Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

To Vaccinate or Not..

To Vaccinate or Not..

Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default To Vaccinate or Not..

Any anti-vaccination people want to send their children here? What about when children start dying in this "modern" country?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47715169
Old Mar 27th 2019, 12:38 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has p*ssed you off today...part II

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Any anti-vaccination people want to send their children here?

Actually I think they should be made to.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Actually I think they should be made to.
The problem is no vaccine is 100% safe. Most would agree that it is OK to 'sacrifice a few for the sake of saving multi-millions'.

However think about the situation if a child has a severe reaction or dies when the parent was 'forced' to have the child vaccinated.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:12 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
The problem is no vaccine is 100% safe. Most would agree that it is OK to 'sacrifice a few for the sake of saving multi-millions'.

However think about the situation if a child has a severe reaction or dies when the parent was 'forced' to have the child vaccinated.
I am sure that is meant to change my mind, but it doesn't.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

"Individual Variations" and the non-specificity of treatments means that there is ALWAYS a risk - but the requirement is to weigh up the risks of NOT undertaking the treatment.

Personal choice is fine when the impact is personal - but when it relates to something which can infect the wider population, then the wider population also has a say - I don't think many people would suggest that it's OK to allow cholera carriers to move freely or for smallpox carriers to refuse treatment. It's a tough choice, but it's not a personal one - anyone putting the majority at risk through their own decisions should be subject to sanction.

Obviously, any negative outcomes from vaccination are tragic - but so is the impact on victims who are not inoculated and/or become infected due to the continued existence of a pool of disease harboured by the refuseniks.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. What about all the people, children and adults, forced to die because of these people's beliefs? Very little is 100% safe, especially doing nothing at all. Science says vaccinate.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Any anti-vaccination people want to send their children here? What about when children start dying in this "modern" country?

158 children with measles is hardly an epidemic..This is fear mongering at its best. Measles in itself is not a dangerous disease for gods sake. What is dangerous is parents being forced to make decisions they don't want to make .There are a few (previously vulnerable) kids who die because they contract a virus. ANY virus. There is plenty of evidence to say that some children react badly or worse to the vaccine. Until they can remove the aluminium element that delivers the shot I feel that Big Pharma should stop these campaigns.
I would however add that with the interference in the ability/ or intention of modern mothers to be able to breast feed their children , and thereby provide the necessary protection for babies up to 4yrs old. Younger and younger children and babies are contracting what used to be virus's that only pre school kids got. In that event both the virus and the vaccine can be dangerous.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
158 children with measles is hardly an epidemic..This is fear mongering at its best. Measles in itself is not a dangerous disease for gods sake. What is dangerous is parents being forced to make decisions they don't want to make .There are a few (previously vulnerable) kids who die because they contract a virus. ANY virus. There is plenty of evidence to say that some children react badly or worse to the vaccine. Until they can remove the aluminium element that delivers the shot I feel that Big Pharma should stop these campaigns.
I would however add that with the interference in the ability/ or intention of modern mothers to be able to breast feed their children , and thereby provide the necessary protection for babies up to 4yrs old. Younger and younger children and babies are contracting what used to be virus's that only pre school kids got. In that event both the virus and the vaccine can be dangerous.
From wikipedia:
"In 1980, 2.6 million people died of it, and in 1990, 545,000 died; by 2014, global vaccination programs had reduced the number of deaths from measles to 73,000. Rates of disease and deaths, however, increased in 2017 due to a decrease in immunization. The risk of death among those infected is about 0.2%"
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:44 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Stupidity in itself is a dangerous disease for gods sake!

I had measles in 1968 at age 5 and can still remember how sick I was. Thankfully I only had minor hearing loss as a result, but the effects could have been so much more severe.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
What? Vast numbers die from it every year - due to measles, not because they are "a few vulnerable kids". With 110,000 dead from the virus in 2017, you call this a few? It's ok that these people die of a preventable illness? What about the non-lethal damage, too?

You really need to read up some more.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/05/healt...ner/index.html

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Mar 27th 2019 at 1:50 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Stupidity in itself is a dangerous disease for gods sake!

I had measles in 1968 at age 5 and can still remember how sick I was. Thankfully I only had minor hearing loss as a result, but the effects could have been so much more severe.
I actually had measles as a child too, having missed the universal vaccination years. I clocked a 105F fever, had seizures (yes, I know that explains a few things ), got a secondary ear infection, and was ill for a good two weeks, missing three weeks of school. Fun times.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:51 pm

How are these un-vaccinated kids doing things like going to school?
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:52 pm

I actually had measles as a child too, having missed the universal vaccination years. I clocked a 105F fever, had seizures (yes, I know that explains a few things ), got a secondary ear infection, and was ill for a good two weeks, missing three weeks of school. Fun times.
Most people have a secondary ear. I don't think you can count that as an infection. :P

Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:55 pm

Most people have a secondary ear. I don't think you can count that as an infection. :P
Let's just be glad that my third eye didn't get it.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 1:56 pm

How are these un-vaccinated kids doing things like going to school?

Unclear, but perhaps they are going to private schools where it's not required? I don't know New York state law.

"The rate of immunisation in the religious communities, for young people, it's about 50%-60%, which is not nearly enough."

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.