Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Oct 31st 2019, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
People wearing those step counter things.
People wearing those step counter things and boots with hard heels, who walk round and round inside a small station waiting room with a stone floor at 6:30 in the bloody morning. She's stick thin anyway.
.... I suspect you'd like to send her a message LiW.. ?
But whatever's p*ssed people off, it's all relative imo. I've been watching the reports of those terrible fires in LA and Southern California this morning, and suspect people there have something genuinely to be p*ssed off about.
I just can't take in the speed of the fire's destruction.... It terrifies me, and it's something I always keep it in mind here in PT.
What slightly puzzles me though, is that they seem to be in the same area/s as last time - and I do recall Trump excoriated CA's State admin over their incompetence, but then gave them more money. Has nothing been done? I'm really confused, I suppose, because I can't take in the area/s and sizes. I even saw one report that areas like Beverly Hills and the Ronald Reagan Library was threatened.... In a major city suburb ???

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell View Post
Therapist tells me a need a psychiatrist consult to deal with the issues I'm having with my meds.
Dr tells me that psychiatrist consults aren't available in Ontario for "people in my situation"
Dr and me trying to figure out meds by trial and error, side effects vs benefits.

Dr keeps asking me what do i want to do (increase,decrease,try something new).
I'm the worst person in the world at the moment to try and make a rational decision about this
I hate it when doctors ask what I want. FFS they are supoosed to know, I'm not the one with the medical degree.

Same goes for hairdressers.
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell View Post
Therapist tells me a need a psychiatrist consult to deal with the issues I'm having with my meds.
Dr tells me that psychiatrist consults aren't available in Ontario for "people in my situation"
Dr and me trying to figure out meds by trial and error, side effects vs benefits.
Dr keeps asking me what do i want to do (increase,decrease,try something new).
I'm the worst person in the world at the moment to try and make a rational decision about this
My sympathies. The good thing is that the Dr is being honest and not bullshitting you that he knows it all. I think a lot of them (MD's and psychiatrists) use trial and error without much input from their patients. Good luck and hopefully things will improve.

Old Oct 31st 2019, 1:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
My sympathies. The good thing is that the Dr is being honest and not bullshitting you that he knows it all. I think a lot of them (MD's and psychiatrists) use trial and error without much input from their patients. Good luck and hopefully things will improve.
I agree - frustrating as it may be, it's also refreshing to find a medic who doesn't think they know it all. The doctor can track the physical impact of any medication, they might also observe the impact upon you - but only you can say what you're experiencing, because we all react differently.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 1:34 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe change is gonna come. Slowly. With improvements to your pipeline. There is a big push to get women (and girls in high school) into Engineering in the US. But it's slow.

https://alltogether.swe.org/2018/09/...y-the-numbers/

Don't know about the UK. The Little Lion reports plenty of women on his civil engineering course but I'm completely sure that it's not 50% and as a heterosexual young man just out of his teens he's probably more er, focused, on women than many.
I don't agree with using racial/ethnic division to heal the results of racial/ethnic division. I think it's a philosophically flawed concept, being still based on these divisions that were fabricated and used against people in the first place. But then it's easy for me to say that since I happened to be born on the winning side of the equation and collectively we've done a piss poor job of fixing the social conditions that causes your female/non-whiteskinned pipeline problem. Clearly bias and prejudices still exist everywhere as well. You can't fix it as one lone hiring manager, and it's important to distinguish between actual hiring bias and a simple lack of candidates.
Frankly, I don't care what we hire, I just want to hire good people. Whether female or black or gay. Being pressured to hire some type for no valid reason is completely wrong.

I'd love to see more women in the business, the diversity of thought and approach is what's important. White men collectively think in a certain way a lot of the time and the diversity of thought and approach is limited compared to a random bunch of folks.

Still, all a bit snowflakey to campaign amongst the groups in HQ. I've been asked why I want to be involved in diversity conversations and workstreams when I'm a white, British man....like being the anti-christ in that arena doesn't allow me a voice

My son is very interested in people. Female people.
LAD.

Banging all those Pompey slaaaaaaaags
Old Oct 31st 2019, 2:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

LAD.

Not listening.

There are things a mum just doesn't need to think about in any detail.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 2:22 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Ah, memories. The the first iteration of AMD in computing......... The IBM 4300 series mini computers were sold as not requiring A/C - but they did provide AMDs (Air Moving Devices) to help with cooling.......

Sounds technical, but to you and me they were just 12" pedestal fans.

... mind you, check out the VDUs

Old computers are great, aren't they? Those were a little before my time though, my school preferring the BBC Micro and the (then) relatively new RM Nimbus PCs. Secondary school then added the old boxy 80s Macs. Ahh, when a 20Mb hard disc was considered a lot of storage

My first computing ventures were on this. It involved a lot of discs and used to say "fatal error" a lot on the screen.

Apart from the BBCs at school, mine were on this

I used to mess around in BASIC because mine was a hand-me-down from my cousin, and it was the 16K version, which you couldn't get any games for anymore in 1989 because they were all for the 48k. Meh.

Mind. Blown.
As long as it's just your mind.

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
It's not surprising that women are less interested in engineering than men - women tend to be more interested in people and men more interested in things.
That seems a little overly simplistic.

LAD.

Old Oct 31st 2019, 2:30 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Not listening.

There are things a mum just doesn't need to think about in any detail.
Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm sure he's wrapping up before he's slapping up though. Sensible soccer and all that.

Sorry. I didn't mean it. I'm sure he's just having polite conversations with ladies and making sure they get home safe.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 2:45 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

My first experience, complete with spreadsheet called Supercalc...

Old Oct 31st 2019, 2:50 pm

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm sure he's wrapping up before he's slapping up though. Sensible soccer and all that.

Sorry. I didn't mean it. I'm sure he's just having polite conversations with ladies and making sure they get home safe.

He got Sex Ed about 10 times at school - they start young and then the content gets gradually more explicit as they get older. It got to the point where was complaining "Mum, I have to do 'healthy relationships' again."
Old Oct 31st 2019, 3:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Absolutely loved that show.
Friday nights on HTV. We could also pick up HTV Wales where it started half an hour later so I used to watch the second half all over again.

Don't know about the UK. The Little Lion reports plenty of women on his civil engineering course but I'm completely sure that it's not 50% and as a heterosexual young man just out of his teens...
I read that as out of his jeans

Old Oct 31st 2019, 3:23 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about the UK. The Little Lion reports plenty of women on his civil engineering course but I'm completely sure that it's not 50% and as a heterosexual young man just out of his teens he's probably more er, focused, on women than many.
For what it's worth, bot my physics and chemistry lectures back in '97-'01 were at least 50% women.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 3:26 pm

And while we're on the subject.

Dot matrix printers
Old Oct 31st 2019, 3:28 pm
Hail Satan!

Dot matrix printers
I used to have one of those for my Amiga back in the day. I have no idea why I thought it would be a good idea, but I did use it for my French homework once, and to print random shit I did in Deluxe Paint, but that was about it. Total waste of money and ribbon replacements became virtually impossible to find about 5 minutes after I got it.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 3:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Dot matrix printers
Punchcards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.