Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Tories in chaos

Tories in chaos

Old Sep 29th 2020, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tories in chaos

Johnson and his cronies dont seem even know their own covid rules. I wonder how long he is going to last?
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-he...-idUKKBN26K28B
Old Sep 29th 2020, 7:25 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
Johnson and his cronies dont seem even know their own covid rules. I wonder how long he is going to last?
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-he...-idUKKBN26K28B
Johnson corrected himself soon afterwards on Twitter.
That's ok then.

Anyone not get that?
Old Sep 29th 2020, 7:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It's literally an advert for privatising the NHS.

Also, someone needs to watch more telly, there's loads of lawyers who'll claim this money back no-win-no-fee.
No it's not because these contracts were GOVERNMENT contracts nothing to do with the NHS who were bypassed. It's the same wth the NHS track and Trace, which is, in fact the SERCO track and Trace, it has nothing to do with the NHS except that the Goverment gave them permission to use NHS. in fact there is an NHS Track and Trace used for hospital inpatients, but the SERCO one isn't compatible and cant integrate with the NHS results.
No doubt that when it comes to accounting ALL the losses will be blamed on the NHS, and used as a hook for privatisation.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 3:02 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

This opinion of Johnson is cutting. But are the public paying attention?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...o-being-a-baby

"By the end, it wasn’t just the Labour leader who was looking bemused. It was MPs from both sides. The knowledge that this hadn’t even been Boris at his worst only added to the pathos. Never has a prime minister with an 80-seat majority looked so alone. A man out of touch with his country, his party and most of all himself."
Old Sep 30th 2020, 6:19 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I know you are pro NHS. It's not just the money wasted here though. The cronyism is there even if the product is delivered.
The latter doesn't bother me as much as it does other people - I see it as a fact of life and something so unlikely to change that being upset about it is not a good use of my energy. I know you'll disagree, but I'm just being honest.

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Afaik, the Govt awarded these PPE contracts, not the NHS,
Good Law Project is taking the Govt to court on our behalf.

https://goodlawproject.org/news/the-ppe-fiasco/

Once the ''Coronavirus act 2020 (emergency legislation for 6 months)'' is over, one assumes the Goverment shall has to answer questions in the HOC.
These 6 months are nearly over (this week I think) and the legislation is being discussed at the moment.
The Government is fighting with their own back benches since the Mp's want to end these powers.
What's interesting is links within your link are pretty critical of the NHS in how they procured PPE before and their involvement and ability in being able to procure more for this crisis.
They've pissed loads of money away but also worth noting that the issue has predominantly disappeared - I don't see loads of panic about it anymore, which a government response details.
Also, in the image previously shared, it's another example of things needing to be checked - the PestFix contract was quoted as 108m quid but no mention of the fact it was reduced to 32m....and they've delivered a large percentage of it, so the claim that it has never appeared would appear to be utterly untrue.

The message is probably very fair that the government have pissed money away, I don't doubt that for one minute but individuals can't just make shit up and share it like it's gospel and cause the sort of shouty outrage that it does.

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
No it's not because these contracts were GOVERNMENT contracts nothing to do with the NHS who were bypassed. It's the same wth the NHS track and Trace, which is, in fact the SERCO track and Trace, it has nothing to do with the NHS except that the Goverment gave them permission to use NHS. in fact there is an NHS Track and Trace used for hospital inpatients, but the SERCO one isn't compatible and cant integrate with the NHS results.
No doubt that when it comes to accounting ALL the losses will be blamed on the NHS, and used as a hook for privatisation.
Simply not correct. But nevermind, I don't disagree that it's a shambles to have spent so much money and have not been better prepared but I think we should at least be rational.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 2:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
...It's not just the money wasted here though. The cronyism is there even if the product is delivered.
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
The latter doesn't bother me as much as it does other people - I see it as a fact of life and something so unlikely to change that being upset about it is not a good use of my energy...
Under normal circumstances, yes. We see enough of it everywhere to know it's normal even if undesirable. In my province of Canada campaign managers for the winning party in an election will generally be rewarded with the position of CEO in the Province Liquor board or Power Company. Federally there was something about Trudeau a couple of years back and the response was very much what would you expect.

But what the UK has seen, and not just over the last couple of years, is surely exceptional in terms of contracts being given to friends/supporters not just improperly with no tendering but repeatedly given to companies/friends riddled with failure to deliver previously. G4s, A4e, Carillion, ATOS, Capita, Maximus etc

Giving a contract to 'friends' who at least deliver what they've been paid to do is one thing but doing it repeatedly and getting nothing for your money is something quite different. That's worth getting angry about.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 1:02 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again.
Former Tory minister criticised for new job at firm she lobbied for
Former Tory shipping minister Nusrat Ghani is facing criticism for taking up a £60,000 role at a firm leading a maritime consortium which successfully bid for a £33m grant she had lobbied a fellow minister for while she was serving in government...Ghani will serve as non-executive chairman of the Belfast Consortium Supervisory Board at Artemis Technologies Ltd for a year from 4 September 2020, receiving £60,000 for seven hours of work per month
I'd love to see what someone like that actually does for that 7 hours a month.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 3:48 am
I'm Not Dead Yet!

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Here we go again.
Former Tory minister criticised for new job at firm she lobbied for

I'd love to see what someone like that actually does for that 7 hours a month.
Lobbying the government?...
Old Oct 9th 2020, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Lobbying the government?...
Over lunch of course
Old Oct 9th 2020, 9:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Over lunch of course
subsidised as well.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 10:53 am
I'm Not Dead Yet!

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
subsidised as well.
On expenses....
Old Oct 10th 2020, 7:00 pm
Oscar nominated

Lawyers claim knife attack at law firm was inspired by Priti Patel's rhetoric
On 7 September a man with a large knife entered a London law firm and launched a “violent, racist attack” that injured a staff member before the assailant was overwhelmed. A confederate flag and far-right literature were allegedly found in a bag he was carrying...It was Patel’s remarks which the law firm – not being named for security reasons – believe inspired the incident. “Responsibility and accountability for this attack, in the eyes of this firm, lies squarely at the feet of Priti Patel,” say documents containing witness statements and details of the attack...

Patel appears not only to have ignored its concerns but doubled down on her attacks against immigration lawyers. Last Sunday, almost a month after the knife attack, Patel used her speech at the Conservative party conference to target “do-gooders” and “lefty lawyers,” claiming those who represented asylum seekers were “defending the indefensible”. Two days later, in his keynote speech, Boris Johnson went even further, claiming the entire criminal justice system was “being hamstrung by lefty human rights lawyers”.
Lefty-lawyers and do-gooders. What pathetic language. That's what you'd expect to hear down the pub not from ministers in parliament or at conferences.
Old Oct 11th 2020, 11:27 am
Oscar nominated

Oh look, another one.

I was just reading about the latest scams and apparently there's an agency running something called "Action Fraud" that's supposed to help record all the reports and investigations etc but Which magazine says it's not fit for purpose. Edited to add that the policce are not exactly happy either. "angry, disappointed and appalled."

I did a little digging and find it's run by a US company called Concentrix. This sounds exactly like all those other companies I have a bee in my bonnet about - A4e, G4S, Carillion and all the rest of them who consistently fail to deliver what they promise the UK government. And that's putting it charitably.

So I look up Concentrix. From wiki:
In 2014, Concentrix won a £75 million contract from the UK's tax authority, the HMRC, to review two million tax credit claims for fraud and incorrect tax credit awards. Tax credits are a form of UK social welfare benefit paid out to parents and workers on low incomes. In 2016, Concentrix was receiving heavy criticism from the cross-party parliamentary committee on welfare for incorrectly closing the claims of tens of thousands of claimants, leaving them without money for essentials. A government report disclosed that of 36,000 appeals against Concentrix, 87% were upheld. In September 2016, the HMRC announced that it would not renew the contract, due to expire in 2017, although the Treasury has resisted calls for a full inquiry thus far. As a result of Concentrix's failings, thousands of claimants are also due to receive back-payments for incorrectly stopped claims. Processing the resultant case reviews cost HMRC £43 million.
But never mind, eh, there's always another contract to be 'won' despite these failings.

Last edited by BristolUK; Oct 11th 2020 at 11:33 am.