Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Old Dec 29th 2021, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Welcome to the 21st Century.

I'd like to move away from the negativity of the 'Enter the Wokeness' thread into somewhere we can support those who need support. Toomany times, 'woke' has been used to portraya negative, and it's time to take that back, to be inclusive.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Dec 29th 2021 at 2:27 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 2:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome to the 21st Century.

This thread kinda ought to just be the way we talk and behave in general, but sure.

April Ashley, dead at 86, might approve.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-59816881

"Actress, model and activist April Ashley has been hailed as a "trans trailblazer" following her death at the age of 86. Ashley became only the second Briton to undergo male-to-female gender reassignment surgery, in 1960. She was later photographed for British Vogue and appeared opposite Joan Collins in the film Road to Hong Kong. Ashley was made an MBE in 2012 for her campaigning work for the transgender community."
Old Dec 29th 2021, 2:40 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
This thread kinda ought to just be the way we talk and behave in general, but sure.

"Actress, model and activist April Ashley has been hailed as a "trans trailblazer" following her death at the age of 86. Ashley became only the second Briton to undergo male-to-female gender reassignment surgery, in 1960. She was later photographed for British Vogue and appeared opposite Joan Collins in the film Road to Hong Kong. Ashley was made an MBE in 2012 for her campaigning work for the transgender community."
It's a good idea, much better than these conversations making me feel sad.

I like that you posted this story as well, showing that these issues that trans people face are not new by any means and it's really about time they got some support.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
It's a good idea, much better than these conversations making me feel sad.

I like that you posted this story as well, showing that these issues that trans people face are not new by any means and it's really about time they got some support.
Preach, brother.. Preach!
Old Dec 29th 2021, 3:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Preach, brother.. Preach!
That's all I got for now
Old Dec 29th 2021, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Jan Morris who died November last year.
Obituary: Jan Morris, a poet of time, place and self - BBC News

Also Sarah Muirhead-Allwood ---orthopaedic surgeon who 'did' the hips of Royalty and Andy Murray.

Old Dec 31st 2021, 12:15 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

"The lawyer representing the Wahkiakum School District expects the case to go to the state Supreme Court and could have a big statewide impact. The current funding system "makes our public schools a perpetuator of class inequality," he said"
“Public education is supposed to be the great equalizer in our democracy,” reads the complaint filed Tuesday in Wahkiakum County Superior Court. “Our state government’s failure to amply fund the Wahkiakum School District’s capital needs, however, does the opposite. It makes our public schools a perpetuator of class inequality.”
https://www.seattletimes.com/educati...x=1640836189-1
Old Dec 31st 2021, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Go Amy...
Old Dec 31st 2021, 10:59 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Dillon
In the 1940s in the UK, it seems like all you needed was a doctor's note to change your birth certificate.

"[the surgeon] provided Dillon with a doctor's note that enabled him to change his birth certificate, and put him in contact with the pioneering plastic surgeon Harold Gillies."

"A former tutor of Dillon's persuaded the Oxford registrar to alter records to show that he had graduated from all-male Brasenose rather than the women's college St Anne's, so that his academic transcript would not raise questions. Again he became a distinguished rower — this time for the men's team."

"He officially diagnosed Dillon with acute hypospadias in order to conceal the fact that he was performing sex-reassignment surgery."
Old Dec 31st 2021, 11:19 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Michael Dillon
In the 1940s in the UK, it seems like all you needed was a doctor's note to change your birth certificate.

"[the surgeon] provided Dillon with a doctor's note that enabled him to change his birth certificate, and put him in contact with the pioneering plastic surgeon Harold Gillies."

"A former tutor of Dillon's persuaded the Oxford registrar to alter records to show that he had graduated from all-male Brasenose rather than the women's college St Anne's, so that his academic transcript would not raise questions. Again he became a distinguished rower — this time for the men's team."

"He officially diagnosed Dillon with acute hypospadias in order to conceal the fact that he was performing sex-reassignment surgery."
Thanks for that Kimilseung. Hard to reconcile this with more recent attitudes
Old Dec 31st 2021, 11:26 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
Thanks for that Kimilseung. Hard to reconcile this with more recent attitudes
A constant reminder that this kind of thing is not new and is as natural as breathing is never a bad thing.
Old Dec 31st 2021, 11:29 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
A constant reminder that this kind of thing is not new and is as natural as breathing is never a bad thing.
100%

Old Dec 31st 2021, 11:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Michael Dillon

Interesting that so many seem to have become less tolerant and more um, uninformed.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that so many seem to have become less tolerant and more um, uninformed.
Have they though?
I learned a very valuable lesson way back in high school and that was that a racist (and presumably any other kind of distasteful type) very rarely changes their spots. However, because most of them are cowards, you can put an instant halt to their BS to you and those around you by kicking the living crap out of them. My only regret is that I didn't do it several years earlier.

Nowadays, I get the odd hick gobbing off about Muslims and immigrants while dribbling over the fact that I'm an Englishman and because I'm slightly more subtle than my 15 year old self I let them know that my family departed Persia far more recently than when their ancestors came to the US. For the exceptionally mentally challenged (oddly enough, most of them) I have to then let them know where Persia is. It hasn't yet failed to shut the ignorant f***ers up.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 10:41 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
Have they though?
I learned a very valuable lesson way back in high school and that was that a racist (and presumably any other kind of distasteful type) very rarely changes their spots. However, because most of them are cowards, you can put an instant halt to their BS to you and those around you by kicking the living crap out of them. My only regret is that I didn't do it several years earlier.

Nowadays, I get the odd hick gobbing off about Muslims and immigrants while dribbling over the fact that I'm an Englishman and because I'm slightly more subtle than my 15 year old self I let them know that my family departed Persia far more recently than when their ancestors came to the US. For the exceptionally mentally challenged (oddly enough, most of them) I have to then let them know where Persia is. It hasn't yet failed to shut the ignorant f***ers up.
Karma for this post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.