself and his post extremely provocative and am feeling very excited about the prospect of attacking him and showing him how much he deserves what is coming to him.
However.........I am a thinking, rational, member of a civilised society and therefore know that whatever he says or however he presents himself he does not 'deserve' any attack of this nature.
Yeah... The entire premise is so full of holes, and Beard Man works so hard to be civil that it's hard to rip into this one.

Let's put it this way. This was based on a study of 1,065 people, in a nation of 70 million, and not everyone is going to answer seriously, depending on how the questions are worded.

So, to quote Beard Man: "So what is the reality about it?
Are revealing cloths partly/fully responsible for rapes to happen?
If yes, are revealing clothes the only reason for rape to happen?
If No, what are the other reasons?"

The answer to question one is no. In what you would call a western liberal society, it is not the duty of a woman to stop a man from sexually attacking her. It is the duty of a man, however, to grow up, not act like a 13 year old and be a gentleman. The spirit of a gentleman is summed up by the manner in which they treat women, no matter whether they are acting demure or otherwise. A naked drunk woman is not a sexual opportunity, it is someone who needs to be clothed and helped home. If a man cannot control himself in front of a woman, no matter how she is dressed, then he is not a man. It is not about control, it is about respect. You respect that a woman is a human being and you treat her as you would wish to be treated, and if you would prefer not to get beaten for your dress sense, or raped in your sleep, then you must treat everyone else the same way.
Ridski is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:35 pm
  #6  
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 24,043
Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Originally Posted by fionamw View Post
I find the way Beardy has presented himself and his post extremely provocative and am feeling very excited about the prospect of attacking him and showing him how much he deserves what is coming to him.
However.........I am a thinking, rational, member of a civilised society and therefore know that whatever he says or however he presents himself he does not 'deserve' any attack of this nature.
He's banned anyway love....so save yer breath
Cleri is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:42 pm
  #7  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Longest post I have ever seen - is it possible to fill an entire page with one post I wonder ??
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:43 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fionamw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: near Colmenar, Prov de Malaga
Posts: 5,174
fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Originally Posted by Cleri View Post
He's banned anyway love....so save yer breath

B****x.... missed it! When? The other thread? How do you know? I've always wondered how people find out someone's banned!
fionamw is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:47 pm
  #9  
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 24,043
Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Originally Posted by fionamw View Post
B****x.... missed it! When? The other thread? How do you know? I've always wondered how people find out someone's banned!
His karma box has gone..
Cleri is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:01 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fionamw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: near Colmenar, Prov de Malaga
Posts: 5,174
fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Originally Posted by Cleri View Post
His karma box has gone..

Ah. distant sound of penny dropping.... thanks!
fionamw is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:05 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: HMP Strangeways
Posts: 5,206
Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Originally Posted by Cleri View Post
His karma box has gone..
That, can be damned painful I'll have you know !
Dogbyte is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:11 pm
  #12  
The Unmod
 
paddingtongreen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Glen Mills, PA
Posts: 8,870
paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

I wonder why he's banned, he had nearly 2,000 posts. I like a good wind up artist.
paddingtongreen is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:25 pm
  #13  
Remainer
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
Posts: 18,142
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen View Post
I wonder why he's banned, he had nearly 2,000 posts. I like a good wind up artist.
He seems a bit of a master baiter. Maybe someone took offence at his baiting.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:46 am
  #14  
Deb
 
Deb's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,754
Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
He seems a bit of a master baiter. Maybe someone took offence at his baiting.


I wasn't sure whether he was posting for a reaction or he genuinely believes the crap he spouts & posts?? ..
Deb is offline  
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:17 am
  #15  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women should be hit for wearing sexy clothing in public

Now that is wrong ... I may not agree with one word he ever said
and of course he spouts his religion all the time.... But he is very rarely rude to anyone intentionally, certainly never to me ..and we have had words ..

I just saw a guy who was interested in the West... English was not his main language..and he was met with apalling odds ... against him.. but his devout religion made all his decisions
but he got thru 2000 post ..good luck BM
Ray is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.