Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old May 18th 2022, 4:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

From a tweet that has shown up on my twitter tl

Near neighbour in her 80s discovered on pavement in town She was begging to pay her energy bills Tears rolling down her cheeks Johnson, you have caused this You won’t care but I do I hope others agree.

some help has been offered to her from another person on my tl.
Old May 18th 2022, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post

Near neighbour in her 80s discovered on pavement in town She was begging to pay her energy bills Tears rolling down her cheeks Johnson, you have caused this You won’t care but I do I hope others agree.

That is bl**dy awful that old people have to ask for money to pay their bills. Pensions are so inadequate and utility bills are far too high. It must have taken some strength of character, and be at her wits end to do that, as you know, old people are very reluctant to ask for any sort of help. I hope she gets the help she needs and more.
Old May 19th 2022, 2:37 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Beyond disgusting. Hope she gets some aid somehow. No-one shoulf be put through that.
Old May 19th 2022, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

And because a caring member of the public helps her,no doubt the Govn.will have smiles all round & say that´s sorted,then.
Old May 19th 2022, 2:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03 View Post
And because a caring member of the public helps her,no doubt the Govn.will have smiles all round & say that´s sorted,then.
Thatcher's good samaritan. He couldn't have done it if he'd not been given a tax windfall.
Old May 20th 2022, 7:25 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

And this in one of the richest countries in the world, while Johnson papers his living room in gold wallpaper.

Old May 20th 2022, 7:33 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto View Post
That is bl**dy awful that old people have to ask for money to pay their bills. Pensions are so inadequate and utility bills are far too high. It must have taken some strength of character, and be at her wits end to do that, as you know, old people are very reluctant to ask for any sort of help. I hope she gets the help she needs and more.
Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Beyond disgusting. Hope she gets some aid somehow. No-one shoulf be put through that.
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Thatcher's good samaritan. He couldn't have done it if he'd not been given a tax windfall.

Should just be grateful for the bus pass...

Different woman, same problem.
Old May 20th 2022, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn´t it heartwarming to see that R.Sunak has now appeared on the "Rich List"
Old May 20th 2022, 7:52 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

So... got a text this morning from harassed daughter at 7.30am.
Crawled out of bed to find that her washing machine won't go and that I'll have to be there when the man comes to fix it.
Try uplugging it and plugging it back in again I suggest, because I know that this machine bleeps and plays tunes to let you know that it's having a nice day and not got a headache..
Arrive at daughter's later in the morning and sure enough the machine is dead and no amount of button pushing, swearing and hammering would wake it up.
I notice that it's plugged into a surge protector in the wall and this has a nice satisfying green light showing.
Surge protector also feeds router etc and they are working well.
Find an extension cable and plug machine into another socket and hey presto machine springs into life, whistles at me, says hello, and did I have any unmentionables that needed washing.
Plug machine back into surge protector and yes machine working well once again.
Call daughter to let her know that washing machine not broken and she tells me this...
"Called repair man and he said 'have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in again?"
So why didn't she try this?
Well as I said, the surge protector has a nice friendly green light on it so she assumed it was working so didn't bother unplugging the washing machine as advised by two sensible people, thought she knew better and ignored our advice.
As I used to tell my operators, just because you've pressed a button labelled 'Start the pump' and just because a light is glowing labelled 'Pump running' does not mean that the pump is actually running, just check once in a while.
Are all daughters like this?
Do they all ignore sensible advice assuming they know better?
I think I must be getting senile.
Old May 22nd 2022, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
"Called repair man and he said 'have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in again?"
So why didn't she try this?
With anything IT related - Computer, router, etc - unplug/replug is probably the first thing you should try. I guess people don't view their washing machines like their computer gear ... but these days they are!
Old May 22nd 2022, 10:50 am

Isn´t it heartwarming to see that R.Sunak has now appeared on the "Rich List"
He must have been saving money by buying those economy brands.
Old May 22nd 2022, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
He must have been saving money by buying those economy brands.
Does Tesco, Aldi, Waitrose etc etc do a no name brand of Caviar?
Old May 22nd 2022, 2:50 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I think you might be suggesting Tesco Essentials Caviar...... probably made out of roe from a Herring that once swam in the same water as a Lumpfish, dyed black with squid ink by artisans from Kaliningrad**. Hard to get these days...... must be Brexit..

** Best washed down with a fine Sauvignon Blanc from Ethiopia.
Old May 23rd 2022, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Yes they do.But because our politicians say they understand all about the the cost of living crisis,it is being marketed as "Extra Good Fish Fingers"
Old May 23rd 2022, 12:14 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do.But because our politicians say they understand all about the the cost of living crisis,it is being marketed as "Extra Good Fish Fingers"
Are they the ones made from "recovered white fish"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.