Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence

Scottish Independence

Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:05 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Green Grass View Post
I wasn't talking about local news, I was referring to national news where the sports bulletins focus on what England are doing way above all else.
This might be because the population of England is ten times bigger than Scotland. And nobody English thinks the London-based media is good for anything. They are all a shower of alarmist wankers. Having lived in Wales for a long time I get what you are saying. But proportionally and economically Scotland and Wales just aren't the audience that the Guardian-worshipping sycophants in London give a toss about. If you think Scotland is special here try living anywhere north of the M25 - it is exactly the same. Story after story after story about London and balls to the rest of England.

But more importantly you should blame BBC Scotland. BBC Scotland exists and in the late 90s demanded quite loudly to be in charge of things like coverage of uniquely Scottish things. So - in typical Scottish fashion - they wrestled a national identity for themselves and then complained that the so-called British voice of the news also pay lip-service at the same time.

Do you remember in the early 2000s when the BBC changed it's weather map so that the London areas was unusually massive and you couldn't even see the Isle of Skye? Now that was the behavior of a group of arse-monkeys that just so happened to be English. Which is hardly surprising considering the UK is massively overwhelmingly made up of England and the English.

The thing is - like Norm says above - 99.9% of English people don't even notice. They just don't think about it.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:10 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex View Post
This might be because the population of England is ten times bigger than Scotland. And nobody English thinks the London-based media is good for anything. They are all a shower of alarmist wankers. Having lived in Wales for a long time I get what you are saying. But proportionally and economically Scotland and Wales just aren't the audience that the Guardian-worshipping sycophants in London give a toss about. If you think Scotland is special here try living anywhere north of the M25 - it is exactly the same. Story after story after story about London and balls to the rest of England.

But more importantly you should blame BBC Scotland. BBC Scotland exists and in the late 90s demanded quite loudly to be in charge of things like coverage of uniquely Scottish things. So - in typical Scottish fashion - they wrestled a national identity for themselves and then complained that the so-called British voice of the news also pay lip-service at the same time.

Do you remember in the early 2000s when the BBC changed it's weather map so that the London areas was unusually massive and you couldn't even see the Isle of Skye? Now that was the behavior of a group of arse-monkeys that just so happened to be English. Which is hardly surprising considering the UK is massively overwhelmingly made up of England and the English.

The thing is - like Norm says above - 99.9% of English people don't even notice. They just don't think about it.
That's true of southern news as well, you'd think everyone down here lived in Southampton, I guess someone has to.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:14 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs View Post
I think it started in 1320.
Around lunchtime?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:15 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

A better question people should be asking is why does the BBC devote 80% of it's coverage to US news. It is ****ing irritating. Talk about something else for God sake.

The BBC only run two main types of stories alongside their constant Everything Is About Being Green drip drip stories. One is about the US - mostly critical - from minor traffic accidents to huge political machinations as if it effects everyone even when it patently does not. The second are about the US - mostly critical - about how annoying they think it is that US culture/news/events are constantly broadcast overseas - I mean how ****ing arrogant that they think that British people would even care....

All that real news - all those other countries - they could try one of those once in a while. Europe is massive and actually has more clout in the UK than the US. It's a horrible bias. Think about it - there are hundreds of countries with thousands of events occurring every single day. And yet the BBC editors chose to spend 2 minutes of their 30 minute main news segment on a shooting in Arkansas. Why? It's not to be flattering.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:43 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely remember someone once making the same kind of accusations against the US media.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do the Scots get to vote and not the English? Shouldn't the English have a say in whether they want to be independent from Scotland? It's a bit onesided imo.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:12 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Why do the Scots get to vote and not the English? Shouldn't the English have a say in whether they want to be independent from Scotland? It's a bit onesided imo.
Because the Scots have been playing the victim card, for years.
As an Englishman, I'd happily vote to give England our independence from Scotland.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:16 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex View Post
A better question people should be asking is why does the BBC devote 80% of it's coverage to US news. It is ****ing irritating. Talk about something else for God sake.

The BBC only run two main types of stories alongside their constant Everything Is About Being Green drip drip stories. One is about the US - mostly critical - from minor traffic accidents to huge political machinations as if it effects everyone even when it patently does not. The second are about the US - mostly critical - about how annoying they think it is that US culture/news/events are constantly broadcast overseas - I mean how ****ing arrogant that they think that British people would even care....

All that real news - all those other countries - they could try one of those once in a while. Europe is massive and actually has more clout in the UK than the US. It's a horrible bias. Think about it - there are hundreds of countries with thousands of events occurring every single day. And yet the BBC editors chose to spend 2 minutes of their 30 minute main news segment on a shooting in Arkansas. Why? It's not to be flattering.
Are you watching BBC America? If you watch the BBC world news on PBS, you'll find that it's pretty balanced international news. When I was home in the UK during the summer, I didn't notice any over proportional coverage of the US events, thankfully.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
As an Englishman, I'd happily vote to give England our independence from Scotland.
I think it would be sad. As I've said on another thread on the subject, the two countries are indelibly linked in many many ways. However I live in Aus so it's kind of irrelevant to me and probably to 99.9% of all UK citizens as well.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:20 pm

Are you watching BBC America? If you watch the BBC world news on PBS, you'll find that it's pretty balanced international news. When I was home in the UK during the summer, I didn't notice any over proportional coverage of the US events, thankfully.
Yeah, BBC America is totally different, mostly it's about Europe in the shite here at the moment.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:29 pm
Yeah that guy.

No I'm referring to actual BBC News. The one on PBS is alright actually. The BBC America show is garbage.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
Heard there was a "rebuild Hadrians Wall" fund going - where do I send me fiver?
When you get the address, let me know.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:57 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
About time the rest of the UK had independence from Scotland, them busybodies did nothing but damage to how the UK is viewed around the world with their Scottish led invasions and empire, and since the collapse of the empire we have had every second prime minister seems to be Scottish.

All started with Nova Scotia and Darian.
Don't forget Gordon 'king Brown.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:37 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
You call it arrogance, I call it national pride and hope, in the face of almost certain failure. And the reason the other British nations are practically ignored, is because they never achieve anything, other than the occasional rugby union fluke.
Alex Higgins and Gary Moore would both like to disagree with you, if they were alive

I get your point though, even back home we all talked about the Premiership in the pub. Other than 'Oh, Linfield and Rangers won again, good stuff', we didn't really mention the other leagues.

Scottish independence is all very well and very 'right on', but does that start the slippery slope of the dissolution of the entire UK, resulting in NI being handed back to the Micks? I'd really not want to see that happening, nor see me losing my British citizenship in the process
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post

Scottish independence is all very well and very 'right on', but does that start the slippery slope of the dissolution of the entire UK, resulting in NI being handed back to the Micks? I'd really not want to see that happening, nor see me losing my British citizenship in the process
Wouldn't that be UK citizenship?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.