Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Sep 26th 2019, 2:40 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I'm still quite new to Reddit but I ****ing love it. It's, on the whole and if you're selective of subs to follow, a positive and pleasant place to be. People are nice to each other. There's lots of 'in-jokes' which has made it hard to really get into but I'm kinda there now. It's cool.

Stop worrying about who has been lost from the BE world and be grateful every day you still have me.
Reddit still isn't perfect. Dogs ****ing everywhere blech, and so many people talk like a bunch of attention-seeking weirdos, but there's decent content there and we can always downvote the dogs and weirdos anyway to make ourselves feel better so there's that.

Don't worry though, I light a little red-and-white striped candle every morning and have a minute's silence in your name.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Seems that way. All the aquarium forums I used to go to for example are either gone completely or still exist but only see a few posts a month, Reddit is okay but I don't find it all that great, some subs better than others of course, the local Vancouver sub can be quite toxic at times, but some subs are okay but not the same level forums were. I tried facebook groups but generally they always seemed to be run by control nuts and not pleasent places, but overall I think the internet in general is simply not the people connector it was in the early days, and more of well a place to conduct business and buy stuff.

I recently deleted my facebook altogether, really nobody I know posts anything anymore on it, and it was mostly just news media and ads I was seeing, not really worth using anymore, never got into the twitter or things like chat snap, or whatever its called.
Facebook groups can be pretty toxic a lot of the time, generally I avoid them except for the one my daughter's teacher has for parents only, so she can share info and pictures of what they are doing in school, which is cool. I really only use it to keep in touch with family and friends back home 99% of the time anyway and for that it works well.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 3:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post

Facebook groups can be pretty toxic a lot of the time, generally I avoid them except for the one my daughter's teacher has for parents only, so she can share info and pictures of what they are doing in school, which is cool. I really only use it to keep in touch with family and friends back home 99% of the time anyway and for that it works well.

There was one of those for parents at my son's high school. Whine, whine, whine - nothing but complaining about teachers, wanting to school to solve every possible problem encountered by every single student ("my daughter liked the xyz salad in the machine, why did they take that one out and why hasn't the school done anything"). And all talking about how they were paying for tutors (to the tune of $5-75 per hour) to get their little darlings to do well in tests.

No thanks. I opted out after the first year.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 3:20 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
There was one of those for parents at my son's high school. Whine, whine, whine - nothing but complaining about teachers, wanting to school to solve every possible problem encountered by every single student ("my daughter liked the xyz salad in the machine, why did they take that one out and why hasn't the school done anything"). And all talking about how they were paying for tutors (to the tune of $5-75 per hour) to get their little darlings to do well in tests.

No thanks. I opted out after the first year.
I feel for kids who have parents like that. I get it that it's hard to 'let go' but once they're old enough to be going to school, it's really time to start backing off bit by bit, or they'll never learn how to be independent and think for themselves. We all want our kids to do well but sometimes we fail an exam, and that's OK. Of course, my daughter will freak out if she gets a B and she won't listen to me when I try to tell her that it won't affect her overall grades and that Bs are actually fine.

Kids have a lot of stress, even in elementary school. I fell like we were able to mess around a lot more when I was 9/10, but that could also be a cultural difference and it just always sucked to be a kid in the US.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 3:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for kids who have parents like that. I get it that it's hard to 'let go' but once they're old enough to be going to school, it's really time to start backing off bit by bit, or they'll never learn how to be independent and think for themselves. We all want our kids to do well but sometimes we fail an exam, and that's OK. Of course, my daughter will freak out if she gets a B and she won't listen to me when I try to tell her that it won't affect her overall grades and that Bs are actually fine.

Kids have a lot of stress, even in elementary school. I fell like we were able to mess around a lot more when I was 9/10, but that could also be a cultural difference and it just always sucked to be a kid in the US.

I remember my son being sent to the office for talking too much in class (as usual ) in fifth grade. He got "written up" and came home in a state saying that it would "be on his permanent record". WTF did they tell him that? Why didn't they just tell him off and leave it at that?

Old Sep 26th 2019, 3:41 pm
Doin' It Right

I remember my son being sent to the office for talking too much in class (as usual ) in fifth grade. He got "written up" and came home in a state saying that it would "be on his permanent record". WTF did they tell him that? Why didn't they just tell him off and leave it at that?
Oh god, I used to get sent to the headmaster's office all the time for swearing in class, imagine if I'd done that here

I don't understand the infatuation with controlling kids through fear over here though. Getting sent to my room after I did my homework was about as bad as I got, and even then it only ended up being for like an hour and I was always able to read or something when I was in there. It was basically 'you miss CBBC for saying **** in school'.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 3:44 pm

Oh god, I used to get sent to the headmaster's office all the time for swearing in class, imagine if I'd done that here

I don't understand the infatuation with controlling kids through fear over here though. Getting sent to my room after I did my homework was about as bad as I got, and even then it only ended up being for like an hour and I was always able to read or something when I was in there. It was basically 'you miss CBBC for saying **** in school'.

Parents would have been called, and possibly the social worker.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 4:09 pm
Doin' It Right

Parents would have been called, and possibly the social worker.
Oh my parents found out anyway. My mum was a dinner lady, and the headmaster lived next door to my grandparents. But ya know, I was also 6, and we were all swearing up a blue streak every day anyway, so what can you do?

At least my daughter's school so far has always kept an element of fun alongside their learning, although I do have an issue with teachers outsourcing their jobs to parents as homework. My son had a lot of stress in school, but I don't know how much of that was due to his ADHD, and how much was the school environment but I do appreciate that in high school, at least, too many kids have too much pressure on them too early on in their lives. Pile on all the (mandatory, apparently and not for fun/recreation/additional learning like they were for us) extra-curricular activities and try to squeeze in 6-8 hours of sleep a day and how much time does your average American 16-year-old have to be a 16-year-old? Man, school might have been a pain in the arse at the time but looking back, we had it much easier than I often see here. Even during A-levels, we all still had time to slack off and have some fun.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that just a made-up threat? Colleges only care about grades and extra-curricula stuff, not how naughty you were in class.

Old Sep 26th 2019, 4:15 pm

Oh my parents found out anyway. My mum was a dinner lady, and the headmaster lived next door to my grandparents. But ya know, I was also 6, and we were all swearing up a blue streak every day anyway, so what can you do?

At least my daughter's school so far has always kept an element of fun alongside their learning, although I do have an issue with teachers outsourcing their jobs to parents as homework. My son had a lot of stress in school, but I don't know how much of that was due to his ADHD, and how much was the school environment but I do appreciate that in high school, at least, too many kids have too much pressure on them too early on in their lives. Pile on all the (mandatory, apparently and not for fun/recreation/additional learning like they were for us) extra-curricular activities and try to squeeze in 6-8 hours of sleep a day and how much time does your average American 16-year-old have to be a 16-year-old? Man, school might have been a pain in the arse at the time but looking back, we had it much easier than I often see here. Even during A-levels, we all still had time to slack off and have some fun.

Part of it is the constant grading and testing. We had the do or die GCSEs and Alevels, at the end of specific years, but not the constant assessment that contributes to your overall GPA that is so important for post-secondary.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Anian View Post
Isn't that just a made-up threat? Colleges only care about grades and extra-curricula stuff, not how naughty you were in class.
Yes it is, exactly my point. I pointed out to my son that the odds of any uni or employer caring about a bit of pink paper in a file from when he was 10 were, well, slim.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 4:30 pm
Doin' It Right

Part of it is the constant grading and testing. We had the do or die GCSEs and Alevels, at the end of specific years, but not the constant assessment that contributes to your overall GPA that is so important for post-secondary.
That's true, even in the non-GCSE/A-level years, we just had our Christmas exams and our summer exams and that was it. In my school, at least, your end-of-year average was used for streaming classes the following year, but after 3rd year that stopped and you stayed in that 'stream' through the end of GSCEs. In 6th form, classes were set by elective subjects and were generally much smaller anyway.

And the uni I went to only cared about grades. As long as I got one B and two Cs in my A-levels and they included physics and maths, they didn't care how many clubs I was in, or if I was a rugger bugger. Since I was doing all black-and-white answer sciences, all I had to do was memorize my notes and I was good to go. The rest of the time was spent hanging out with my mates or playing SWOS on the Amiga. Oh, for it to be 1997 again.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When my old friend Johnny was in about grade 5 in Pilot Butte he called his teacher an asshole (he was). The teacher said "Go to the office and tell the principle what you said and get the strap." Johnny went and told him, but the principle didn't have time to strap him, so said "Just go tell him you're sorry." He went back to class, the teacher said "Well?" and Johnny said "I'm sorry you're an asshole."
Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:41 pm
Doin' It Right

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
When my old friend Johnny was in about grade 5 in Pilot Butte he called his teacher an asshole (he was). The teacher said "Go to the office and tell the principle what you said and get the strap." Johnny went and told him, but the principle didn't have time to strap him, so said "Just go tell him you're sorry." He went back to class, the teacher said "Well?" and Johnny said "I'm sorry you're an asshole."
Damn, Johnny had some balls.

Luckily I was able to avoid getting caned in school, they outlawed corporal punishment in 1986, 2 years after I started primary school. I did see one kid get caned in front of us at home time once, shit was not fun to watch at all.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 8:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, Johnny had some balls.
Balls like cars, but unlike the protagonists in most of my stories, this one is still living. He was 'best man' on our railway section gang in the 70's and eventually became a foreman. The whole family was good.

Old Sep 26th 2019, 8:45 pm
Doin' It Right

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Balls like cars, but unlike the protagonists in most of my stories, this one is still living. He was 'best man' on our railway section gang in the 70's and eventually became a foreman. The whole family was good.
Nice one. Glad to head he's still around too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.