British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/shamima-begum-has-uk-citizenship-revoked-922232/)

BritInParis Feb 21st 2019 12:10 am

Re: Shamima Begum has UK citizenship revoked

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12640644)
What would she be tried for?

Membership of a proscribed group under the Terrorism Act 2000 for starters all the way up to High Treason under the Treason Act 1351.

stevenglish1 Feb 21st 2019 12:23 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12640652)
Membership of a proscribed group under the Terrorism Act 2000 for starters all the way up to High Treason under the Treason Act 1351.

Ah ok, but she won't be beheaded so she'll languish in nick for afew years at taxpayers expense, then some do-gooding twat will want her sentence relaxed because she's a young mum. Then eventually she'll be released and housed, again at tax payers expense, and live out her days spewing hate whilst under the protection of the very people she hates so much. Best off without that sort of rubbish IMO

stevenglish1 Feb 21st 2019 12:26 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12640596)
Leaving terrorist converts in a culture that bred that conversion is hardly the best way to reduce the risk, is it ?

So why would you want her in prison?

BritInParis Feb 21st 2019 12:32 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12640659)
Ah ok, but she won't be beheaded so she'll languish in nick for afew years at taxpayers expense, then some do-gooding twat will want her sentence relaxed because she's a young mum. Then eventually she'll be released and housed, again at tax payers expense, and live out her days spewing hate whilst under the protection of the very people she hates so much. Best off without that sort of rubbish IMO

That is a real risk but both that approach and the stripping her citizenship are two sides of the same coin. Tell the British Muslim community to get its act together and risk being called a Islamphobe or bring Begum and others like her back to the UK to face the music and risk the wrath of the electorate when they get anything less than life imprisonment. It’s been written off as all much too difficult to deal with and therefore precious little effort being made to tackle the underlying cause of the problem. Instead they just merely sweep the symptoms under the carpet. Out of sight, out of mind.

UkWinds5353 Feb 21st 2019 3:25 am

Originally Posted by chawkins99 (Post 12639710)
In a couple of interviews I have seen, she is completely unrepentant. She made a half-hearted apology (when prompted by the interviewer) for incidents such as Manchester Arena but qualified it by saying it was justified retaliation for deaths in Syria. She also said she "wasn't fazed by the sight of severed heads in bins".

I agree with the total innocence of the baby. This is her third child. The previous two both died of disease and malnutrition before they reached 2 years.

I have to agree. It pains me to see young foolish kids giving in to the influence of terrorist because in many ways they are being victimized. But at the end of the day being denied reentry into the country might be the biggest deterrent for these ISIS Brides and fighters from leaving their home and going over to the Middle East to do harm. There is an American that is being denied entry to America that fought for ISIS, and I agree with that decision. I loathe Donald Trump for all that he stands for but this decision imo is the right one. And if you are a bride to a ISIS fighter you are giving aid and comfort to killers.

Shard Feb 21st 2019 6:47 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12640623)
Well let's just look at what's known.
She's 'lived the life' for about four years having been radicalised in the UK, with UK friends and followed a well worn path by others in the UK. It's accepted that radicalisation happens in UK prisons. That's a lot of radicalisation in the UK.

Earlier you asked what evidence there was that it happens in women's prisons. Why wouldn't it?

Perhaps someone who has lived the life and states she has no regrets and justifies some of the killings might be of some use in radicalising others in a women's prison.

What evidence do you have that de-radicalisation would work on her after all this time?

How long a sentence would she get? How long would she be detained for before there would be calls for her to be released and to care for the child she named Jarrah, which means 'able fighter' or 'one who wounds' in Arabic, further suggesting she's not repentant in any way.

Would she become a figurehead for other recruits if kept out of the UK? Maybe. Does ISIS currently have the network for that?

Might it be just as likely that if allowed to return the extremists' response would be "look how weak they are in the UK demonstrating what a soft target they are for our attacks."

She's living rough, probably in danger from various factions, probably some who would like revenge. ISIS reportedly on its last legs, although doubtless there are plenty of alternatives and others ready to take up jihad. I'm just not convinced that there's more of a danger to the UK, or anywhere else, left where she is. Back in the UK she'd be far more 'visible' and maybe a nice figurehead for further recruitment than in some anonymous refugee camp along with 35,000 others.

That said, I'm not comfortable with the response of the government. But I'll not be shedding a tear.

:goodpost:

Let her mature a bit in a grotty refugee camp and think on her actions. UK prison awaits.

EMR Feb 21st 2019 7:41 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12640661)
So why would you want her in prison?

Because she us a member of a proscribed group.
Do keep up.

stevenglish1 Feb 21st 2019 7:52 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12640760)
Because she us a member of a proscribed group.
Do keep up.

oh I'm keeping up don't you worry, and what would be the sentence she'd get for this offence ?

Expatrick Feb 21st 2019 7:56 am

5000 Forints says she'll be pregnant again in the next few months.

spouse of scouse Feb 21st 2019 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12640772)
5000 Forints says she'll be pregnant again in the next few months.

That's a bit tacky, and not really relevant to the discussion.

Expatrick Feb 21st 2019 7:58 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12640773)
That's a bit tacky, and not really relevant to the discussion.

Actually it is relevant, as a tool to aid her situation.

EMR Feb 21st 2019 7:58 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12640768)
oh I'm keeping up don't you worry, and what would be the sentence she'd get for this offence ?

But I would also want her detained until she is no longer regarded as a threat to UK society and a believer in Isis., this shoildctake much longer than any statutory sentence.
We did it in NI both sides of the troubles were detained without trial for years.

That would apply to all returning Isis members.

stevenglish1 Feb 21st 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12640775)
But I would also want her detained until she is no longer regarded as a threat to UK society and a believer in Isis., this shoildctake much longer than any statutory sentence.
We did it in NI both sides of the troubles were detained without trial for years.

That would apply to all returning Isis members.

​​​​​let her run wild and free to live her dream, not locked up in a cage like an animal you heartless brute . Your willingness to spend other people's money on her is ridiculous.

Scamp Feb 21st 2019 8:49 am

Simple.

Tell her she can stay, but she has to live in Portsmouth.

Watch her ****ing sprint to Bangladesh.

EMR Feb 21st 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12639926)
The most interesting thing in that statute is this:

"Before making an order under this section in respect of a person the Secretary of State must give the person written notice specifying—"

According to this article the letter:

"... asks her mother to pass on details of the order to her daughter, who is currently in a Syrian refugee camp without access to a phone".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hip-be-stopped

I don't see how this is going to pass legal muster. A British official is going to have to serve her, not her mum. So something else for lawyers to latch onto.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bangladesh preemptively washing their hands of her if she doesn't currently hold a Bangladeshi passport.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12640801)
Simple.

Tell her she can stay, but she has to live in Portsmouth.

Watch her ****ing sprint to Bangladesh.

​​​​​​
How about Luton. I would probably join her on the same flight