Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old May 23rd 2022, 3:32 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

So daughter has house heated using heat pump but often in very cold weather auxiliary heating kicks in while she's at work and it costs her more so...
She's bought this new super thermostat that allows her to control what shade of pink the walls are and talks to the flowers outside to find out how warm they are and she'll be able to control all of this from her phone while she's driving in bear country so she can turn it off when it's getting expensive.
So.. Can I install it for her?
Install the device and think I have all the wires in the right place and the circulating fan comes on but no heat when we ask for it.. Hmmmm...
Now the problem with knowing a little is that you never know enough and when something like this happens you tend to think you've done something wrong so after some mithering and brain scratching later device still not working properly.
When all else fails search the internet and lo and behold I see many many many posts describing the exact same issue, so what causes it?
Apparently, by default, there's a software setting in the device that gives the operator two choices.
Do you want the heat controlled by the Thermostat or the Furnace? and the default is the thermostat, as we decided sounded the appropriate choice... and this apparently was wrong.
Send link to daughter and device now working.
Now the issue that pisses me off is the wording of the setting.
I've just installed a thermostat to control when the heat pumps provide heat so what do I want to control the pump,,the shiny new thermostat or the thing I'm controlling and common sense tells me, as it did so many others, that the wrong answer is the right one.
As a side issue I got the impression from reading the installation manual that they really like you to employ, what they call, a 'pro' to install it and would I care to log on so that they can find one for me.
Now call me cynical or not but I've no doubt this little problem we encountered has earned their 'pros' a tidy sum for being in the know about this problem over the years, but what do I know.
I think I must be going senile.

Old May 23rd 2022, 3:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
Apparently, by default, there's a software setting in the device that gives the operator two choices.
Do you want the heat controlled by the Thermostat or the Furnace?.
Isn't the purpose of a thermostat to control the temperature?
(according to how you set it)
How does a furnace control it?
Old May 23rd 2022, 5:08 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Isn't the purpose of a thermostat to control the temperature?
(according to how you set it)
How does a furnace control it?
Absolutely, fooled me, but then what then I'm only human.
Old May 23rd 2022, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Interviewing candidate after candidate... none can listen to instructions, present way over time and can not answer a question concisely...
Old May 23rd 2022, 9:19 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
So daughter has house heated using heat pump but often in very cold weather auxiliary heating kicks in while she's at work and it costs her more so...
She's bought this new super thermostat that allows her to control what shade of pink the walls are and talks to the flowers outside to find out how warm they are and she'll be able to control all of this from her phone while she's driving in bear country so she can turn it off when it's getting expensive.
So.. Can I install it for her?
Install the device and think I have all the wires in the right place and the circulating fan comes on but no heat when we ask for it.. Hmmmm...
Now the problem with knowing a little is that you never know enough and when something like this happens you tend to think you've done something wrong so after some mithering and brain scratching later device still not working properly.
When all else fails search the internet and lo and behold I see many many many posts describing the exact same issue, so what causes it?
Do you want the heat controlled by the Thermostat or the Furnace? and the default is the thermostat, as we decided sounded the appropriate choice... and this apparently was wrong.
Send link to daughter and device now working.
Now the issue that pisses me off is the wording of the setting.
I've just installed a thermostat to control when the heat pumps provide heat so what do I want to control the pump,,the shiny new thermostat or the thing I'm controlling and common sense tells me, as it did so many others, that the wrong answer is the right one.
As a side issue I got the impression from reading the installation manual that they really like you to employ, what they call, a 'pro' to install it and would I care to log on so that they can find one for me.
Now call me cynical or not but I've no doubt this little problem we encountered has earned their 'pros' a tidy sum for being in the know about this problem over the years, but what do I know.
I think I must be going senile.
The 'pros' around here are useless. My office had a Nest thermostat until we had issues with the central air. They blamed the thermostat and switched it out for a regular dumb one. I took the Nest home and switched it with my Nest to test it and it works perfectly well. Low and behold a few weeks later we have the same issue with the central air at the office so someone else comes out and finds a drainage issue instead. I'm tempted to re-install the Nest at the office but the wiring looks so chewed up now that I'm not prepared to risk the wire's snapping and having to run a new one.
Old May 23rd 2022, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat View Post
Interviewing candidate after candidate... none can listen to instructions, present way over time and can not answer a question concisely...
So interviewing politicians then?
Old May 24th 2022, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
So interviewing politicians then?
Scientists, physicians, or both. Just dreadful. Started the day with a no show as well.
Old May 24th 2022, 8:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus. This not ****ing normal - how is it possible that people continue to accept this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61573377

An 18 year old killed 14 kids and a teacher.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 24th 2022 at 8:59 pm.
Old May 24th 2022, 9:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Jesus. This not ****ing normal - how is it possible that people continue to accept this?

.. citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,”

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-p...s-r-1819576527
Old May 24th 2022, 9:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
.. citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,”

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-p...s-r-1819576527

It's not even ****ing satire. It's just like that.
Old May 24th 2022, 9:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Plus a 66 yr old woman and a child in critical condition. WTF????
Old May 24th 2022, 9:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not even ****ing satire. It's just like that.
Exactly. A sombre Onion article published in 2014 is all that you need to read, however many years go by.

And a lot of Americans think we need less public policy, and less government, not more.
Old May 24th 2022, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat View Post
"present way over time" ... is that 'arrive late'?
Old May 25th 2022, 12:48 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Exactly. A sombre Onion article published in 2014 is all that you need to read, however many years go by.

And a lot of Americans think we need less public policy, and less government, not more.
The first step to solve any problem is to acknowledge that there is a problem.

Apparently, the majority of Americans have not reached that stage, preferring to believe that allowing free access to lethal weapons is a demonstration of liberty.

To say more is a waste of breath.
Old May 25th 2022, 7:24 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Dreadful news today all round. So much dreadful news. On and on .

For us : Unrelenting radios blaring day in and day out. Right next door. The "development". No end in sight. Even with all doors windows and internal doors closed , in it comes. Get up with them . Live all day with it. Maybe Sunday off.

We have tried talking. We have tried reasoning. We have tried everything . The answer is the same . We are the problem it seems. "Poms". Being awkward. All sorts of mad reasoning . Stuff that none of them would put up for a minute with for their own homes. Council = no good. When was it ever.

I love our house and garden. I loathe this place and the attitude of the people here .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.