Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Dec 1st 2019, 10:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Doing ATO tax returns (late!), split tax year between UK and Australia, rental income in the UK that we've already paid UK tax on, accountant has no clue re the double taxation agreement AARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 10:28 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Doing ATO tax returns (late!), split tax year between UK and Australia, rental income in the UK that we've already paid UK tax on, accountant has no clue re the double taxation agreement AARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH.
Alan Collett is both a migration agent and accountant. He's familiar with the UK/Aus tax thingy.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 10:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathise...we have 3 countries tax to deal with. Costs a fortune in tax prep fees and it seems to cause hubby a headache all year. For instance we have just received a letter from Canadian Tax wanting further info about UK/US pensions. We thought our accountant had provided all the necessary info...apparently not.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 10:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I sympathise...we have 3 countries tax to deal with. Costs a fortune in tax prep fees and it seems to cause hubby a headache all year. For instance we have just received a letter from Canadian Tax wanting further info about UK/US pensions. We thought our accountant had provided all the necessary info...apparently not.
Three countries! You poor thing, it's a right piss off isn't it. Scouse is staying out of the way, except to bring me coffees and pat me on the head Admin stuff's not his thing, but since he does practically everything else around the house I'm not complaining.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 10:43 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Alan Collett is both a migration agent and accountant. He's familiar with the UK/Aus tax thingy.
Thanks Dorothy.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 11:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Three countries! You poor thing, it's a right piss off isn't it. Scouse is staying out of the way, except to bring me coffees and pat me on the head Admin stuff's not his thing, but since he does practically everything else around the house I'm not complaining.
It’s US taxes that are a pain. If we had only UK and Canada we would probably do them ourselves...but we need an accountant for the US taxes.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:15 am
Concierge

It’s US taxes that are a pain. If we had only UK and Canada we would probably do them ourselves...but we need an accountant for the US taxes.
I've heard that the IRS don't make things easy. I'll probably do our myself too next year, just need some help with the first split year.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

It's one upside to being low income, the IRS return for me is so basic, I couldn't imagine having to do it if there were pensions, investments, savings etc involved, luckily straight earned income makes the return simple.

I've heard that the IRS don't make things easy. I'll probably do our myself too next year, just need some help with the first split year.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:36 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
It's one upside to being low income, the IRS return for me is so basic, I couldn't imagine having to do it if there were pensions, investments, savings etc involved, luckily straight earned income makes the return simple.
You're right JS, it does make it much easier with a single income stream, same here in Oz. My tax returns used to take me all of 10 minutes and I'd always get a refund. Take me back!

My latest 'drama' is Microsoft Office, it was still working ok but I got the 'subscription expired' email, some functions won't work blah blah blah. So I renewed my subscription through the Microsoft website ($99), installed it successfully, and now can't use it at all. Need a product key, virtual help thingy is insisting that the key number comes with the confirmation email - it didn't. So over it!
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man, hope its gets fixed for you.

Yes for taxes unless I am going to make enough to pay for an accountant, it would be tough for me to figure it out if it was complicated. The bulk of our income is tax free in Canada so we get very little refund wise most years, all depends on how much I worked at a normal job.

You're right JS, it does make it much easier with a single income stream, same here in Oz. My tax returns used to take me all of 10 minutes and I'd always get a refund. Take me back!

My latest 'drama' is Microsoft Office, it was still working ok but I got the 'subscription expired' email, some functions won't work blah blah blah. So I renewed my subscription through the Microsoft website ($99), installed it successfully, and now can't use it at all. Need a product key, virtual help thingy is insisting that the key number comes with the confirmation email - it didn't. So over it!
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 4:22 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds horrific. I leave it to Mr Big Sticks and take Scouse's role.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the dentist again ,and it's started to rain
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 7:19 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Back to the dentist again ,and it's started to rain
Tell him he needs a roof
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:38 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I had 3-country tax returns for north of ten years (plus an extra Ltd company one, so 4 returns) and it felt like I was permanently doing a tax return for multiple different tax-years - two were Jan-Dec, one April 5th, one June 30th. It was miserable. In the end it was yet another reason to move from one country and I managed to move the UK Ltd company accounts to coincide with the UK tax-year so they at least arose at the same time.

The tax prep fees for the US return for the last two years (still on green card but living in the UK) were the best part of $1,000 for no tax to pay - so much FBAR, FACTA, foreign houses in multiple countries and pensions to value and on and on and on - ugh.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Yes, I had 3-country tax returns for north of ten years (plus an extra Ltd company one, so 4 returns) and it felt like I was permanently doing a tax return for multiple different tax-years - two were Jan-Dec, one April 5th, one June 30th. It was miserable. In the end it was yet another reason to move from one country and I managed to move the UK Ltd company accounts to coincide with the UK tax-year so they at least arose at the same time.

The tax prep fees for the US return for the last two years (still on green card but living in the UK) were the best part of $1,000 for no tax to pay - so much FBAR, FACTA, foreign houses in multiple countries and pensions to value and on and on and on - ugh.
$1K sounds like an absolute bargain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.