Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

A TIO Christmas

A TIO Christmas

Old Jan 1st 2022, 12:36 pm
  #241  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 78,460
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

I won't weigh in too much (getting back on topic) but I think a few small adjustments might make a good start. Posts containing disinformation (lies, doctored videos, propaganda, unverifiable/unreliable sources, etc.) should be deleted. If you can't prove what you're saying with facts, then it is your OPINION and you need to start acknowledging that it is your OPINION. Posters who continue to present lies and disinformation as fact should be banned after a few warnings.
Leslie is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2022, 1:16 pm
  #242  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 26,319
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I won't weigh in too much (getting back on topic) but I think a few small adjustments might make a good start. Posts containing disinformation (lies, doctored videos, propaganda, unverifiable/unreliable sources, etc.) should be deleted. If you can't prove what you're saying with facts, then it is your OPINION and you need to start acknowledging that it is your OPINION. Posters who continue to present lies and disinformation as fact should be banned after a few warnings.
Agreed. I want to be able to read the evidence and be able to look up the sources in a different tab. I don't watch the YouTube videos making certain claims.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2022, 1:30 pm
  #243  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 117
hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Who are you again?
I am just someone who has been accepted by the British Expats forum admin and with as much right to post as you.
hughandi is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2022, 3:41 pm
  #244  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 78,460
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by hughandi View Post
I'm dreaming of a TIO Christmas..........not.

A thread started to bring out the worst of the worst. A fox hunt with the hounds ripping apart one particular fox.

The Thread has nothing to do with Christmas, a total hate fest.
I'm sure you could have come up with a better title for this thread.
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Who are you again?
Originally Posted by hughandi View Post
I am just someone who has been accepted by the British Expats forum admin and with as much right to post as you.
I don't recall questioning your "right to post" but thanks!

The question was based on the fact that, in the first post I've ever seen from you, you expressed strong feelings and intimate knowledge of other posters. To the point that you are comfortable ascribing evil thoughts and motivations and accusing them (see your post above) of nasty things. I find that curious, therefore I asked a polite question. Happy New Year.
Leslie is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2022, 5:53 pm
  #245  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,119
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I don't recall questioning your "right to post" but thanks!

The question was based on the fact that, in the first post I've ever seen from you, you expressed strong feelings and intimate knowledge of other posters. To the point that you are comfortable ascribing evil thoughts and motivations and accusing them (see your post above) of nasty things. I find that curious, therefore I asked a polite question. Happy New Year.


I was grateful for his posts. Having been quite upset by some replies, (probably NYE over-emotion.)
Bipat is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 2:43 am
  #246  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 78,460
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I was grateful for his posts. Having been quite upset by some replies, (probably NYE over-emotion.)
Which part, in particular? Which part of that post were you grateful for?
Leslie is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 5:11 am
  #247  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 117
hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Who are you again?
Originally Posted by hughandi View Post
I'm dreaming of a TIO Christmas..........not.

A thread started to bring out the worst of the worst. A fox hunt with the hounds ripping apart one particular fox.

The Thread has nothing to do with Christmas, a total hate fest.
I'm sure you could have come up with a better title for this thread.
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Which part, in particular? Which part of that post were you grateful for?
I think this post shows exactly why TIO is often criticised.

I recognised Bipat as being the fox in the resulting bloodbath for posting about a family anecdote. Hence my post.
IF you are supposed to be one of the more, caring, friendly and tolerant posters, I really don't understand the vicious attack on another poster.
Did Bipat's comment really deserve, such nastiness from yourself and others.

A long running topic of this thread is mental health, and that BE is there for all as, a sympathetic collective ear to help, according to you.
I am not in anyway suggesting that Bipat has any mental issues, far from it. Although her posts do give the impression she wears her heart on her sleeve.

it is obvious that she doesn't have much support, and even more obvious that will carry on and on,
When posters try to difuse or offer a little support, they become targets too.

I find it amazing that for all the talk of tolerance etc on BE, there is very little shown in practice.

Aren't you even slightly ashamed of your vendetta in this thread?


BTW. this is only my opinion. I'VE taken on board one of your suggestions for improving the BE experience.



Last edited by hughandi; Jan 2nd 2022 at 5:16 am.
hughandi is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 8:35 am
  #248  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,367
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Water runs downhill. The sun rises in the east. Chickens cluck. Dogs bark.

When someone claims water runs uphill, the sun rises in the west, chickens moo and dogs meow, is it a "vicious attack" to point out otherwise?

Furthermore, when one consistently claims falsehood after falsehood, even after being irrefutably debunked over and over again, is it a "vicious attack" to point out the dogma? The one you're defending has a very long tradition of starting these arguments, over and over, and even after being proven otherwise, starts it again. It's not "ganging up". It's dogma. The backlash should be expected.

Yep, we're all entitled to our opinions. I suppose it would be "proper" to just be patronising and agree? Maybe on fantasy Island. The real world operates a bit differently.
amideislas is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 9:00 am
  #249  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,119
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by hughandi View Post
I think this post shows exactly why TIO is often criticised.

I recognised Bipat as being the fox in the resulting bloodbath for posting about a family anecdote. Hence my post.
IF you are supposed to be one of the more, caring, friendly and tolerant posters, I really don't understand the vicious attack on another poster.
Did Bipat's comment really deserve, such nastiness from yourself and others.

A long running topic of this thread is mental health, and that BE is there for all as, a sympathetic collective ear to help, according to you.
I am not in anyway suggesting that Bipat has any mental issues, far from it. Although her posts do give the impression she wears her heart on her sleeve.

it is obvious that she doesn't have much support, and even more obvious that will carry on and on,
When posters try to difuse or offer a little support, they become targets too.

I find it amazing that for all the talk of tolerance etc on BE, there is very little shown in practice.

Aren't you even slightly ashamed of your vendetta in this thread?


BTW. this is only my opinion. I'VE taken on board one of your suggestions for improving the BE experience.

Thankyou for your thoughts. I am unpopular on other threads because I mention India too often! I try to make a point that TIO has become too 'westernised' and that the world is a larger place. That Indian connections are so important for UK future.
Regarding the above post--- I have disputed news reports that I know to be false and get irritated by those who claim to know so much more about a country that they have never set foot in, than myself for whom it has been home for 50+ years.
The remarks on this thread about a personal incident are because people really did not understand that the previous poster was making a remark about his wife's 'culture' being ridiculed (the child's ear piercing)
. It is unfortunate that misunderstanding turns into aggression, and on this thread so much.
Hopefully the New Year will bring pleasant discussions!



Bipat is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 9:59 am
  #250  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 117
hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Water runs downhill. The sun rises in the east. Chickens cluck. Dogs bark.

When someone claims water runs uphill, the sun rises in the west, chickens moo and dogs meow, is it a "vicious attack" to point out otherwise?

Furthermore, when one consistently claims falsehood after falsehood, even after being irrefutably debunked over and over again, is it a "vicious attack" to point out the dogma? The one you're defending has a very long tradition of starting these arguments, over and over, and even after being proven otherwise, starts it again. It's not "ganging up". It's dogma. The backlash should be expected.

Yep, we're all entitled to our opinions. I suppose it would be "proper" to just be patronising and agree? Maybe on fantasy Island. The real world operates a bit differently.
In my opinion the following is not necessary, even if a poster goes off on a tangent or whatever, you may think it's acceptable but a lot of us don't.

Because it's all about you. EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME.

The above is just a sample of the style of posing that occurred

As it has been stated before, you all have an ignore button at your disposal, use it.

Also, if posters get so obviously so wound up by a harmless anecdote,that civilty goes out of the window, it's not good at all.
May I suggest to some, not to 'invest' so much time or energy posting, if the frustration levels result in such angry posts.

It ain't good for ya.
hughandi is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 10:09 am
  #251  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 10,445
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

I've been looking over this and other threads for the past while, but have not posted.

Despite having been on BE for a good few years now, I still think of myself as a relative newcomer - and therefore I am wary at jumping to conclusions about perceived animosity between members. I've got into a fair few "discussions" myself at times and given my dislike for misinformation - or more precisely, the fear it will go unchecked - some have become heated, gone off-topic and/or continued longer than they should...... but there are always those who like to get the last word, even if that too is incorrect.

Relationships, even online relationships, take time to establish - and that can make any forum seem like an "exclusive" club to the newcomer - BE and TIO are no exception. I tend to avoid (or evade) discussions that start warning bells in my head, but not always....... I am saddened to see the loss of any members, especially those who have been supportive in the past, and I am even more sad to read that many others are "considering their position" - but I guess that many, like me, may be considering whether to contribute freely, given the current climate.

It seems to me that we have survived major divisive themes, Trump, Brexit et al, and are now tearing ourselves apart, perhaps because the bile built up during those times has no obvious outlet.... but also because those of us who were there to engage at that time have long memories and don't trust leopards who appear to change their spots. I am deliberately not referencing any previous posts, because (this time) I just can't be arsed to point out the self-delusion expressed by some. In truth, I even miss old sparring partners, though I don't always miss the sparring. Anyone looking back at some of my old exchanges out of context might well see them as "toxic", but, as they say, you had to be there.

I'm not going away..... but I fear that the forums may become less of an outlet than they were - and I mourn that like the loss of an old friend.
macliam is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 11:46 am
  #252  
Stocking up on red wine!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 9,491
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by hughandi View Post
I think this post shows exactly why TIO is often criticised.

I recognised Bipat as being the fox in the resulting bloodbath for posting about a family anecdote. Hence my post.
IF you are supposed to be one of the more, caring, friendly and tolerant posters, I really don't understand the vicious attack on another poster.
Did Bipat's comment really deserve, such nastiness from yourself and others.

A long running topic of this thread is mental health, and that BE is there for all as, a sympathetic collective ear to help, according to you.
I am not in anyway suggesting that Bipat has any mental issues, far from it. Although her posts do give the impression she wears her heart on her sleeve.

it is obvious that she doesn't have much support, and even more obvious that will carry on and on,
When posters try to difuse or offer a little support, they become targets too.

I find it amazing that for all the talk of tolerance etc on BE, there is very little shown in practice.

Aren't you even slightly ashamed of your vendetta in this thread?


BTW. this is only my opinion. I'VE taken on board one of your suggestions for improving the BE experience.
Interesting analogy here

When the fox invades the coop, hell bent on carnage, the chickens (who all have a common interest in survival) cluck. Eventually, with luck, the farmer comes out & shoots the fox.

Frankly I am sick & tired of the "Bipat is a victim" mantra. You only have to look at the last couple of day's posts in the Brexit thread to see the problem. Someone posts a very reasonable reference to a newspaper article. Bipat ("the trained arguer") managed to make an argument about that (petty & irrelevant really). Evidence is offered, and rejected, this prompts multiple posts from others ("bullies") allegedly, and yet she goes on & on, refusing to accept the points made - to Bipat there is only Bipat's way - and no other. No sympathy.

ETA: Why does autocorrect change analogy to ability and fox to fix? Now corrected.
Expatrick is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:11 pm
  #253  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,119
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Interesting analogy here

When the fox invades the coop, hell bent on carnage, the chickens (who all have a common interest in survival) cluck. Eventually, with luck, the farmer comes out & shoots the fox.

Frankly I am sick & tired of the "Bipat is a victim" mantra. You only have to look at the last couple of day's posts in the Brexit thread to see the problem. Someone posts a very reasonable reference to a newspaper article. Bipat ("the trained arguer") managed to make an argument about that (petty & irrelevant really). Evidence is offered, and rejected, this prompts multiple posts from others ("bullies") allegedly, and yet she goes on & on, refusing to accept the points made - to Bipat there is only Bipat's way - and no other. No sympathy.

ETA: Why does autocorrect change analogy to ability and fox to fix? Now corrected.

I made a valid point that the subject was not new and had been discussed before. It was not an 'argument'. To the one poster who asked for evidence I gave links.
(Regarding a poster who targets my posts --and I admit the replies go on and on from us both---I no longer reply to.)
Bipat is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:26 pm
  #254  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 26,319
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I made a valid point that the subject was not new and had been discussed before. It was not an 'argument'. To the one poster who asked for evidence I gave links.
(Regarding a poster who targets my posts --and I admit the replies go on and on from us both---I no longer reply to.)
Yes, but the links said there were expected to be new discussions.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:37 pm
  #255  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,119
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A TIO Christmas

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Yes, but the links said there were expected to be new discussions.
Yes ----there probably will be! The news papers were speculating! The trade deal negotiations haven't started yet, there doesn't even seem to be a date!
The main point of discussion was negativity regarding the choice of the new International Trade Minister. (In fact I was surprised at the choice)

This is off topic regarding the improvement of TIO!

Bipat is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.