Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Yesterday, 3:12 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by LARAHTX View Post
I am livid with my mothers oncologist. She is due to have radiation therapy soon; he will be administering some injections. I asked about general side effects of the drug not if [she/mom] would have them. I want to know what to look for. The man answered with “will I have an accident when driving my car.” Listen … I asked what are the side effects.. I know everyone is different and she may not have them but to answer a actual concern that way. Crushed my spirit. How the **** am I supposed to tell my mother that whilst I translate it for her? My mom is looking to me to help her understand her treatment and yet I get that. I have never felt so furious yet helpless in my life.
What is it with oncologists? The one I saw finally convinced me NOT to have chemotherapy through his attitude. He took umbrage when I queried the statistics I was being fed (my life has always been around statistics) and suggested that if I did not think it was necessary then I shouldn't have it... He then got even more annoyed when I described his description of patients begging to continue therapy as sounding "like faith healing"...... I hate medics who display the "God syndrome" as if they are beyond question.

I know you moved to the UK - is you Mum with you? Whatever, speak to your local Macmillan Cancer Suppport.branch in the UK. They are brilliant and focus on supporting the whole family of those who suffer from cancer - I'm sure they will be able to find the information you need. They were fantastic in supporting SWMBO during my "crisis" and were invaluable to me too. Explain to them what is happening and that you need to keep your Mum up to speed...

Keep fighting and good luck - to both you and your mum.
Old Yesterday, 4:19 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Still smiling at the outcome (and the ability to do so!)
Old Today, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

567 emails from my time away.

That's only so low because I turned off system emails / notifications.

I'm tempted to delete the ****ing lot.
Old Today, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
If you drive through Slough on the way to Heathrow you'll have no trouble finding reason to leave
Swindon was enough to be fair. We stopped at a Sainsbury's and there were many, many men and children without shirts on.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
And it makes it pretty good to come back to, as well.

We were sitting out last night with the sounds of the gulls, woodpigeons and blackbirds gradually fading with the light, and then the pipistrelles came out and were pinging about only 6ft over our heads, probably trying to work out who/what were were. The smell of the jasmine from the garden next door combined with a slightly salty, slightly marshy smell from the estuary.

Post pics of your wedding finery
Sounds wonderful to be honest. We're back to the sweaty heat and I miss the woodpigeons in Mum's garden - even though she hates them.

Old Today, 11:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
567 emails from my time away.

That's only so low because I turned off system emails / notifications.

I'm tempted to delete the ****ing lot.
Dare, Dare!
I feel like that some mornings when I open up and see 7 or 8 from the same person. It's an e-friend and he has this irritating habit of responding to what I've said by referencing parts in separate emails, then another bit, then another bit and then maybe an afterthought on the first bit and so on.

It's quite off-putting having a dozen bolded emails listed, 7 or 8 from him. On the plus side, they don't need much dealing with
Old Today, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Dare, Dare!
I feel like that some mornings when I open up and see 7 or 8 from the same person. It's an e-friend and he has this irritating habit of responding to what I've said by referencing parts in separate emails, then another bit, then another bit and then maybe an afterthought on the first bit and so on.

It's quite off-putting having a dozen bolded emails listed, 7 or 8 from him. On the plus side, they don't need much dealing with
That would probably send me loopy I think.

I've gone with the tactic of sorting by sender, deleting those I don't like or care about, then by subject so I can batch delete those that have turned into millions of replies. Down to just over 200 now.
Old Today, 12:35 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
That would probably send me loopy I think.

I've gone with the tactic of sorting by sender, deleting those I don't like or care about, then by subject so I can batch delete those that have turned into millions of replies. Down to just over 200 now.
Reminds me of the time before smartphones when, during holiday, my husband's account was hacked and thousands of "dirty" e-mails were sent out in his name.
The replies ....
Old Today, 6:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I just found a "local" Bakery/shop that does Scotch Eggs, Steak and Ale pie, Steak and Kidney pie, Windsor pie (but not Pork pie), Whisky Orange Marmalade (although I do sometimes see that and can get it from Amazon), Battenberg cake and the pièce de résistance, Clotted Cream.

It's over 60km away, over the border in Nova Scotia.
Old Today, 10:00 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto View Post
Spanx is your friend, and I think they do a guy's version.
Thanks for that, I tried some singlet thingy from a German company via Amazon, but sadly it didn't quite give the desired result. Probably down to it missing some reinforced eyelets, a few metres of steel cable and a traction engine.

I then ran spouse's suggestion past the bride-to-be, but that got the thumbs down.

So I took myself off to visit a local tailor, keeping an open mind as to whether to rent or buy something, and explained my requirement.

"When do you need it?" In just over three weeks.

"You'll have to rent one then, we can't make you a suit in under six weeks. Colour?" Err, dark blue please, no check or pattern.

"Two or three piece?" Two please.

"Ok, try this one on to start? Right, that looks mostly ok, I can make it a better fit in a week or so, I can alter that, and alter that ... " Ah, so, can you do alterations on other items?

"I'm a tailor, not a cosmetic surgeon."
Old Today, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I just found a "local" Bakery/shop that does Scotch Eggs, Steak and Ale pie, Steak and Kidney pie, Windsor pie (but not Pork pie), Whisky Orange Marmalade (although I do sometimes see that and can get it from Amazon), Battenberg cake and the pièce de résistance, Clotted Cream.

It's over 60km away, over the border in Nova Scotia.
Lovely excuse for a nice afternoon drive!