Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn

Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 11:56 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
Serious question. Are you actually hopeful of achieving a majority in parliament that favours holding a second referendum, and where are the numbers for it going to come from?
I think it's more likely a hung parliament, and a second referendum will be the only way forward. Democracy has a stubborn way of asserting itself.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 11:58 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The public are getting the opportunity to voice their opinions right now.
Indeed. Boris is dangling the golden paradise before them, the public just needs to bite in sufficiently large numbers. Express their will and all that.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
Yes, it is naive. It is a constitutional principle in the UK that no parliament can bind its successor or be bound by its predecessors; and the UK does not have direct democracy, and no parliament has within its power to force direct democracy upon its successors.

Criticism of the non-implementation of the referendum result is certainly justified, but it should be levelled at Cameron. He was the one who made a promise that he failed to keep.
I said it may sound naive, not that I am naive!! What you have started with is irrelevant and nothing to do with what I said. The referendum commitment was by the standing parliament not its successors or predecessors. Cameron was only part of it. The H. o.C. voted they would implement the result. It was a majority decision by all parties.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:17 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
I said it may sound naive, not that I am naive!! What you have started with is irrelevant and nothing to do with what I said. The referendum commitment was by the standing parliament not its successors or predecessors. Cameron was only part of it. The H. o.C. voted they would implement the result. It was a majority decision by all parties.
I wish you could find that vote because I don't remember it. Was it before or after the referendum? Do you mean they voted to implement Article 50?

Anyway parliament hasn't implemented the result yet but might well do at some point thereby fulfilling its commitment (assuming it did actually make that commitment).

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:19 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Serious question. Are you actually hopeful of achieving a majority in parliament that favours holding a second referendum, and where are the numbers for it going to come from?
That would be good but I think the most likely outcomes are Tory majority and hung parliament in that order.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
I wish you could find that vote because I don't remember it. Was it before or after the referendum? Do you mean they voted to implement Article 50?

Anyway parliament hasn't implemented the result yet but might well do at some point thereby fulfilling its commitment (assuming it did actually make that commitment).
They voted to implement it (the result of the referendum) before the referendum. Sorry about not finding it (well I did actually !) pasting it is the problem, sorry again.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:30 pm
F.orum Ape

They voted to implement it (the result of the referendum) before the referendum. Sorry about not finding it (well I did actually !) pasting it is the problem, sorry again.
I think you're confused about the process. Parliament did not vote implement the referendum result, they voted to trigger Article 50. The referendum was drafted as advisory, and there has been no legal change to that. Some argue that politicians pledged to implement the result, and indeed claimed they would do so in manifesto promises, but there has been no legislation to "implement" otherwise, surely, Nigel would be shouting about that all day.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
I think you're confused about the process. Parliament did not vote implement the referendum result, they voted to trigger Article 50. The referendum was drafted as advisory, and there has been no legal change to that. Some argue that politicians pledged to implement the result, and indeed claimed they would do so in manifesto promises, but there has been no legislation to "implement" otherwise, surely, Nigel would be shouting about that all day.
Not in the slightest confused. It was a majority vote by all parties to implement the the result of the referendum. I have covered all that 'advisory' business previouisly.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:37 pm
F.orum Ape

Not in the slightest confused. It was a majority vote by all parties to implement the the result of the referendum. I have covered all that 'advisory' business previouisly.
Well why does nobody on the thread, nobody in the media, and nobody in the Leave campaign ever refer to it?
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's more likely a hung parliament, and a second referendum will be the only way forward. Democracy has a stubborn way of asserting itself.
Except in June 2016, obviously.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:45 pm
F.orum Ape

Except in June 2016, obviously.
No, that's the whole point. The result was a false positive. That's why it's been so difficult to implement.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

No, that's the whole point. The result was a false positive. That's why it's been so difficult to implement.
I see. We've already had Eric throwing around his "bogus referendum" bullshit. False positive must be the latest buzzword tactic to try and discredit the vote.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:00 pm
F.orum Ape

I see. We've already had Eric throwing around his "bogus referendum" bullshit. False positive must be the latest buzzword tactic to try and discredit the vote.
Isn't it a bit desperate to keep hanging on to June 2016? It'll be 4 years soon. Need to move on. Figure out a new path.

It wasn't discredited, it was treated with the utmost seriousness. Two withdrawal agreements were negotiated. Extensions given. But some how, the great Brexit God in the Sky says, No.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:16 pm
FreeThinker

There was no such vote. You made it up.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:35 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
There was no such vote. You made it up.
All : (loudly) "OH, YES HE DID!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.