Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Old Feb 20th 2019, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
I assume they sent it to her last known address.
Which, again, seems unlikely to pass legal muster. At the very least, it's something you pretty much know is going to be latched onto by any legal defence of her. What we do apparently know is that they wrote to her mother asking her to pass on the info. Surely the onus would be on the UK government to locate her and give her the written notice required by statute?

Of course, the flip side is she has no way to travel back to the UK, so the UK government holds a big card there. So my bet is that this leads to a legal action sooner or later. What a mess.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 20th 2019 at 3:04 am.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:04 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

She is not the first dual to go this way, and I do not see how her case is different.

I seem to remember most US Citizens do not have a US Passport, I have no idea if she has a current British Passport or it expired ditto her Bangladeshi Passport.

Also seems unclear where she was born.

The Baby may have a claim for Dutch Citizenship by the sound of it and I thought Dutch did not allow dual citizenship?

What a mess.
I think Dutch allow dual if you are married to a Dutch, but not applicable to the baby in this case.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Which, again, seems unlikely to pass legal muster. At the very least, it's something you pretty much know is going to be latched onto by any legal defence of her. What we do apparently know is that they wrote to her mother asking her to pass on the info. Surely the onus would be on the UK government to locate her and give her the written notice required by statute?

Of course, the flip side is she has no way to travel back to the UK, so the UK government holds a big card there. So my bet is that this leads to a legal action sooner or later. What a mess.
I do not know the verbiage, but strikes me that it would be very odd if you need signed delivery.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

mmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond repute

She was born in the UK, and she has never been to Bangladesh. This is a very dangerous precedent to deprive a natural born British citizen of their nationality. Plus she hasn't committed any violent crime.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmmmbuti View Post
She was born in the UK, and she has never been to Bangladesh. This is a very dangerous precedent to deprive a natural born British citizen of their nationality. Plus she hasn't committed any violent crime.
She presumably have never been to Syria before she went to Syria so not sure what the relevance of that is.

You will find many people on this forum with 2 or more Citizenship's.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:58 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

It is not certain at the moment where this person was born.
What she did or did not do in respect of violent crime is not known at all.
What she colluded with is also not know however her actions & words seem pretty darn clear. Who she colluded with is known.
What she thought was OK to do is known. She said so herself.

This person chose to deprive themselves of the freedoms of the UK using a passport that was not theirs to use. I think the intention is clear.

That this person may now feel a bit uncomfy in her choice because the cause she joined freely is on a back foot, shall we say, should not be the UKs concern. Nor should anyone risk themselves or others for her now. After all this is not an OE and a moment of a mad fling leaving her pregnant we are talking about here.
Likelihood is that if all was going well as she and her cause hoped , then she would still be happy living among beheadings, torture and violence to others & not now pleading to be returned at other people's risk and expence.

Don't get me wrong. I am not happy with the way the world is currently turning, nor with a lot of foreign policies out there but in these days it can be very hard to feel tolerance and understanding for someone like this and that includes the family.

They show no mercy or tolerance or understanding. Why should the UK people.

She presumably have never been to Syria before she went to Syria so not sure what the relevance of that is.

True.
I hold 2 and could hold 3.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

mmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond repute

She is a teenager who has no connection with Bangladesh, and has already had 3 pregnancies. In just 4 years I doubt she had time to do much else other than give birth and try to survive with her kids. She hasn't Bangladesh citizenship yet, she needs to apply for it. Making her stateless after all she went through amounts to politically motivated cruelty to me.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She is a teenager who has no connection with Bangladesh, and has already had 3 pregnancies. In just 4 years I doubt she had time to do much else other than give birth and try to survive with her kids. She hasn't Bangladesh citizenship yet, she needs to apply for it. Making her stateless after all she went through amounts to politically motivated cruelty to me.
Ohh dear

She does not have a Bangladesh Passport, well we do not know but probably does not.

She does not it appears have a UK one either.

You do not need to have a Passport to be a Citizen.

Cruelty had degrees, chopping heads off I would out up there near the top. Never mind the rest of the stuff.

She is Bangladeshi, her Parents are Bangladeshi, seems her father is there at the moment so not sure what the issue with connections is. She may even have been born there, that bit seems unclear.

Last edited by Boiler; Feb 20th 2019 at 5:37 am.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Way to go ! Thumbs Up
Old Feb 20th 2019, 7:20 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

She is not stateless. Read the posts above. The UK cannot remove her British citizenship if it leaves her stateless. Because she holds dual citizenship they can remove her British status, leaving her as a Bangladeshi citizen.
And they are welcome to her.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:20 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post

She is not stateless. Read the posts above. The UK cannot remove her British citizenship if it leaves her stateless. Because she holds dual citizenship they can remove her British status, leaving her as a Bangladeshi citizen.
And they are welcome to her.
Who says she has dual citizenship, no mention of this on the lengthy discussion on BBC2 Newsnight last night.
Is this fact or tabloid nonsense ?.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
The most interesting thing in that statute is this:

"Before making an order under this section in respect of a person the Secretary of State must give the person written notice specifying—"

According to this article the letter:

"... asks her mother to pass on details of the order to her daughter, who is currently in a Syrian refugee camp without access to a phone".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hip-be-stopped

I don't see how this is going to pass legal muster. A British official is going to have to serve her, not her mum. So something else for lawyers to latch onto.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bangladesh preemptively washing their hands of her if she doesn't currently hold a Bangladeshi passport.
It’s worked many times before. Notification is sent to the last known UK address when the jihadi in question is in Syria. Deadline passes and citizenship is removed, usually shortly before the US drops a Hellfire missile on the person in question. The Home Secretary can also waive the person’s appeal right if he feels it’s in the national interest. Not saying it’s right or wrong, but the legal precedent exists.

As for the Bangladeshis, that’s a possibility, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a conversation has already been held with them behind closed doors.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:31 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Who says she has dual citizenship, no mention of this on the lengthy discussion on BBC2 Newsnight last night.
Is this fact or tabloid nonsense ?.
Ah yes, Newsnight, the final arbiter of truth and justice

The Home Office certainly thinks she’s a Bangladeshi citizen, which is all that matters. Go and read up on Bangladeshi nationality law if you want to check it yourself.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:52 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Ah yes, Newsnight, the final arbiter of truth and justice

The Home Office certainly thinks she’s a Bangladeshi citizen, which is all that matters. Go and read up on Bangladeshi nationality law if you want to check it yourself.
So nothing to confirm it , one way or the other...
My view the child should be placed in a loving homes and she in a secure place, investigated for any criminal acts, she is not safe to be bought back into normal society and may never be ..
left in the camp where she will be subject to further brainwashing, , brain washing her child as it grows up, maybe returned to Bangladesh with security as leaky as a colonnder with 1 inch holes is also storing up potential dangers for the UK in the future.
Do we want her becoming a poster girl for radical Islam sitting in front of a laptop somewhere radicalising other confused and vunerable 15 year old girls in the UK...

Last edited by EMR; Feb 20th 2019 at 8:55 am.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:53 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

If she's British she should be allowed to return to Britain - this should be a fundamental & inalienable right of any British citizen, regardless of our distaste for them.

The revoking of her citizenship is clearly politically motivated and morally repugnant. Next Javid will be getting the pitchforks out.

Sure, if we think she has broken British laws she should be tried in a court of law and suitably imprisoned - the longer the better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.