Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The Shithole Countries comment.

The Shithole Countries comment.

Old Jan 13th 2018, 1:42 am
Ooh wakka doo wakka day

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Shithole Countries comment.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
If you just take illegal immigration and deportations of such people and other immigration measures implemented since Trump became President then his supporters would say he is doing a good job.....

The 2017 deportations were lower than at any time during the Obama administration, according to previous DHS statistics.
So that's down then? Would his supportes say he was doing a good job if it was the lowest figure for eight years or more?
But ICE officers arrested far more suspected illegal immigrants in the months after President Donald Trump took office than in the same period last year.
But not managed to deport them then. Arrested more people so that actually makes more people that could be deported but overall still managed to deport fewer than in at least the previous eight years.
Out of a bigger number comprising those who already could have been deported plus the increased numbers arrested. So that's fewer deportations and an even smaller rate of deportations.

And his supporters approve? That's pretty weird. Or maybe not.

So Trump was carrying out a campaign promise.
Hang on...didn't you just say he was failing?

One reason for the decrease in deportations was that fewer people appeared to be trying to cross U.S. borders...
and
....its estimated approx 20,000 fled north to Canada. This has saved the US Govt a bit of money.
Thus allowing them to change focus and, therefore, arrest more people...but fail to deport them.

Thousands have commented that they will avoid travelling to the USA due to his latest comments and one of the last reports stated tourism was down 4%.
That's bad isn't it?
Trump will say his immigration policies are working.
Probably. Might even say "best ever"

Sounds like we're back on "the operation was a success, the patient died"
Old Jan 13th 2018, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Well when you consider its neighbour who shares the same island who seem to have no problem attracting tourists then you sort of start wondering what happened and why the difference between the Dominican Republic and Haiti although a brief history can be found here
Haiti and the Dominican Republic: One island, two worlds | Global Ideas | DW | 12.02.2013
Old article. I can confirm they are both shitholes run by corrupt governments.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
However moronic Trump is or however even more moronic he is unless the democrats can come up with an iconic candidate like Obama Trump will if he choses and is mentally or physically capable of standing will win.
Reagan proved that for the average American it is the economy that matters.

The middle American , southern voter does not give a toss about his latest views.
They probably agree with him.
After the US has broken itself it will cry for mommy Oprah.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
However moronic Trump is or however even more moronic he is unless the democrats can come up with an iconic candidate like Obama Trump will if he choses and is mentally or physically capable of standing will win.
Reagan proved that for the average American it is the economy that matters.

The middle American , southern voter does not give a toss about his latest views.
They probably agree with him.
I think most Americans are concerned about the things that personally affect them rather than the often outrageous comments made by Trump. The tweets and comments get press time for awhile but that's all.

I can name two candidates to run against him, both Californians with distinguished political records, Senator Diane Feinstein and Congressman Adam Schiff.

Much as Oprah Winfrey enjoys widespread popularity do we really need another talk show host up for the candidacy ? As for Elizabeth Warren... Guaranteed 4 more years of Trump
Old Jan 13th 2018, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Two more complete shitholes, Somalia and Zimbabwe
Old Jan 13th 2018, 5:24 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest shithole I've ever been to is Los Angeles.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting replies... Nope I can honestly say I have never referred to any place I have lived or visited as a 'shithole'.. I think it is a male term. I also think it derives from military language and not tourist language.
The main issue is that it is 'dumbing down' language. The language of the bar or the football field where it is deemed ok. It is not language that should be used by the chosen leader of the free world...whatever he thinks personally. When he speaks ,he speaks for America,

Its been very interesting watching the truly excellent TV film.. The Crown..The real insider story of Queen Elizabeth's life and that of her family. The complete difference between what they felt and experienced privately,to that which they presented publicly. It's an example of putting the country and its ideals first,sometimes at great cost to themselves.

That sort of discipline ,duty, has gone in America. If using the language of the latrines is the acceptable future... god help them.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 7:49 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Yeah, that's all lovely except for the fact that remark was made in the context of trying to keep the people from the "shitholes" from being allowed to immigrate to the US.
Worth highlighting this point once again.

The right choice of words is important in a leader, as is its intended meaning.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:31 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Interesting replies... Nope I can honestly say I have never referred to any place I have lived or visited as a 'shithole'.. I think it is a male term. I also think it derives from military language and not tourist language.
The main issue is that it is 'dumbing down' language. The language of the bar or the football field where it is deemed ok. It is not language that should be used by the chosen leader of the free world...whatever he thinks personally. When he speaks ,he speaks for America,

Its been very interesting watching the truly excellent TV film.. The Crown..The real insider story of Queen Elizabeth's life and that of her family. The complete difference between what they felt and experienced privately,to that which they presented publicly. It's an example of putting the country and its ideals first,sometimes at great cost to themselves.

That sort of discipline ,duty, has gone in America. If using the language of the latrines is the acceptable future... god help them.
spot on GeniB

oh and God save the Queen!
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:35 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Had to look it up and apparantly the OED's earliest reference to shithole is as 17th century coarse slang for rectum or anus; moreover, it was 1947 before it became slang for a latrine\toilet.

who knew?
Old Jan 13th 2018, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Biggest shithole I've ever been to is Los Angeles.

Plenty of people coming here legally or illegally to get away from that shithole in Europe.... Spain
Old Jan 13th 2018, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post

Don't be over dramatic and ridiculous. Trump's language does not represent the standards of America, The only person who needs to feel any sense of shame (If he even does) is Trump himself.

Did Prince Phillip's salty language heard publicly over so many years represent the people of Britain? Of course not
Old Jan 13th 2018, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
I suppose the outrage can be boiled down into "I can't believe he said that" and ...
I don't believe it either.
There is an awful lot of fake news about these days.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 10:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post
Worth highlighting this point once again.

Yeah, that's all lovely except for the fact that remark was made in the context of trying to keep the people from the "shitholes" from being allowed to immigrate to the US.

The right choice of words is important in a leader, as is its intended meaning.
Yes, it's certainly worth highlighting Leslie's post. I hope the day never comes when people become so desensitised by Trump's 'I can say whatever I want to' remarks that they just give up commenting on his inflammatory rudeness, denigration and discrimination.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Davo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work for two bosses.

One was kind, considerate, caring and took his time to speak to everyone. Anything controversial he erred on the side of caution. Overall hardly anything ever changed.

The other boss was crass, said it how it was, couldn't care less for people's feelings and was an absolute unpredictable arsehole. He did however make huge changes that positivly affected our wages, increased personal holiday entitlement and made working hours negotiable so long as we worked efficiently. He wasn't popular, almost no one liked him personally but he changed what we'd always done for the best.

I know which one I preferred. So long as no one had to take him home.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement