Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Jan 31st 2020, 5:39 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Oh, and Android. Obviously.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 5:41 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
It's their chief weapon.
Cheeky sods.

Oh, and Android. Obviously.
I would have said Blackberry just for shits and grins.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 5:43 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Cheeky sods.

I would have said Blackberry just for shits and grins.
Not if you'd ever had to support it.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 5:46 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you'd ever had to support it.
No, I had one for two years after my Razr died, but that's about it.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:19 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell kind of questions are those for an interview? I get the questions that are trying to feel out if you're a good fit personality-wise for your future colleagues, but those are just irrelevant.

I'll never understand corporate suits as long as I live. This isn't a world I belong in.
YoungestDreamy is in the midst of job applications. His latest one asked "what's your favourite Mario Kart character?" and "what do you eat when you get the 3pm munchies". After he'd submitted his application, he actually had a phone back from the company (unheard of!!), apparently they have a Friday afternoon Mario Kart tournament, so obviously he's hoping he gets this one in particular.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:25 pm
Doin' It Right

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
YoungestDreamy is in the midst of job applications. His latest one asked "what's your favourite Mario Kart character?" and "what do you eat when you get the 3pm munchies". After he'd submitted his application, he actually had a phone back from the company (unheard of!!), apparently they have a Friday afternoon Mario Kart tournament, so obviously he's hoping he gets this one in particular.
Makes me wonder how overworked they are the rest of the week. As much as I love Mario Kart, that sounds like a trap to me.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiring practices suck, applying for jobs just drains the life out of a person. Having to come up with a bunch of wank to fluff out a resume that's going to end up in the bin, and not even getting a call back to tell you to stop wasting your time waiting for an interview. And then when you do get to the interview, the asinine questions. "Why do you want to work here?" Bitch, I need the money - same as you. Let's not pretend that this is some ground-breaking, important stuff we're doing here. We're not curing AIDS or sending men to the stars, we're pushing numbers and paper around an office. If I lose this job I'm ****ed. Absolutely ****ed. I just need to put in 29 more years and then I'm retiring. I hope I can do that here.

Part of me wants to just go get my CDL and **** off driving lorries for a living, but even that'll be automated out of existence in 15 years and it pays less than my job does now. But the thought of being by myself (or I guess with another driver but team drivers make the miles of both drivers so that's OK too), with no corporate sweater-vest trying to micromanage me makes me irrationally happy.
It's become stupid how companies operate/hire these days, and the questions are becoming so unrelated to the actual job almost feels like its a psychological evaluation and not a job interview...lol

Canada also loves certificates its so stupid what they have certificates for and workers are expected to shell out $$$ to obtain them for pretty basic jobs that can be trained on the job by the employer, oh don't forget the scam that is customer service certificates to work a low wage dead end job.

I suck when it comes to driving in congested areas, but if driving didn't stress me out so much, I would consider trucking, even if it will be automated at some point, I suspect most jobs in the future will be and AI will start to eliminate even jobs that require brains and lots of education, not sure the whole automate people out of work and still expect them to buy goods and services will work out, guess we will see in the coming decade or 2.

I hate the where do you see yourself in 5 years questions, I always make some BS up, but I have flipping clue what is happening 5 years from now, this isn't a career job buddy, its a low wage, 90%+ turn over rate, the answer is pretty obvious that chances are I wont be here in 5 years is what I feel like saying sometimes.....

I can no longer compete in the job market, so its become more of a lets see how many I can apply for and not get a call game, the rare call I do get its almost shocking. Can only change a resume so many times, its been changed, tweaked, silly key words added, and all the other BS but none of it works, my resume screams no skills....

I have noticed my wife often gets calls from government agencies where I never do, despite our education and skill level being the same, I often suspect I don't fall into the diverse enough category.

Even need a class 4 commercial licence to drive for Uber here, if I could do it with normal regular drivers licence, I would drive Uber for a couple hours a day to do something, but its not worth spending the time and money to get a class 4 commercial.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jan 31st 2020 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:35 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me wonder how overworked they are the rest of the week. As much as I love Mario Kart, that sounds like a trap to me.
I don't care what job he gets so long as he gets a job
Old Jan 31st 2020, 7:52 pm
Doin' It Right

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
It's become stupid how companies operate/hire these days, and the questions are becoming so unrelated to the actual job almost feels like its a psychological evaluation and not a job interview...lol
Anyone who positively answers LiW's question about 'achieving goals' should fail any psych eval

Canada also loves certificates its so stupid what they have certificates for and workers are expected to shell out $$$ to obtain them for pretty basic jobs that can be trained on the job by the employer, oh don't forget the scam that is customer service certificates to work a low wage dead end job.
That seems like a massive waste of time, and money.

I suck when it comes to driving in congested areas, but if driving didn't stress me out so much, I would consider trucking, even if it will be automated at some point, I suspect most jobs in the future will be and AI will start to eliminate even jobs that require brains and lots of education, not sure the whole automate people out of work and still expect them to buy goods and services will work out, guess we will see in the coming decade or 2.
I'm fine with the driving. The two main issues with trucking for me (automation aside) is retraining and shelling out a couple grand for the CDL course for a job I might not get since I'm the wrong side of 30, and the inevitable pay cut. But if I got fired or laid off in the immediate future, I'd probably go for it.

I hate the where do you see yourself in 5 years questions, I always make some BS up, but I have flipping clue what is happening 5 years from now, this isn't a career job buddy, its a low wage, 90%+ turn over rate, the answer is pretty obvious that chances are I wont be here in 5 years is what I feel like saying sometimes.....
It is such BS and there's no right way to answer it anyway. I'm sure it's another one of those throwaway questions that ticks some arbitrary box you'll never know about anyway. Why they just can't stick to 'can you do this job' and 'are you easy to work with' kind of stuff instead of all the esoteric management wank, I will never know.

I can no longer compete in the job market, so its become more of a lets see how many I can apply for and not get a call game, the rare call I do get its almost shocking. Can only change a resume so many times, its been changed, tweaked, silly key words added, and all the other BS but none of it works, my resume screams no skills....
I never could compete. Not since I came over here. Had I still been in Ireland I'd be working in the civil service still, hopefully having negotiated any cuts. Out here, I'm just the foreigner with no degree and a weird looking high school history. It's only my experience and seniority that got me in this job because it was essentially the exact same job I had already been doing for six years at another company, which used to be part of the same company as this one anyway. Without word of mouth, I'd have been boned out in the wild.

I have noticed my wife often gets calls from government agencies where I never do, despite our education and skill level being the same, I often suspect I don't fall into the diverse enough category.
It's possible, or maybe she just made it onto a different HR list than you and it's just bad luck. No point dwelling on that one I suppose.

Even need a class 4 commercial licence to drive for Uber here, if I could do it with normal regular drivers licence, I would drive Uber for a couple hours a day to do something, but its not worth spending the time and money to get a class 4 commercial.
I don't know if I would even want to try that, I've heard way too many horror stories about nightmare customers.

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
I don't care what job he gets so long as he gets a job
That was more for his sake, of course. I'd hate to see him get sucked into a shitty environment because they make it seem like they are cool on the outside.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:02 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
My lottery numbers didn't come up, so I am stuck here dealing with this bullshit.
I won $900 on New Years Day. After tax, split with DH, got $418 each,on Jan 2. That pm got call from credit card company fraud dept. Someone had used my card number to make purchases of $415.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who positively answers LiW's question about 'achieving goals' should fail any psych eval

That seems like a massive waste of time, and money.

I'm fine with the driving. The two main issues with trucking for me (automation aside) is retraining and shelling out a couple grand for the CDL course for a job I might not get since I'm the wrong side of 30, and the inevitable pay cut. But if I got fired or laid off in the immediate future, I'd probably go for it.

It is such BS and there's no right way to answer it anyway. I'm sure it's another one of those throwaway questions that ticks some arbitrary box you'll never know about anyway. Why they just can't stick to 'can you do this job' and 'are you easy to work with' kind of stuff instead of all the esoteric management wank, I will never know.

I never could compete. Not since I came over here. Had I still been in Ireland I'd be working in the civil service still, hopefully having negotiated any cuts. Out here, I'm just the foreigner with no degree and a weird looking high school history. It's only my experience and seniority that got me in this job because it was essentially the exact same job I had already been doing for six years at another company, which used to be part of the same company as this one anyway. Without word of mouth, I'd have been boned out in the wild.

It's possible, or maybe she just made it onto a different HR list than you and it's just bad luck. No point dwelling on that one I suppose.

I don't know if I would even want to try that, I've heard way too many horror stories about nightmare customers.

That was more for his sake, of course. I'd hate to see him get sucked into a shitty environment because they make it seem like they are cool on the outside.

I figure with Uber can't be any worse then any other customer service job, ha ha. Canadian's tend to be more polite and city's safer, would never do it in the US though, too many crazy criminals down there. But its not worth investing time and money into getting a class 4 so its not something I would do because of that, if not for the class 4, I would have given it a trial run to see what its like...

The certificate and training here becoming stupid, especially when the training is short term and costs more than a 4 year university degree. I was looking into medical device sterilization, the training costs push 12,000 and is only 4 months long (plus a few months for pre-requisites) and is done on the job, so you get to pay 12k for training that the hospitals could just provide since well the school isn't training in a classroom, they send you to a hospital where you learn on the job. Makes the school $$, and gives hospitals free labor and when you graduate you look forward to casual employment ranging from 0 to 40 hours per week, and oh the training isn't eligible for student loans/financial assistance so you need to come up with the 12k out of pocket.

If I were single, I would back to the US, low skill workers are in the end better off there, and many jobs in Canada that require expensive short term training, either require no training in the US, or very cheap training, same training in California is only like $1,500 but useless to do training in California to work in Canada, Canada doesn't like to recognize foreign training.

From schools perspective I am basically considered uneducated drop out, and have to repeat high school core classes basically over to get into almost any college program, which adds more costs and an extra 3-5 years to complete the core high school classes.

I am fortunate in a way to at least have a disability that allows me to access a monthly income benefit, otherwise I would be super screwed so there is that upside, its about the same income as working 20 hours a week for min wage would be and tax free so there is that....

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jan 31st 2020 at 8:18 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:18 pm
Doin' It Right

I figure with Uber can't be any worse then any other customer service job, ha ha. Canadian's tend to be more polite and city's safer, would never do it in the US though, too many crazy criminals down there. But its not worth investing time and money into getting a class 4 so its not something I would do because of that, if not for the class 4, I would have given it a trial run to see what its like...

The certificate and training here becoming stupid, especially when the training is short term and costs more than a 4 year university degree. I was looking into medical device sterilization, the training costs push 12,000 and is only 4 months long (plus a few months for pre-requisites) and is done on the job, so you get to pay 12k for training that the hospitals could just provide since well the school isn't training in a classroom, they send you to a hospital where you learn on the job. Makes the school $$, and gives hospitals free labor and when you graduate you look forward to casual employment ranging from 0 to 40 hours per week, and oh the training isn't eligible for student loans/financial assistance so you need to come up with the 12k out of pocket.

If I were single, I would back to the US, low skill workers are in the end better off there, and many jobs in Canada that require expensive short term training, either require no training in the US, or very cheap training, same training in California is only like $1,500 but useless to do training in California to work in Canada, Canada doesn't like to recognize foreign training.
That's insane. There isn't anywhere that will pay for certifications before taking you on, or somehow reimburse you?

Only thing you have to watch out for here, of course, is insurance, which makes many of us prisoners of our jobs.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone else have to look up Mario Kart?
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Did anyone else have to look up Mario Kart?

No. You're special.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's insane. There isn't anywhere that will pay for certifications before taking you on, or somehow reimburse you?

Only thing you have to watch out for here, of course, is insurance, which makes many of us prisoners of our jobs.
Only 2 schools in all of BC that ever offer the training, so really quite limited to even get the training.

Yeah we don't have to rely on health insurance as much here, but if you get a job with good extended health, its hard to leave it since good extended health benefits are hard to come by, so once you have them, you don't want to give them up, but at least basic health coverage isn't tied to employment so that is a plus. If you get cancer or a heart attack or stroke or something serious you wont end up in debt, and don't have to worry about insurance companies, you just get treated.

And healthcare jobs love casual employment, one week get 0, then next 40 and everything in between.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jan 31st 2020 at 8:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.