Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:42 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Great Barrier Reef: Two-thirds damaged in 'unprecedented' bleaching - BBC News

People bickering over who gets to live and work on which side of which political border while in the meantime devastating climate change is happening in plain sight.

The Great Barrier Reef is probably going to die in its entirety.
The worst thing about this is, coral bleaching can be reversed with time. We could actually, with some time and effort, actually save the entire ecosystem from dying out. The Great Barrier Reef doesn't have to disappear at all but people seem content to sit back and do nothing, despite repeated appeals from the scientific community that climate change is undeniably real and happening right now.

This is like some kind of 'First they came for the ..." situation for species, and when it comes to be our turn we'll only have ourselves to blame.

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I was merely making a point, but I accept your offer. Thank you.

Mr PresiScamp
POTUS
You could almost certainly kick the present one's arse at golf. Though he's certainly getting his practice in these days.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
The worst thing about this is, coral bleaching can be reversed with time. We could actually, with some time and effort, actually save the entire ecosystem from dying out. The Great Barrier Reef doesn't have to disappear at all but people seem content to sit back and do nothing, despite repeated appeals from the scientific community that climate change is undeniably real and happening right now.

This is like some kind of 'First they came for the ..." situation for species, and when it comes to be our turn we'll only have ourselves to blame.
Well why don't we do something about it then???

(Note: rhetorical question)
Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:52 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Well why don't we do something about it then???

(Note: rhetorical question)
From what I can find out searching articles on it, Australia doesn't even seem to be in much of a rush to do anything, though they do acknowledge the severity of the bleaching and attribute it to climate change.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 10:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can find out searching articles on it, Australia doesn't even seem to be in much of a rush to do anything, though they do acknowledge the severity of the bleaching and attribute it to climate change.
I hadn't realised it had got so bad. We cannot afford to lose such places - our planet needs them, literally.

Plymouth, where my son is considering going to uni, is busy planting verges, roundabout centres, any vacant bit of land, with a selection of flowering wild plants to support the insect population. Wipe out bees and our food supply is in trouble.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 10:36 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

It's bad and New Zealand is no better at all.
Just one example . Maui dolphins. So easy to protect but the government is just not interested in doing that.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 4:22 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing, I'd be loaded.

But imagine if that wasn't the case. Imagine if someone who got into power didn't just bow to the gun lobbyists or fossil fuel firms. I wonder what it would be like.

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Hire car companies.....
I always rented as cheap as possible and always had these sort of 'rows'.
Rented last time from Enterprise or someone more expensive, service was phenomenal compared....but at 2x the price it's hard to justify.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I always rented as cheap as possible and always had these sort of 'rows'.
Rented last time from Enterprise or someone more expensive, service was phenomenal compared....but at 2x the price it's hard to justify.
I use Argus Car Hire. They search all the big boys and a few smaller ones. I usually end up getting one of the big boys and all is good, however, it didn't work out like that this time. Lesson learnt. The twats haven't gotten back to me yet either.

Kind of thinking of raising a fraud claim against them through Mastercard just for the fun of it.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 7:06 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I use Argus Car Hire. They search all the big boys and a few smaller ones. I usually end up getting one of the big boys and all is good, however, it didn't work out like that this time. Lesson learnt. The twats haven't gotten back to me yet either.

Kind of thinking of raising a fraud claim against them through Mastercard just for the fun of it.
Yeah I use them too, generally end up with Budget (because they're Avis but cheaper and the bus from Heathrow is never too much faff).
Old Apr 11th 2017, 3:37 pm
Grove 4 Life

I hadn't realised it had got so bad. We cannot afford to lose such places - our planet needs them, literally.
Exactly. We are the only species on earth who are capable of wiping out other entire species via our actions. It doesn't happen anywhere else in the animal kingdom. We have a responsibility of stewardship towards all life on earth, not just our own, because our evolution is intrinsically linked with the evolution of all other life, and it doesn't take huge changes to set an imbalance in motion.

We are on track for a global average temperature increase of 4C compared to the 1961-1990 average (see this huge, yet also hugely informative XKCD). That might not seem like a lot on balance, but when it was an average of 4C cooler than the 1961-1990 average we were in the middle of an ice age.

Ten of the warmest years on record have occurred since 1998, last year was one of (if not the) warmest. This shit is happening and yet the government of the most powerful country on the planet appears to have made climate change denial actual policy. It pisses me off quite a bit.

Plymouth, where my son is considering going to uni, is busy planting verges, roundabout centres, any vacant bit of land, with a selection of flowering wild plants to support the insect population. Wipe out bees and our food supply is in trouble.
Any green space that can be used should be treated like this. Roundabouts and highway medians are prime real estate for such an idea.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. We are the only species on earth who are capable of wiping out other entire species via our actions.
Not entirely accurate...... there are tons of examples of non native species wiping out endemic ones. Admittedly often they are introduced by human actions but that's not always the case. Species often migrate of their own accord due to environmental factors, again they are mostly due to humans but these can also be natural such as climate change or natural disasters. I did a conservation course in Uni and it was surprisingly interesting and enjoyable.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 5:25 am
Grove 4 Life

Not entirely accurate...... there are tons of examples of non native species wiping out endemic ones. Admittedly often they are introduced by human actions but that's not always the case. Species often migrate of their own accord due to environmental factors, again they are mostly due to humans but these can also be natural such as climate change or natural disasters. I did a conservation course in Uni and it was surprisingly interesting and enjoyable.
I guess I should have looked into it better

Seems though, even when other species are doing it, there is still some kind of human involvement.

That being said, we are in a unique position in that we are the species that understands what is happening and can do something about it.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 10:51 am

I guess I should have looked into it better

Seems though, even when other species are doing it, there is still some kind of human involvement.

That being said, we are in a unique position in that we are the species that understands what is happening and can do something about it.
We seem to have become counter-evolutionary though. We are the species that is prepared to destroy what it needs to survive. It's not the best long-term plan. We'll be getting a Darwin award shortly.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 2:02 pm
Grove 4 Life

We seem to have become counter-evolutionary though. We are the species that is prepared to destroy what it needs to survive. It's not the best long-term plan. We'll be getting a Darwin award shortly.
Thankfully, not all of us, just a frighteningly large majority

There's still a very remote chance that aliens will come and rescue us, but we'll probably just round them up and put them in camps so the Daily Express can write shock headlines about them ...
Old Apr 12th 2017, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

But nobody will be left to present it
Old Apr 12th 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
But nobody will be left to present it
A cockroach will do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.