Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Sep 13th 2020, 6:21 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Housing is a big one that seems previous generations had more access to without having to be in the top earner category. Where we live need to have at least 102,000/yr income to buy a house at current prices, Vancouver is even worse, its like 150,000 needed there, household median income in Vancouver is around 80k, where we are now is around 68,000 median household income.

And people may wonder why I see no future.

I would honestly if I had a time machine, would trade the modern technology of today, and trade places with my dad or even my grandparents, my grandparents while born in the great depression clearly had a better life, they had 5 kids, one income, owned a house, had 2 cars, and not only owned a house, but a house in a good area, and my grandfather never went to college.

I wouldn't mind having a pension in retirement like my dad, I'll get the very basic the Canadian government provides if I live long enough. You can claim a reduced amount at 60, standard is 65, but if you wait until 70 you get a larger amount, but there is no benefit to waiting more than 70. My dad retired at like 58

Assuming CPP is still around in 29 years, holy man I will be 70 in less than 30 years, man I feel old now.

Oh well it is what it is I guess.
It is what it is mate, we have to rise and grind and get on with it. We'll have different opportunities as part of changing times, we have the opportunity to fix things and progress.

We can be frustrated that we don't have some things as easy - i'm sure we probably have other things easier, but the material importance of bricks and mortar and how much harder it is today, whilst being battered with the notion you MUST own property and quickly just gripes.

Anyway - you're right on the pension issue...we'll be working until we're 80 if we can stay stood up
Old Sep 13th 2020, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

having to shock the pool again for the third time this year,Never been like that before unless we have dirty rain which happens.plus today is nightmare sunday yes you've guessed it football,cricket and grand prix all on at same time,putting new batteries in the remote ready for action this afternoon.
Old Sep 13th 2020, 12:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
...I'd love a cushy job for life, 1500 quid houses, a final salary pension
Who are these people you are describing? I have to ask because these descriptions were wrongly applied to me in my time at DSS/DWP and they were bunkum.

I certainly got lucky buying my 2 bed Victorian terraced house before the booms. It was in the 2nd cheapest part of Bristol but despite that and a 15% deposit my salary was so low that only the maximum borrowing amount got me the mortgage. And the luck that my brother's mate was selling and he got a quick deal, without which I couldn't have done it. When the interest rates went up I was buggered by the repayments and had to use my credit card for food.
And I was one of the lucky ones.

We were always told that low pay was compensated for by a safe job. Well what happens in a final salary pension scheme when you have a low salary? You get a flippin low pension, that's what. Gold plated my arse.

I put 32 years in and my "inflation proofed" pension is the princely sum of £517.30 a month.
Old Sep 13th 2020, 12:43 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Who are these people you are describing? I have to ask because these descriptions were wrongly applied to me in my time at DSS/DWP and they were bunkum.

I certainly got lucky buying my 2 bed Victorian terraced house before the booms. It was in the 2nd cheapest part of Bristol but despite that and a 15% deposit my salary was so low that only the maximum borrowing amount got me the mortgage. And the luck that my brother's mate was selling and he got a quick deal, without which I couldn't have done it. When the interest rates went up I was buggered by the repayments and had to use my credit card for food.

We were always told that low pay was compensated for by a safe job. Well what happens in a final salary pension scheme when you have a low salary? You get a flippin low pension, that's what. Gold plated my arse.

I put 32 years in and my "inflation proofed" pension is the princely sum of £517.30 a month.
Well, I'm sort of talking about you then, aren't I?
You 'got lucky' with property and had over 30 years with one employer, getting a final salary pension.

Look at this (sorry it's massive);

Old Sep 13th 2020, 12:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm sort of talking about you then, aren't I?
Yep, that's what I thought.
You 'got lucky' with property and had over 30 years with one employer, getting a final salary pension.
But that's the point I was making. I bought just about the cheapest house around that I could not have bought but for the family connection. I was lucky to have managed to not only be able to afford a slum.
I couldn't afford the repayments on a "cheap" mortgage in the early years because I had a cheap salary. Others couldn't even get the mortgages.
I was lucky only in terms of timing, rather than the times. You need to be aware that at that point, I was one of the less badly paid so for the majority of the others it was worse.

And getting a final salary pension is only good if your salary is good.
Old Sep 13th 2020, 1:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway - you're right on the pension issue...we'll be working until we're 80 if we can stay stood up
If you live to 80, I hope the last thing you see is the look of concern on my face. I'm 66 and don't have a company pension, so as soon as I can no longer work (I'm on 3/4 time) I'll have to live on my Canada Pension and Old Age Pension. I was set to go on disability years ago due to chronic pain from arthritis and injuries/surgeries and changed my mind ("I can take pain killers for that"). I'd attended the annual picnic of the Trail Brain Injury Association and met people facing some real challenges and re-evaluated my situation. Some days are better than others, but at least I don't feel like I'm underwater. If I didn't work in the non-profit arts sector, my job probably would have been toast when I turned 65, so I'm lucky. When I really can't keep up anymore, the best I can hope for is to stay on half-time or even less. Lots of people are worse off than me.
Old Sep 13th 2020, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

My local ski slope gives a discount on the price of a lift pass for over-65s. I can't wait until I am 80, as I will then qualify for the completely free ski lift pass on offer to those aged 80+.

Old Sep 13th 2020, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Some pensions in the US and presumably Canada are gold plated, it's one reason many state governments in the US are in trouble with pensions, they are a little too good....

My dads pension is what could be described as gold plated. Sure it's less than he got working, but 63,000 a year for being retired ain't bad.

I can't even make 63k a year working at a full-time job. But I guess since its 63k US$ it would need to be 83K in CAD$ to be about equal.

But then in BC the household median is only $84,850 per year, and that is usually more than 1 person working.

Average hourly wage in BC is $28, but I've never made more than $20/hr but was working 36 hours per week, so pre-tax only like $720 week as my highest ever income, which was about $530 per week after taxes, EI, parking, and extended health was deducted.

$530 per week income and rent came to $437 per week and the city considered the place affordable below market rental.

Lowest income I ever had was $510 per month, of which $450 went towards rent, that was a room inside a rooming house.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 13th 2020 at 5:32 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 5:40 am
WWLLCJD?

Yep, that's what I thought.

But that's the point I was making. I bought just about the cheapest house around that I could not have bought but for the family connection. I was lucky to have managed to not only be able to afford a slum.
I couldn't afford the repayments on a "cheap" mortgage in the early years because I had a cheap salary. Others couldn't even get the mortgages.
I was lucky only in terms of timing, rather than the times. You need to be aware that at that point, I was one of the less badly paid so for the majority of the others it was worse.

And getting a final salary pension is only good if your salary is good.
Obviously I wasn't thinking of you personally, but you made yourself fit the bill pretty well
I'll never know, Final Salary Pensions don't really exist anymore.

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
If you live to 80, I hope the last thing you see is the look of concern on my face. I'm 66 and don't have a company pension, so as soon as I can no longer work (I'm on 3/4 time) I'll have to live on my Canada Pension and Old Age Pension. I was set to go on disability years ago due to chronic pain from arthritis and injuries/surgeries and changed my mind ("I can take pain killers for that"). I'd attended the annual picnic of the Trail Brain Injury Association and met people facing some real challenges and re-evaluated my situation. Some days are better than others, but at least I don't feel like I'm underwater. If I didn't work in the non-profit arts sector, my job probably would have been toast when I turned 65, so I'm lucky. When I really can't keep up anymore, the best I can hope for is to stay on half-time or even less. Lots of people are worse off than me.
If I live until I'm 80, you'll probably be long gone I'm afraid. It's another 48 years away still. Christ. I'm not sure I even want to live that long if the world continues to develop the way it has recently.
I hope I have your positive attitude when I'm in my 60's thinking of the money I pissed away in my 20's
Old Sep 14th 2020, 10:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to play the BE Trivia Challenge.. Grrrrrr
Old Sep 14th 2020, 12:07 pm
Oscar nominated

Obviously I wasn't thinking of you personally, but you made yourself fit the bill pretty well
That was the idea. Cushy job, safe job, gold plated pension, job for life...I heard all that said about me and fellow workers throughout my working life and none of it was true for about 90% of those of whom it was said.

One of my colleagues, in (then) DSS was held captive by someone she was visiting, raped, tortured over a couple of days and killed. The outside world never got to hear about it. We were in the middle of a pay campaign at the time and it might have earned us some public sympathy instead of the usual ignorance and misinformation. So the government put a D Notice on it and it was never reported.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 12:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

the money I pissed away in my 20's
Try switching from beer to wine.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 12:53 pm
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Try switching from beer to wine.
You trying to bankrupt me?
Pleasant, mid priced wine in a restaurant here starts at about 80quid a bottle.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 1:13 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

That was the idea. Cushy job, safe job, gold plated pension, job for life...I heard all that said about me and fellow workers throughout my working life and none of it was true for about 90% of those of whom it was said.

One of my colleagues, in (then) DSS was held captive by someone she was visiting, raped, tortured over a couple of days and killed. The outside world never got to hear about it. We were in the middle of a pay campaign at the time and it might have earned us some public sympathy instead of the usual ignorance and misinformation. So the government put a D Notice on it and it was never reported.

That is horrendous! The murder and the cover up.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 1:18 pm
Oscar nominated

You trying to bankrupt me?
Pleasant, mid priced wine in a restaurant here starts at about 80quid a bottle.
£25 in the Savoy in 2001 was my record. It was an Oxford Landing Chardonnay at a time when it was £5 in Sainsburys - albeit the Savoy one was probably a 'reserve' one or something. Since it was finished before the meal was over, we had another.

I think that might have been the most extravagant I've ever been. Although £50 to see Brian Wilson at the Royal Festival Hall must be close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.